Keratosis pilaris - red blotchy skin on top of arms

Options
I've got red pimply/blotchy skin on the top of my arms, looks a bit like a rash...always been there for as long as I remember. Anyway, finally found out it was there for a reason, and not just bad circulation and because I'm overweight. It's called Keratosis pilaris, an over production of keratin which blocks the pores and makes red spots

My question is...has anyone suffered from this and found it has improved/not improved with weightloss/fitness? I wouldn't like to think that when I'm all toned and sexy again (I wish!) it's still going to be there

All the remedies seem to be aimed at exfoilation and moisturisation...none mention being able to stop over production of keratin.

Does anyone know anything about this? thanks x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

Replies

• littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to it with a pic : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My kids have seen doctors for it and they have some special lotion. Good news for you- if that is you in the picture- it does tend to go away or at least lesson in your 30's.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sorry. I still have it.
  • littledumplings
    Options
    No, thats a google photo! but mine's very similar. As for 30's....I'm 43 lol! x
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I and my mom also have it. I'm guessing that it is genetic, though I have found that it usually appears a bit worse when my skin is really dry. Body lotion seems to help it a bit.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I find exfoliating helps, try a Salux washcloth. I cannot recommend that product enough.
  • ajrulo
    ajrulo Posts: 50
    Options
    I have this too! Hasn't gotten better with just weight loss. I have had some luck with alpha hydroxy lotions, salt scrubs, etc.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I and my mom also have it. I'm guessing that it is genetic, though I have found that it usually appears a bit worse when my skin is really dry. Body lotion seems to help it a bit.

It is. My sisters both had it (one of them had it go away as an adult, me and the other one still have it). One of my daughters have it too. I actually feel bad about it!
  • nancylynn333
    Options
    I have it too. Aveeno works wonders.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I am 50 pounds lighter than I was in high school, and I still have the bumps. It definitely looks much better on thinner arms, but otherwise I've had no success with creams, lotions and all that stuff. I find that once I'm tan in the summertime and it isn't as noticeable, but otherwise I'm still stuck with it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have KP on my upper arms and BADLY on my legs. There is no cure and you can only "keep the symptoms in check".

Dermatologists recommend exfoliating scrub (such as dermadoctor) in conjunction with twice daily use of lotions/creams containing AHA and BHA. (amlactin lotion or dermadoctor KP duty lotion)

Mine get better but will never fully go away. :(
  • littledumplings
    Options
    Thanks everyone...looks like I'm stuck with it then :( and I hope my daughter doesn't get it too..you'd think there would be a way to stop the over-production of keratin rather than just treat the bumps by scrubbing. I really thought it was a 'fat thing' lol x
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Dad told me it was Irish Skin. I'm 43 and it hasn't gotten better. everyone always thinks my upper arms are sunburned. Wish there was a way to reverse it!
  • giantsfaninvt
    giantsfaninvt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try AmLactin lotion twice a day. My doctor recommended it and it works really well.
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh I have this too. It's not so noticeable in summer though and in winter I tend to cover up anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. I think it's quite common actually.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It may be an EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) deficiency or Vitamin A (retinol) deficiency.

This post from Hunt, Gather, Love:
    http://huntgatherlove.com/content/curing-keratosis-pilaris-part-ii
  • shaeni1221
    Options
    I also have it. I used to be very self conscious about it when I was younger, (I'm 41) but I don't really care so much anymore. It is better now though, but still there and people always ask if I am sunburnt. It looks a little better in the summer when I have a little color, I don't really tan, but I'll get some color. I would love to have gorgeous smooth skin, but have come to terms with the fact that I never will. Ihave it on my legs also.

What breaks my heart is that my 15 year old daughter has it too, and she hates it
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I also have it. I used to be very self conscious about it when I was younger, (I'm 41) but I don't really care so much anymore. It is better now though, but still there and people always ask if I am sunburnt. It looks a little better in the summer when I have a little color, I don't really tan, but I'll get some color. I would love to have gorgeous smooth skin, but have come to terms with the fact that I never will. Ihave it on my legs also.

What breaks my heart is that my 15 year old daughter has it too, and she hates it

See my post above.
  • bewitched2
    Options
    Mine went away completely when I was vacationing in Asia for 1 month, but as soon as I returned back to North America, it came back within 2 weeks. I've asked several dermatologists why and they all said that it was the humidity there that did the trick. They also said that it is genetic and is very common. One dermatologist said something like 50% of people have it (although I'm not too sure if those figures are true). I'm going to give AmLactin a try.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've had it all my life. Only time it went away is in high school when I was taking Accutane for Acne, but I quickly got off that nasty drug and since just dealt with it.

I recently began experiencing plaque psoriasis and was given a topical steroid betamethasone for that. I mentioned the KP to the doc at the time and he mentioned to give it a shot. I've been applying once a day for the past week and its lightened up a lot. If it keeps up, it may be gone after a few weeks.