Which one should I trust...my scale or the WII

Options
I have a very cheap digital scale that i weigh myself on and then I've been weighing myself on the WII fit that I have as well. They are giving different readings about 3 pounds difference. Which one would you go with? Are the WII's that accurate?

Replies

• melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have a very cheap digital scale that i weigh myself on and then I've been weighing myself on the WII fit that I have as well. They are giving different readings about 3 pounds difference. Which one would you go with? Are the WII's that accurate?
  • Anne1882
    Anne1882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My wii says i weight 145, and i weigh about 175... Go with your scale :) I don't know why mine is so off, but it is for some reason, maybe i can fix it... hmm... anyway, scales are always goin to be more accurate. Good luck with your weightloss! :drinker:
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Deff your scales. my scales say im 191 but yet with the Wii it keeps saying im up and down all the time one day it said i lost 5lb then it said i put 3 on .
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    trust your mirror, and how you feel, and maybe your tape measure. The scale should be a long term meta data analysis tool only. By long term I mean, a median weight calculator that combines months of data to form a pattern, not an exact measurement.

Combine the fact that our bodies can fluctuate five pounds up or down on any given day, with the fact that a normal bathroom scale can be as much as 10 lbs off, and what do you have? A very imprecise measuring tool.

The one good thing about a scale is that it's usually off by the same amount.

So if, over the course of say 2 months, you take 8 to 10 measurements, you can track whether you are dropping weight with it, but to measure 1 day or 1 week against the last is probably not a good indicator of progress and should be taken with an extreme grain of salt.

For instance, Monday I weighed 181.5
    Last week I weighted 183.5 (same time of day, week, and both times naked at 6 am on Monday).
    I KNOW I didn't lose 2 lbs last week (I'm actually trying to gain weight, and eating a calorie surplus at this point because I've reached my goal and am trying for muscle mass increases), so what does that leave me? Water weight, fluctuation in muscle glycogen levels, and waste in my system. See what I mean? It doesn't bother me, I'm going by body fat % now anyway, but I always like to see the scale just to see what's happening weight wise, it's amusing to me now, cuz I don't really care what I weigh anymore, I care how strong I feel, and how healthy I am.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I personally use my wii every day, but more for tracking. Just like I upload data from my polar HRM every day, and my nike+ every day. It gives me metrics to keep track of my progress. Weighing in doesn't really distract me from my goal, its just a number to me anyways. My big goal is increasing my VO2MAX and looking naked in the mirror. Neither one of those will be indicated by a scale in the long run.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi SHBoss 1673,
    Thanks for talking about the scale and how much your body fluctates weight wise. I joined this site 2 months ago and was doing really well. i did it for 2 weeks after eating clean and working out properly .After 2 weeks straight the scale said I lost nothing . I was so depressed I stopped working out again.
    I've come to the conclusion see how clothes fit and try not to rely on the scale so much. Here I go again ,I know I can do it. Thanks
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am one of those crazy people who actually weigh everyday, but I do not get crazy by daily fluctuations. For me as long as the average numbers are still heading lower I am happy. I do however like to check on those days that I have "gained" how much sodium I had the day before. Too much sodium and I can gain up 3 pounds in a day. Watch the sodim and the weight can be gone the next day.

Oh and back on topic my Wii Fit scale is all over the place. I can gain or lose weight just by stepping on and getting back on. I use my bathroom scale. I have know idea how acurate it is but it helps me know if I am losing or not.:smile:
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    I myself dont have a wii but a friend of mine does and has the same problem with her scale and the wii being a different number. Im not sure about how accurate the wii is but mabey just wiegh yourself on just one of them and keep track with that instead of going back and forth and never knowing for sure. Good luck :smile:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I use the wii fit scale since my bathroom scale broke years ago and I just never replaced it (LOL, could be why I'm here today :wink: )

I use it as a general tool so that I can see the progress over a length of time. I also take measurements (thanks to My Fitness Coach) and see the progress that way, too. It's not always about the pounds I lose, so if the wii's off, I don't sweat it. I know it's going to flucuate.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    My wii says i weight 145, and i weigh about 175... Go with your scale :) I don't know why mine is so off, but it is for some reason, maybe i can fix it... hmm... anyway, scales are always goin to be more accurate. Good luck with your weightloss! :drinker:

Do you have your wii on the carpet? If so you can use the included feet attachments that raise the wii fit about an inch off the ground. I wasn't happy with the wii fit's weight readings until I discovered these tiny feet. Now I find it very close to my digital scale. I think the Wii reads in .1 lb increments while my scale does .2. Now I use the Wii scale to keep track of my weight progress everyday.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Just use one or the other and stick with the same one....don't switch back and forth.