As of today I am a non-smoker

Options
2»

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My first, most important tool was the committment-making process - I had to want it, and I did. I used the patch and a quit date, and don't let anyone tell anyone that you can't cut a patch in half if a whole one is too strong for you - I did that and used a 'step down' method.
    \
    My boyfriend is going on 6 weeks as of MONDAY..... H O O R A Y !!!!!! and he used Chantix.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Way to go you!!! There's nothing better you can do for your long term health than quit. We'll be as supportive as possible.
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options
    SWEET!!! Way to go! Let me know if you need anything!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help you in your journey to quit!

www.myinlife.com/lorimcbride200
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
    A brief update -- so far I have not had a cigarette. It had been really hard, especially in the evening when watching tv. The cravings are definitely there but I think I am holding up fairly well so far. I do find myself forgetting though and thinking I could really use a glass of wine or beer and a smoke ... and then I'm like or right I'm not doing that anymore :happy: Hopefully that mindset of it being such a part of my routine and kind of like a reward for a hard day will change.
  • KatWood
    Options
    My first, most important tool was the committment-making process - I had to want it, and I did. I used the patch and a quit date, and don't let anyone tell anyone that you can't cut a patch in half if a whole one is too strong for you - I did that and used a 'step down' method.
    \
    My boyfriend is going on 6 weeks as of MONDAY..... H O O R A Y !!!!!! and he used Chantix.

I find that I am really good about making excuses to put this off but I am commited. I'm using my upcoming half marathon and saving money for a new home as extra motivation.

Congrats to you and your bf! I've heard alot about Chantix. If I find the cravings completely unbearable I will definitely give a stop smoking aide a try. To you get Chantix from your doctor? If it's a prescription I can claim it at work :smile:
  • Jennyryan21
    Jennyryan21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can do it... I did it about a month and a half ago and I never thought I would be able to. One day I just decided not to go buy anymore. The first 3 days are the hardest and then it gets easier. Everytime I had that "gotta have it" craving I found something else to do (go for a quick walk, play with the dog for a few minutes) and it eventually goes away. My weakness was in my car because that's where I smoked the most. I kept a stash of lollipops in there so I had something to hold and that same arm motion and it helped ease the desire. Good luck!!!
  • Poison5119
    Options
    \

I find that I am really good about making excuses to put this off but I am commited. I'm using my upcoming half marathon and saving money for a new home as extra motivation.

Congrats to you and your bf! I've heard alot about Chantix. If I find the cravings completely unbearable I will definitely give a stop smoking aide a try. To you get Chantix from your doctor? If it's a prescription I can claim it at work :smile:

Fortunately, my mother, who lives in Costa Rica, and I visited recently, bought some for 60$ for a two week supplyOTC, without a drs prescription bought them expressely for him, and he is VERY resistant to change, but it worked for him. IN the US, it will probably run you $200 for a one month script (+-) , but it will MOST ASSUREDLY help you. Chantix, like Zyban, is an anti-depressant and removes the desire, and cravings for nicotine. Pair that with your DESIRE to quit, you cannot fail. Most Dr.s in the US will prescribe it without arguement, if that's the way you feel you need to go and if youre commited to the change.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    On our drive to the docs office today, we passed two teenagers, maybe 13-14, biking and both had cigs hanging out of there mouths, disgusting. Exercising and killing themselves at the same time, odd :noway:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    On our drive to the docs office today, we passed two teenagers, maybe 13-14, biking and both had cigs hanging out of there mouths, disgusting. Exercising and killing themselves at the same time, odd :noway:

I see that all the time around the high school I teach at and it drives me INSANE.
  • KatWood
    Options

That's sad seeing kids so young smoking. I must say I am happy they were biking though. It seems like a lot of kids that age stay home playing video games. Biking and smoking though, not only is that odd but personally I am not that coordinated ... must be those video games.

Part of the reason I decided to quit was that I recognized that it was a bit odd to still smoke when I am trying to improve my lifestyle and health. Also, since my weightloss has inspired others in my life to be active and more healthy I felt guilty smoking, almost like I was living a lie or letting them down.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Lets just hope the reason for the bike ride wasn't to buy the cigs :laugh:
  • KatWood
    Options
    Ok. So to keep myself accountable I think I'll continue to give brief updates.

3 days has gone by and I have not had a smoke .. or a drink for that matter. I feel pretty good. Coughing a bit but I expected that from when I have quite before. I have had some pretty bad cravings but they do go away. What got me through the weekend was brownies and painting. Hopefully the brownies won't have to be a habit. I'm thinking of taking up drinking herbal tea at night while watching tv to keep my hands busy since that is when I use to smoke the most.

So hopefully the hump is over and it will be smooth sailing from here. My aunt has invited us to spend the night next Saturday. I'm pretty worried about it since her and my uncle are heavy smokers and when we ususally go over there we tend to polish off a few bottles of wine and pack of smokes. I love spending time with them, they are awesome people, so young at heart, but this will certainly be a test of my willpower!

Have a great smoke free week everyone!
  • Poison5119
    Options

That's sad seeing kids so young smoking. I must say I am happy they were biking though. It seems like a lot of kids that age stay home playing video games. Biking and smoking though, not only is that odd but personally I am not that coordinated ... must be those video games.

Part of the reason I decided to quit was that I recognized that it was a bit odd to still smoke when I am trying to improve my lifestyle and health. Also, since my weightloss has inspired others in my life to be active and more healthy I felt guilty smoking, almost like I was living a lie or letting them down.

I've always wondered what the point is when seeing someone riding a bike and smoking too.

It is very difficult to get oxygen to the muscles during a workout if you're a smoker; you can get healthy, just not as efficiently, and there's a 'stopping point' where your body will not be able to jump the hurdle that tar in your lungs creates!!
    I'm rooting for you, and do keep us updated. Try to remember it's only a glass of wine, and there's no need to pick up a cigarette - learn to disassociate smokes from drinking! You'll even enjoy the wine better without the nasty taste of nicotine in your mouth!! Have fun!