What do you do when you're sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• stablesong
    Options
    If I have a cold, I'll usually try to stick to my budgets but take it easy on exercise. I have a bad habit of not realizing how awful I feel (especially if I'm feverish) until I'm trying to work out and can barely move the elliptical. I sleep and lay around a lot more but I try to at least keep my daily activity to its usual levels.

When I had mono in August, though, my throat was so sore it hurt to swallow my own saliva and I couldn't manage to eat more than about half a poptart at a time without wanting to cry, so I just ate as much as I could of foods I could break into tiny pieces. I was only eating a few hundred calories a day, though, so I felt even crappier than I probably would have if I had been able to eat, and I lost a few pounds which came right back when I started eating again. If my illness is anything big like that, I just do what I can. Being sick usually puts me off of binging or eating large quantities anyway.
  • elks94
    elks94 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Last night, I went running with girlfriends it was 47 degrees. After breathing in all the cold air it triggered a cough attack for an hour or so. My nose ran the entire run and has not stopped today. If you do any exercise, I would recommend making it light and short, get plenty of fluids and rest. I will not be running again until I'm over it. It's just a road bump in our journey...this too shall pass :-)
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend finally shared whatever bug he's had the last few days with me. I spent this morning in a ball on the couch, but then I decided that it wasn't making me feel any better. I forced myself to get up and get out for a short walk. I don't think I feel better for having done it, but I definitely don't feel worse. Also, I've been craving carbs in a very. serious. way. I want a lot of bread and pasta. I compromised with some wheat toast for breakfast and a sandwich for dinner, on a typically forbidden white bread roll. Still a little under on my calories for the day!
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fighting a really bad chest cold right now. I went without exercise altogether for about 5 days because I was too tired and my lung capacity was horrible. If it hadn't been so cold, I probably would have tried to go for a few walks at least.

Today I forced myself to go to the gym even though I still have a wicked cough. I ended up doing a step class and even though I couldn't push myself as hard as I normally would, it was better than nothing and I ended up feeling great afterwards.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Got sick back in late November and didn't get better til around mid January. I did not exercise the whole time due to a bad cough and i ate whatever I wanted, seems like when I can't workout I eat horribly, two bad combinations. I gained about 10 lbs :-/

Best to stick to your calorie goals as best as possible but I know one does not feel like cooking when sick, hope you feel better soon
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i have a cold and to top it off i came down with a stomach bug today too....and so did my 18month old daughter....dont think ill be eating much of anything the next couple days
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    Can I please urge those of you who go to the gym when you have a cold to stop doing that. If you have to get in some exercise do it at home or outside, please don't go coughing in an enclosed space with lots of people who are breathing heavily. It's really not very nice to make other people sick, and for some people like me a cold can progress easily to bronchitis or pneumonia due to childhood lung damage and I hate having to use an inhaler or go to the hospital.