I need some help with my tummy! *pic included*

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
OK, here's the deal, I'm been working on toning via strength training for about 3 weeks now, pretty intensely, and before that too though less intensely. I've notice MAJOR changes and improvements in my arms, thighs, calves and lower back. MAJOR. My my tummy seems to be at a standstill. I really want to be ready and comfortable for bikini season but with my tummy like this I'm really not feelin it.

My tummy is not "big" it's just soft... I'm 5'6" and weigh 142 lbs. My waist is abouot 28" around so no, not that big. But I can't seem to firm up the area. I need some ideas for exercises I can incorporate, especially to tone my lower abs. My upper abs are doing alright with cruches but I obviously need more. I just started doing pilates, which may or may not help, I'm not sure, but since I just started that, obviously no results yet. Does anyone have advice? A bunch of you have posted fab ab shots lately and I am SO jealous. :cry: I included this pic just so people don't think I'm whining about nothing, my tummy has genuine problems.

thank you :flowerforyou:

[/img]http://photos.myfitnesspal.com/images/photos/49/255/49255_3282.jpg[img][/img]

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Options
    OK, here's the deal, I'm been working on toning via strength training for about 3 weeks now, pretty intensely, and before that too though less intensely. I've notice MAJOR changes and improvements in my arms, thighs, calves and lower back. MAJOR. My my tummy seems to be at a standstill. I really want to be ready and comfortable for bikini season but with my tummy like this I'm really not feelin it.

My tummy is not "big" it's just soft... I'm 5'6" and weigh 142 lbs. My waist is abouot 28" around so no, not that big. But I can't seem to firm up the area. I need some ideas for exercises I can incorporate, especially to tone my lower abs. My upper abs are doing alright with cruches but I obviously need more. I just started doing pilates, which may or may not help, I'm not sure, but since I just started that, obviously no results yet. Does anyone have advice? A bunch of you have posted fab ab shots lately and I am SO jealous. :cry: I included this pic just so people don't think I'm whining about nothing, my tummy has genuine problems.

thank you :flowerforyou:

[/img]http://photos.myfitnesspal.com/images/photos/49/255/49255_3282.jpg[img][/img]
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    49255_3282.jpg
  • brandnewsummerb
    Options
    hey! Are you doing cardio along with your strength training? Cardio burns more calories and fat than strength training does on its own...try doing it for at least half an hour if you can! If not, you can work your way up :) good luck!!!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    thanks Lauren, I don't know why I couldn't get it to post! ugh.

Yes! I do cardio EVERYDAY. Here's my routine:

I do a 2 day rotation.

day 1:
    40 mins pilates (just added)

5 mins speed walking (warm up)
    15 mins jogging
    5 mins speed walking
    15 mins jogging
    5 mins walking (cool down)

2 sets, 10 reps tricep dips
    3 sets, 10 reps, 10lb weight tricep push-downs
    2 sets, 7 reps, 10 lb weight, tricep extensions
    2 sets, 7 reps, 10 lbs weight, bicep curls (each side)
    3 sets, 10 reps, 5 lbs weight, hammercurl (each side)

Day 2:
    40 mins pilates (just added)

5 mins speed walking (warm up)
    15 mins jogging
    5 mins speed walking
    15 mins jogging
    5 mins walking (cool down)

2 sets, 5 reps (each side) lunge
    3 sets, 10 reps, 10 lb weight, squats
    3 sets, 10 reps, 30 lb weight, leg press
    3 sets, 15 reps, calf raises
    3 sets, 10 reps, 25 lb weight, lat pull-downs
    3 sets, 15 reps, upper-ab crunches

I do the pilates early in the morning, and the rest in the early evening. I think I really just need some ideas for exercises that concentrate on the ab area. I'm not expecting a 6-pack or anything, I just want a smoother tummer so I can be comfy in a 2-peice bathing suit!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i've been doing a pilates class twice a week for about a year now and i've noticed major differences in my core...just feeling stronger and actually having muscles there when i flex it. so i'm a big believer in pilates!

if you live in a remote area and can't find community classes (i take mine at a small movement and wellness center near my home), i've heard that the windsor pilates series of dvd's is good too. but you have to push yourself. i think i do better in a class setting, because i have to push myself to work as hard as the person next to me :bigsmile: don't wanna look like a wussy!

hope this helps....in addition, my pilates class incorporates planks, bridging, arm weights, ankle weights, stability balls, "bender balls" (which are amazing!!), and resistance bands- which all take the exercises to the next level!

good luck to you kerri and congrats on all your weight loss success! :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I WISH I had your tummy. I can't even post a pic of my belly, it's that embarrassing! I'm tone all over, and in great shape, but I have so much belly skin hanging and about a 1" layer of fat that it makes me mad. You look AWESOME!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I do reverse crunches/leg lift on this stand in my weight room. I also do plate lift ab workouts in the weight room. PLANKS! Do front and side both.

Leg lifts...lay on back, lift legs slowly together, then back down slowly. Just before reaching the ground spread legs with control then back together again and slowly lift legs in the air. Never letting them touch the ground.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the same thing Kerri. I'm totally happy with the rest of my body, but I have a soft tummy. Of course, I also have stretch marks to worry about, so you've got a leg up on me there. I'm doing 100 situps (50 normal and 50 bicycle) everyday this month as a start, and then I'm going to start increasing. I've heard that pilates is good for toning, but know nothing for sure from experience. I'm also using a plank hold to work on firming. Unfortunately, I think I have to work off my momma-tummy with cardio before any of my firming exercises will show through. I'm trying some interval training for that. Hope this helps, and I hope others will reply with more ideas.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the P90X I know there are some amazing results on here in just 4-6 weeks..I have the set myself BUT lol when I watched the banana roll demonstration I decided I needed to take off some more lbs before trying it.....,
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    i've been doing a pilates class twice a week for about a year now and i've noticed major differences in my core...just feeling stronger and actually having muscles there when i flex it. so i'm a big believer in pilates!

if you live in a remote area and can't find community classes (i take mine at a small movement and wellness center near my home), i've heard that the windsor pilates series of dvd's is good too. but you have to push yourself. i think i do better in a class setting, because i have to push myself to work as hard as the person next to me :bigsmile: don't wanna look like a wussy!

hope this helps....in addition, my pilates class incorporates planks, bridging, arm weights, ankle weights, stability balls, "bender balls" (which are amazing!!), and resistance bands- which all take the exercises to the next level!

good luck to you kerri and congrats on all your weight loss success! :flowerforyou:

I think that may be part of my problem. I'd LOVE to take some classes at a gym, but I livein an extremely remote area... all I have access to is my own body and the gym at the school my fiance teaches at. I have a Pilates DVD, which is what I've been working from. I do feel the burn when I'm using it, but like I said I havn't been doing it for long so I know it will take awhile to see results. I'm not really impatient, I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to help myself along. My fiance (he's a gym teacher and a certified trainer) helps me all he can but he's really not as familiar with the female body and with the exercises I need to do. He's a guy, so it's all about building bulk, whereas with women it's all about slow and steady toning. I'm gonna keep up the pilates and see if that helps. Hey at least I have a starting pic now.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I didn't like to hear this the first time I heard it either, but, "Abs are made in the kitchen".

I guess it goes along with "Exercise for fitness, eat less to lose weight."

You're looking great by the way! I hear you, we both have the same problem area :ohwell:

:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Have you tried the P90X I know there are some amazing results on here in just 4-6 weeks..I have the set myself BUT lol when I watched the banana roll demonstration I decided I needed to take off some more lbs before trying it.....,

I have heard of it but I have no idea what it is... I assume it's a DVD workout?

Jenna, at least you can say you have a "momma tummy" I can't :ohwell: no kids, nuthin. I have stretch marks too, they are just more at my hip level, and you can't see them in this photo.

It's just annoying, my tummy was NEVER a problem area for me. It never really got big... so I don't have extra skin there... it's just soft... which I understand is pretty normal for women, and like I said I don't really care for a 6-pack, just a sleek silhouette. :laugh:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth Kerri - and probably not that much! - I think your routine sounds great. I would suspect that it will be a time factor. I would think, with your routine and as you work on adding more running that in another 3 - 6 weeks you will be much happier with your tummy area. It takes awhile for that part to "firm up" unlike arms, legs, etc. I think you will see results with what your doing. You know the what and the how and the why - now just to find the patience - let me know where you find it will ya, I could use some myself :grumble: btw - you look amazing!! Congratulations!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Just keep losing weight. The tummy is usually the last fat storage area. More so for men. You can't really focus train. The body just removes fat where it wants to. You lost 67?! So you know how to lose weight. Just keep at it.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    I do reverse crunches/leg lift on this stand in my weight room. I also do plate lift ab workouts in the weight room. PLANKS! Do front and side both.

Leg lifts...lay on back, lift legs slowly together, then back down slowly. Just before reaching the ground spread legs with control then back together again and slowly lift legs in the air. Never letting them touch the ground.

those sound great, I am going to add the leg lifts and give them a try for sure! How exactly so you do planks? I'm sorry... I'm dumb, I probably know but maybe don't call them that, can someone explain it?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Kerri

Look at these sites... they may give you some ideas

http://health.msn.com/fitness/fit-zone

http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

And my husband says do leg lifts. Keep your feet 6 inches off the ground while lying down and hold it as long as you can ( he learned this in his kickboxing class)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

Here's a link for the Planks. They are tough - you can start on elbows and knees and work up to elbows and toes, then hands and toes. Have fun!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    No problem Kerri. :flowerforyou:
    Your "IMG" needed to be "img". Caps won't work, that's all.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    those sound great, I am going to add the leg lifts and give them a try for sure! How exactly so you do planks? I'm sorry... I'm dumb, I probably know but maybe don't call them that, can someone explain it?

Here's a link for the plank... http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm
    It's pretty simple. The longer you hold it, the better the burn is.
  • memaof2
    memaof2 Posts: 1
    Options
    my brother (football coach) taught me this tummy exercise. Sounds easy and it's kind of fun, but you "feel" it the next day!

It takes 2 people

lay on your back with your legs in the air. Someone stand by your head. They take your feet and "push" throw your legs to the ground. You have to stop them before they touch the ground.