So I guess I'm officially a distance runner now

Yesterday I completed my very first half-marathon. Yep, I was one of the 5% of the field with mixed chromosomes running with almost 19,000 of my closest friends at Disney's Princess Half-Marathon.

If you would have told me a year ago I'd have finished a half marathon, I would have laughed at you. And if you would have told me then that I would finish it in under 2 hours, you probably would have had to wait for me to wake back up after passing out due to lack of oxygen from laughing so hard. Way back when I started the MFP portion of my journey, athletically I just wanting to finish a 5K under 30 minutes and running more than 5 miles was hard. Then I started training for the second leg of a half-marathon relay in October of last year (Disney's Wine and Dine, leg two is an 8.3 mile run). And afterward I thought "Hey, that wasn't that bad," which was soon after followed by "Maybe I could do a half marathon..."

So I got a training plan, stuck to it (mostly), and look at me now. A few years of sorta, not-really-all-that-serious running, followed by getting focused and setting a goal lead me to completing a ridiculously fun race in a pretty damned good time (if you ask me).

I had a series of good training runs leading up to the race, making me set my goal at a 2 hour half marathon. I finished in 1:54:16, including a couple stops for pictures (and some slow-downs to get pictures of the scenery along the race course). A lot of fun. And I already have two more on my schedule - the USAF Half-Marathon at Wright-Patt in September and the Space Coast Half in November.

100_0117.JPG
(Yes, I'm wearing a tiara. My 4 year old told me, "Daddy, if this is for princesses, you need a crown." Will do, sweetie. Will do.)

Image02262012081023.jpg
(My bling.)

And, after all that, who knows...I may go full crazy some day and do a whole marathon...

Replies

• CampbellHendry
    CampbellHendry Posts: 84 Member
    Congrats mate! I'm doing couch 2 5 k right now for tough mudder in July ;D
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    What a great achievement ! Congrats to you hon!

Personally, I think that tiaras should be an obligatory part of all long distance events! Lol !!
    Xx
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    congrats!! how did you keep the tiara on your head? i love that you wore one. totally makes me want to wear a fun hat on my next race.... or a tiara....
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Congrats! This makes me believe my fledgling desire to run a half marathon this year isn't so crazy. The tiara was a nice touch by the way.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Fantastic... I'm working towards my first half marathon in August - it was meant to be February but an injury meant that I ran 10k in Feb instead. Now I know that the Disney races exist, they're on my wish list - I just have to get to the US first (from Australia!).
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    pretty good time there! well done! and as for the tiara, your daughter was right! it had to be done! i reckon you could easily do a marathon! good luck and get running!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    It's actually my overall fitness goal to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon (and get a Disneyworld holiday while I'm at it!) So VERY well done, you!
    And I like the tiara.
    And I'm jealous of your bling.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    LOVE this story. good on you and thanks for sharing. LOL, I need to go find out how far a half marathon is... i'm now wondering 'maybe i could do it, one day', which is something I've certainly never considered before!

EDIT: LOL, omg... 21km... well, I still feel like a 10K might be worth a try this year, which is also something I've never considered. :D
  • Haha Gold! Thanks for sharing, love the tiara!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Congratulations!!!!! That's a really great time
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!