Counting Spaghetti Calories

Options
Ok, ideally I should not be eating spaghetti (being that I have PCOS which is related to Insulin resistance) but I have a family to feed, so some nights we will be having spaghetti. How do you measure the noodles? 2 oz...yeah, well, I don't have a scale. And even if I did, is that cooked or uncooked?
When I successfully lost weight before I used mostly packaged foods (lean cuisines, etc) but I know those are not good for you plus am now dealing with some food intolerances so can't just grab a lean cuisine or whatever...
Thanks in advance for the advice on this!

Replies

• DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Its usually 2 oz dry or 1/8 of the box. Can you seperate it into 8 portions to figure out your serving size?
  • magicalamanda
    magicalamanda Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    2 oz is the uncooked version and I believe that it's 1 cup cooked! Also try making spaghetti with turkey instead of beef! Make sure to drain the meat too because it gets soooo greasy. Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods in the whole world, so I sympathize with you.
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    2 oz uncooked is about 1 Cup cooked..in my experience.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i recently tried dreamfields spaghetti noodles, very good and lower carb, they also have whole wheat pasta
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    On the label, the serving size of Dreamfields is 2 ounces dry pasta. How much is that in ounces and cups when it’s cooked?

Two ounces dry pasta equals about 5 ounces cooked. Remember that all pasta expands as it cooks.

Ounces to cups (estimates):
    Penne Rigate: 2 oz. dry = 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked
    Elbows: 2 oz. dry = 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked
    Rotini (spirals): 2 oz. dry = 3/4 cup dry = 1½ cups cooked
    Spaghetti: 1/2 inch circle = 1 cup cooked
    Angel Hair: 1/2 inch circle = 1 cup cooked
    Linguine: 3/4 inch circle = 1 cup cooked
    Lasagna: 2 pieces = 1 1/2 cups cooked
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    the portion size is 2 oz dry. Once its cooked its kind of hard since the weight can varry depending on al dente vs over cooked can add water weight.
    Try weighing out you 2 oz portion in various pasta shapes/sizes etc and cook it up separate from the portions for the rest of your family. It will give you a chance to see what a 2 oz portion actually looks like. Once you have the pasta cooked place it in a measuring cup and keep a list of the volume and shape of pasts. Once you have your list you ca just use the measure for you cooked pasta rather than having to cook your portion separately.
  • teetees40
    Options
    I have PCOS too! Would love to be friends and support each other!

In response to your question, it is 2 ounces uncooked or 1 cup cooked! I LOVE the RONZONI brand....but, like you, I dont eat it unless necessary!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can measure it either dry or cooked, just fnd the database entry to match.
    If you don't have scales, then use the package weight as a guide - so if you cook all of a 500g pack and you eat about a quarter of the total amount, then you enter 125g dry (1 quarter of the total).
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! What a help. I liked the 1 Cup cooked way to measure. It's so much easier than measuring a circle or whatever. I have a spaghetti holder that measures it out but then I feel like I have to cook mine in a separate pan to keep it honest.

I do forget about the turkey thing-but it works well and no one minds. :)

So, I get to go back in and fix my food info b/c I measured about a cup of spaghetti and counted it as 1.5 servings! Woohoo!!!! I can eat a piece of fruit or something tonight!

Oh, and dreamfields is pretty good. And it is the better choice for those with glycemic/insulin issues. :)