Nutrition and hardcore strength training...

Options
Hello. I have recently lost close to 40 pounds. I am down to 135 pounds, which is actually at the high end of my BMI (I'm 5'2"), but it's the lowest weight I've seen my body hang around since middle school even, so I think that is the right weight for me. I completed a few rounds of Jillians Videos (30DS, 6week6pack, Ripped in 30, 3 weeks of p90x until 2 full time jobs interefered).

I've begun strength training with heavy weights, and now I'm sooooo hungry all the time. I used to consume 1300 calories a day, calculators are telling me consume 1800 calories a day to promote fat loss with the new heavy lifting, and that at the activity level i'm at I should be consuming 2100 just for maintenance. Is this right? Should I make that switch or do it slowly? I'm very active and my jobs are both physically demanding. I've been eating close to 1200 for 7 months now so that bigger number makes me nervous...but I have also taken the time to educate myself and realize that I think I'm eating too less...and yet I've been eating close to 1200 for 7 months now...???

Any first hand experience? That is what I'm lacking with all these books I'm reading about how everyone eats too little. I want to hear that this has happened to someone else too!

Any advice helps!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have recently lost close to 40 pounds. I am down to 135 pounds, which is actually at the high end of my BMI (I'm 5'2"), but it's the lowest weight I've seen my body hang around since middle school even, so I think that is the right weight for me. I completed a few rounds of Jillians Videos (30DS, 6week6pack, Ripped in 30, 3 weeks of p90x until 2 full time jobs interefered).

I've begun strength training with heavy weights, and now I'm sooooo hungry all the time. I used to consume 1300 calories a day, calculators are telling me consume 1800 calories a day to promote fat loss with the new heavy lifting, and that at the activity level i'm at I should be consuming 2100 just for maintenance. Is this right? Should I make that switch or do it slowly? I'm very active and my jobs are both physically demanding. I've been eating close to 1200 for 7 months now so that bigger number makes me nervous...but I have also taken the time to educate myself and realize that I think I'm eating too less...and yet I've been eating close to 1200 for 7 months now...???

Any first hand experience? That is what I'm lacking with all these books I'm reading about how everyone eats too little. I want to hear that this has happened to someone else too!

Any advice helps!
    This link is a gold mine!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

IMMEDIATELY increase your protein intake to at least 1g per pound of body weight. Slowly up fat intake. MFP calorie and macro nutrient suggestions are absurd. Read the link above.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump it !
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    IMMEDIATELY increase your protein intake to at least 1g per pound of body weight.

Agree