Calf Cramps & Sleepy Feet

Options
I'm just starting to train for running, but I'm a total novice. I've been cycling between a speed walk and a jog, and my cardio is totally up to the task, but my calves keep cramping and my feet fall asleep. . What am I doing wrong? I imagine my form is pretty lame. . . .

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Sleepy feet can be caused by tight laces. Try loosening the ones that cross over the arch of your foot, or skip the eyelets altogether.

Can't help you with calf cramps though.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may not be stretching enough before you start. Also, you might want more padding in your shoes and try tying your shoes looser. If it doesn't stop, I would see a sports Dr. or therapist. You could end up straining your calf muscles or getting shin splints. Good luck! Happy running!
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    might wanna try B12 too
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before and after so you don't develop planters fasciitis, which hurts with every step you take on your heel from tearing the muscle.
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much water you are drinking, but I know from experience that the leg cramping can be from dehydration. My leg cramps got better from soaking in the tub with bath salts, stretching and drinking lots of water.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    try getting more potassium in your diet. i get leg cramps once in awhile and that usually helps me...
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    sleepy feet- loosen your laces, do ankle roll stretches
    calf cramps- stretch, eat a banana or just half of one an hour before running, take a b12 vitamin in the morning, drink lots of water.
    i hope this helps!
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!