Sincere question here

Options
Having been on MFP now for several months I am truly questioning the posts that ask "How can I possibly eat 1200 calories per day." Do the subscribers who ask that truly have a weight problem? I have to wonder if those posters are measuring/weighing their portions. Is it a matter of incorrect recording.

Shoot I can consume 1200 calories without a blink of a fridge door.

Curious and asking asking.

Replies

• laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lol.. ya I wish I could be one of those people..
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1200 calories=one pint of Ben and Jerry's.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think it is more of a mental thing. A lot of people especially when starting out think that they need to consume the bare minimum, and be hungry to lose weight. So they are scared to eat more like they wont lose
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    What's really disheartening is to see people's food diary who are eating 1200 (and sometimes under).

That crap is borderline torture, to be quite honest.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Some people are convinced that they need to eat all low-calorie "healthy" foods as well.

I'm damn sure I couldn't eat 1200 calories worth of lettuce or raw carrots.
  • ohtobe2
    Options
    I find that once I start counting calories its gets easier. Im always looking things up that Im about to eat (before I eat it) and think WHOA!!!! and go for a better option.
    I think that if you do it right, you can eat heaps, and still come under your calorie goal.
    Thats what I find anyway...
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yep, there are plenty of us who have had a hard time eating 1200 calories every day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

I didn't understand my body needs food to burn fat and it took a while before I figured it out. I don't have many problems eating what I eat now but I had to work up to eating as much as I do (1400 range).

I still can't imagine eating 2000 or more calories for maintenance.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 calories a day and exercise about 800 calories a day, so my net intake is 900 calories.
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to only eat 1380 calories a day (that's for a 1 lb loss a week). I need to work out so that I can eat at least 1500. That's my bare minimum for feeling like a person!
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 calories would be horrible. I don't think they take into account that they should work out too. They want to lose weight to fast. I was set at 1 pound a week. I find that I lose more than that a week. I am set at 1660 calories and I have no trouble with that goal.
  • AmiKayser
    AmiKayser Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lol...thank you for finally saying it!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My net at the end of the day is usually right around 1200 or less, been doing it for 2 mos now and very happy! 2lbs away from my goal of 120lbs........
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Exactly smoky19, that's what I do usually too!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The one that got me today was i saw someone say something a long the lines of "I eat all day but cannot imagine eating 1200cals a day" (that's not an actual quote, I read it this morning and am going off memory). But, anyway, HOW THE HELL can you be eating all day and not be getting 1200??? I mean seriously?
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    Some people are convinced that they need to eat all low-calorie "healthy" foods as well.

I'm damn sure I couldn't eat 1200 calories worth of lettuce or raw carrots.

HAHA yes! I found that eating "clean" it was much harder to get up to my 1200 calorie goal.

Somedays it IS hard to get to my calorie goal. other days I go over. Im still finding my calorie balance but most days Im under :/
  • heeytheresunshine
    heeytheresunshine Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, I'm eating 1200 now and I don't feel deprived of food at all. You just have to find better alternatives to what you are currently eating. Also I don't feel cranky or have a lack of energy if anything I have more energy and can't wait to work out lol also I drink a lot of water, maybe that helps? You know, make wise choices... Turkey bacon instead of bacon. As long as I'm not starving myself I'm good. (:
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I used to have a hard time getting in 1200 cals...I am not an eater..and I am not on mfp because I have a weight problem...I am trying to get fit...that being said I realize I NEEDed to start eating more...I have incorporated protein shakes into my day twice a day..without the protein shakes I would NoT be able to meet my calorie goal..and especially my protein goal...

Some people have spent their whoollllle lives restricting (guilty) and it is actually difficult to start eating more food just the same as people who have over eaten all their lives have problems cutting back.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • stablesong
    Options
    It's not for everyone. I eat 1200 calories a day plus most of my exercise. On rest days, I eat 1200. Some days it's hard for me to stay within it, some days it's hard for me to meet it. Usually when I plan my meals the night before, including all three meals and two or three healthy snacks, I'm only at 1000 or so. I can always add more throughout the day, but generally my days are low.

I have a very low BMR and because I'm in school for eight hours a day, I am sedentary. Anything above 1200 on rest days would pretty much lead to weight gain, which is not what I'm looking for right now. To me, 1200 calories is usually fine, and on exercise days I reward myself with more healthy food. It's just a matter of your body and its specific needs.
  • bensondeon
    bensondeon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to keep to so few calories a day but still possible especially when exercise is added. For example if you have a 1,200 calorie alotment and add 400 calories of exercise, you may reach 1,600 calories a day (wich helps). I also have had to cut the bad foods drastically. Items such as pasta and dairy are in strict moderation... it forces you to really think about the foods you prepare and eat almost like a budget... plan ahead and stay away from packaged junk...

http://www.ehow.com/way_5196052_1200-low_fat-low-carb-diets.html
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 calories would be horrible. I don't think they take into account that they should work out too. They want to lose weight to fast. I was set at 1 pound a week. I find that I lose more than that a week. I am set at 1660 calories and I have no trouble with that goal.

The 1200 calories has to do with hieght and current weight and what not.

I'm 23 and 5' 0". So if I don't work out I eat the 1200 calories a day. If I workout I eat 75 percent of my exercise calories back. I'm never hungry and I'm never overstuffed. Also I'm in my last 15 lbs of weight loss so that makes a difference as well. The truth is the healthier the food the more you get to eat. I basically make a huge 800 calorie meal with all of my essential food groups and grub on that the whole day. In between those grub times I eat 400 calories worth of low calories snacks. Sometimes I'll have a slimfast chocolate vanilla bliss bar or sometimes I'll have broccoli with half of 1/3 cup of shredded cheese on it. Just whatever I'm in the mood for. And like I said thats for a non work out day. I eat much more when I work out.

So 1200 calories does not mean starving or not working out. It just means this is what my body type is asking for.