Calorie counting stresses me out

Options
My therapist even noticed that calorie counting stresses me out. I think it's because my mom put so much pressure on me to stay dangerously low when I was younger (I was staying below 1000 consecutively). I've been on MFP around 55 days, I quit around 4 days ago and went off the deep end but I do NOT want to give up. Does EVERYONE here calorie count or is there a different way to keep yourself in check? My plan right now is just to make healthy choices and focus on exercise.

Replies

• dancingincircles84
    Options
    I don't count calories, but I do track my exercise on here! I find that I always start restricting myself when I count calories and try to eat far to little food.
  • kymdarnell
    Options
    i love calorie counting BUT only because I like the control.... :flowerforyou:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I have counted calories a few times for informational purposes. I find it way too tedious to do regularly. This is because I eat alot of whole foods that have to be measured, or because I'll eat foods that someone else prepared so I just have to guestimate visually. Its just not practical and I have found that my strategy doesn't really require it.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have counted calories a few times for informational purposes. I find it way too tedious to do regularly. This is because I eat alot of whole foods that have to be measured, or because I'll eat foods that someone else prepared so I just have to guestimate visually. Its just not practical and I have found that my strategy doesn't really require it.

What is your strategy?
  • rozann123
    Options
    I know where your coming from, however counting calories with( myfitnesspal.com) seems to make it easier. See if you like it cuzz the computer does most of the work. Let me know
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It works for me, I've been doing it for 400 days now and find that it's pretty easy because the foods/meals/recipes I eat regularly are already there. And even though I'm maintaining now I still find it handy to help me balance out my day - if I know I'm going to have a few beers at night, I'll have less snacks during the day for example.
    But, you have to find what works for you. If counting cals doesn't work for you, perhaps you would be better to find a pre-designed meal plan and eat to that. Or count serves of fruit and veg and snacks... or whatever makes you more relaxed/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Which bits do you find stressful? I know I found it a bit of an effort to start off with, but now most of the foods that I eat are in my recent food lists and it's not too hard to find them. I also love using the scanner app on the iPhone version!

I do estimate quite a bit when it comes to measuring the amounts - but I know everything is a guess anyway, so I aim to be close to my target rather than bang on (+/- 10%, say)
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    FIrst stop thinking of it as what I can't eat and try what I CAN eat...

So I make a HUGE 800 calorie meal in the morning that has all my food groups in it... I then eat this meal throughout the day. Save this meal...then I add snacks that are low calories... I eat lots of these snacks....

So with my meal that I have already logged in and can eat whenever I want to I just monitor my snacks... get things snacks that are easy to log... like:

slimfast snack bars (try chocolate vanilla bliss or double dutch chocolate... yummm)
    Frozen brocolli spears
    I boil two spears and throw half of 1/3 cup of shredded cheese on them.. spears are easy to log cause the serving sizes are literaly two spears. buy the pre-shredded cheese so you can log it easier.
    And so very many more... Try popcorn... I love me some popcorn

Anyway I end up eating my BMR and half of my exercise calories back... which is exactly where I want to be..
  • mariposa808
    mariposa808 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i dont like it either, i use myfitnesspal as a tool to regauge where im at from time to time. it is pretty important to do the math of calories in/calories out if you want to lose weight though. my advice would be to use it a few times a week and then try and make guesses based on your experience with myfitnesspal. you can also just measure out portions instead and then eventually just eyeball it once you know what a portion size looks like.
    however, if its creating more of a negative experience for you that is being counterproductive, maybe it isnt for you. everyone is different. go with whats true to you and is going to support you in your goals. til then
    ~brooke
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    I don't count calories anymore because a few months ago it was ALL I did. The number controlled my life and I noticed how I restricted my intake more and more. Now I'm listening to my body: i eat whenever I am hungry and I make good, clean choice rather that only low-cal...whatever works best for you
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    What I get frustrated is Im quiet new here and learning to count calories properly is time cinsuming then you get told your not counting sodium your not eating enough protien cut your carbs no fat etc ,geeze isnt this about cutting down but eating what we like in a healthly way
  • bunsofsteele77
    Options
    The above tips are helpful but I agree with tenoreo90. I sometimes feel like I eat more food when I'm trying to count calories on this site. I feel restricted so then I eat a ton more food than I normally would. I've left this site before because of that. So far, I've tried to think of MFP as just my intake/outake log instead of a restriction. I've been doing a little better this time. Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    What I get frustrated is Im quiet new here and learning to count calories properly is time cinsuming then you get told your not counting sodium your not eating enough protien cut your carbs no fat etc ,geeze isnt this about cutting down but eating what we like in a healthly way

Its exactly what it is. I just stick under mfp macros and I've lots 56lbs, without cutting carbs etc. Just keep on doing what your doing! I love counting calories personally. Everyone is different though x
  • brunsda
    Options
    My therapist even noticed that calorie counting stresses me out. I think it's because my mom put so much pressure on me to stay dangerously low when I was younger (I was staying below 1000 consecutively). I've been on MFP around 55 days, I quit around 4 days ago and went off the deep end but I do NOT want to give up. Does EVERYONE here calorie count or is there a different way to keep yourself in check? My plan right now is just to make healthy choices and focus on exercise.

I think your plan is reasonable. Use MFP in a way that will be most helful for you. Good luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    How about doing this...

Plan out meals that will fit into your macros/calories and then eat them and nothing else?

For example, for me:

A Think Thin bar OR a bowl of cereal plus skim milk will equal approx 250 calories for breakfast

plus

A Fold-it wrap with turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion will equal approximately 250 calories for lunch

plus

A 5.3 oz greek yogurt, handful of grapes, some berries and a juice bar will equal about 200 calories for snacks throughout the day

plus

A protein for dinner (200 calories for 4 oz lean beef/chicken breast/uncured ham/shrimp), a salad (150 calories with 1 tbsp light dressing and only veggies) and steam or roasted veggies (50 calories) and certain predetermined sauces (100 calories) equals 500 calories for dinner

Total for day = 1200.

If I exercise, I get to add a chocolate or two and some pretzels or similar as a carb snack.

You never have to log as long as you eat within those parameters. You really should weigh and measure your food to make sure the portions are accurate, but once you know what you are eating, it isn't necessary to nitpick over every lettuce leaf or whatever.

My partner refuses to log/count calories, but he's come up with meals that fit his goals and is free to eat any of them that strikes his fancy. Feel free to look at my food diary for ideas on how to do this.

By the way, I eat the same when I am eating at maintenence, the difference is that I may have two slices of cheese on my sandwich, a hard boiled egg as a snack, use olive oil and full fat dressings/sauces in my dinner, and I might have sugar free ice cream for dessert. These additions easily remove the 500 calorie per day deficit I use when I'm trying to lose. This takes all the obsession out of calorie counting.
  • tlschlp
    Options
    I dislike counting calories, too, and I've left and come back to MFP a couple of times because of it.

What I've decided to do this time is count during the week (M-F), especially while I'm at work -- that will keep me more accountable even though I bring my own lunch. And, during the weekend, I don't worry about counting.

I'm very active on weekends with volunteer work where I'm given food prepared by others. I was feeling guilty about not being able to track that. I finally figured that I shouldn't worry about it so much. I still find myself making as healthy a choice as I can when I eat on weekends, but it's not so stressful when I get back onto MFP on Mondays.

So, I opt for taking weekend "vacations" from MFP food tracking and trying to make the best choices for me then.

Good luck!