Help with my HRM (30DS)

Options
Hi guys!

I recently got a HRM last week for tracking how many calories I burn doing JM's 30 Day Shred and it says that I am burning a really low amount of calories!

I first used it on Friday for Day 10 of Level 1 and burnt 153 calories, then Saturday I burnt 164 calories on Level 2, Sunday 71 on Level 2 and last night 84 on Level 2. I have noticed that other people on MFP have burnt 200+ calories doing the same exercise, is there something wrong with my HRM? Is there a way I can check it? I noticed on Sunday that my age was defaulted to 16 and weight to 50kg so I set it to might correct age and weight (I'm 31!!) and thought that would make me burn more but I am burning less!

The strap is tight and I wet the sensors before exercising.

I'm so new to all this exercise malarky and am far from fit so I am confused as to why my burnt calories are so low?!

My height is 5ft 6 and my weight is 146lbs

This is my HRM: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005560PU4/ref=asc_df_B005560PU46752631?smid=A3RJDYDFGJHYGB&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005560PU4

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    after you do your warm-up check your heart rate. That happened to me before also.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    after you do your warm-up check your heart rate. That happened to me before also.

No, should I?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do a fitness test for it? (You do with mine and this alter's your 'zones')

Also it can vary dependant on other factors too, on 30DS I tend to burn 214ish. Today I went to BodyPump where I usually burn in the high 400's but today it was under 300!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is going on... I had an issue with mine at one stage too, where it appeared it wasn't always picking up my heart rate. I would look down and it would say 0 for the heart rate and then click back on again, so I find I am constantly having to check my HRM now! If it is all set to the correct figures now and everything I am not sure what's going on, but my trainer told me to have my heart rate at 145 at the minimum & 180 or more at the most. So maybe work between these levels. If it's anything less this could be why calories aren't high.. The higher and harder you work the more calories you burn.
    Good luck xx
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    Do you have to do a fitness test for it? (You do with mine and this alter's your 'zones')

Also it can vary dependant on other factors too, on 30DS I tend to burn 214ish. Today I went to BodyPump where I usually burn in the high 400's but today it was under 300!

There was no mention of a fitness test in the instructions but there are some zones on there that are set at default as I didn't know what they should be. How do I know what to set these to? (I'm a complete novice!)
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    I am not sure what is going on... I had an issue with mine at one stage too, where it appeared it wasn't always picking up my heart rate. I would look down and it would say 0 for the heart rate and then click back on again, so I find I am constantly having to check my HRM now! If it is all set to the correct figures now and everything I am not sure what's going on, but my trainer told me to have my heart rate at 145 at the minimum & 180 or more at the most. So maybe work between these levels. If it's anything less this could be why calories aren't high.. The higher and harder you work the more calories you burn.
    Good luck xx

When I have had a chance to check my heart rate during 30DS (you don't get many chances to check as you are constantly on the go) it says between 150-175 and the exercise lasts about 25 minutes
  • Cal28
    Options
    Mine is set as... Zone 1 116-134, Zone 2 135-153, Zone 3 154- 174 (5ft 1", 181lb)

Not sure really (my Polar FT60 has a Fitness Test in the settings, I have to lie down and rest for 5 mins whilst it calculates)

You could try this calculator?

http://weightloss.com.au/weight-loss-tools/target-heart-rate-calculator.html
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    Mine is set as... Zone 1 116-134, Zone 2 135-153, Zone 3 154- 174 (5ft 1", 181lb)

Not sure really (my Polar FT60 has a Fitness Test in the settings, I have to lie down and rest for 5 mins whilst it calculates)

You could try this calculator?

http://weightloss.com.au/weight-loss-tools/target-heart-rate-calculator.html

I think my zones on the HRM are just maximum heart rate and minimum heart rate. That calculator said min 156 - max 175 for high intensity which I think 30DS is classed as? It matches with the figures I noticed when I checked my HRM. The calculator doesn't ask your weight though, surely weight has a factor on your heart rate? :/
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

There was no mention of a fitness test in the instructions but there are some zones on there that are set at default as I didn't know what they should be. How do I know what to set these to? (I'm a complete novice!)
    i think the "fitness test" is to calculate ur Basal Metabolic Rate..... i could b wrong though.
  • Stephie_J
    Options

i think the "fitness test" is to calculate ur Basal Metabolic Rate..... i could b wrong though.

Any idea what the fitness test involves? lol
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    The Fitness test is to calculate VO2 max
  • ava33
    ava33 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey Steph,

I have the same HRM and it is a bit tedious how it sometimes resets the age and weight automatically.. but then it's a really good price and works so won't complain.

But I think what you should check indeed is the VO2 setting - I didn't know what this was at all so had set it at 90 (thinking it goes the same direction as your weight ;-)) and burnt surprisingly little in my classes - because my HRM thought I was a world class athlete apparently.
    I then did some research and set it to 30, average-ish for my age and I've done a year in the gym so think I'm reasonably fit:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

I've now got the burn I think I should have; it's never going to be 100% accurate I guess.

Of course the best thing would be to have it measured but not sure where to do that, my gym doesn't offer it.

Hope this helps - if not maybe you just are pretty fit and therefore burn fewer calories? Also depends on your weight - I only burn about 200 on 30DS Level 1 and I'm MUCH bigger than you.
  • ava33
    ava33 Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh, and VO2 is the setting after age and weight. Try it...
  • Cal28
    Options
    My VO2 is 36 (Moderate)
    Again there are online calculators for it :smile:
    http://www.calculatorpro.com/vo2-max-calculator/
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think you're seeing high numbers for a lot of people (and I could be wrong) because many of us just guesstimate our caloric burn based off of whatever is in the database or some of use assorted calculations (google calories burn 30 day shred). I am quite sure they are all over estimated calorie burns so don't worry if people are burning more than you. Although you are correct, 74 calories does sound low for 30DS.
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    Hey Steph,

I have the same HRM and it is a bit tedious how it sometimes resets the age and weight automatically.. but then it's a really good price and works so won't complain.

But I think what you should check indeed is the VO2 setting - I didn't know what this was at all so had set it at 90 (thinking it goes the same direction as your weight ;-)) and burnt surprisingly little in my classes - because my HRM thought I was a world class athlete apparently.
    I then did some research and set it to 30, average-ish for my age and I've done a year in the gym so think I'm reasonably fit:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

I've now got the burn I think I should have; it's never going to be 100% accurate I guess.

Of course the best thing would be to have it measured but not sure where to do that, my gym doesn't offer it.

Hope this helps - if not maybe you just are pretty fit and therefore burn fewer calories? Also depends on your weight - I only burn about 200 on 30DS Level 1 and I'm MUCH bigger than you.

I used this calculator to determine my vo2max (the only thing I have set on my HRM other than weight and height) http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx It said 'Your estimated VO2max is 12 ml/kg/min.' Maybe I should do the 20 second test again or is 12 about right?

I am so not fit! I get out of breath really easily! Level 2 of 30DS makes me sweat buckets and get so breathless so I am stumped at burning only 70-80 calories!
  • Stephie_J
    Options
    I think you're seeing high numbers for a lot of people (and I could be wrong) because many of us just guesstimate our caloric burn based off of whatever is in the database or some of use assorted calculations (google calories burn 30 day shred). I am quite sure they are all over estimated calorie burns so don't worry if people are burning more than you. Although you are correct, 74 calories does sound low for 30DS.

They all seem to be burning over 100 here: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/fitness/calories-burned-shred-workout
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was going to order this HRM. I love the price! Keep us posted if you sort it out - I won't bother if it isn't accurate.
  • Cal28
    Options
    I was going to order this HRM. I love the price! Keep us posted if you sort it out - I won't bother if it isn't accurate.

Polar FT4 gets good reviews (I went with FT60 as wasn't much more to import to Aus from the states) x
  • Stephie_J
    Options

It had good reviews on Amazon, which is why I got it! I am definitely not super fit and shouldn't be burning so few calories. I will have another look at it tonight changing the zones and doing another vo2max test to see if that makes any difference?