protein

Options
can anyone tell me what protein does for you.....what are the a positives/negatives???

Replies

• paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    its the building block of life hun, its what your muscles (inc heart and organs) and other tissues are composed of.

it keeps you full for longer, gives steady energy and is just super good for you.

:)
  • missbaker89
    Options
    its the building block of life hun, its what your muscles (inc heart and organs) and other tissues are composed of.

it keeps you full for longer, gives steady energy and is just super good for you.

:)

so no negatives then......thank you :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    The only negative I know of is that if you ALREADY have a liver or kidney condition, it can put a load on them, especially if you eat a lot of protein. But, I think you'd probably already know if you have a major issue like that going on... the liver is a tough organ and it takes a whole heck of a lot to mess it up.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Protein = GOOD.
    Eating a lot of it will help your weight loss - They say try to have at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight, which means you want to be having at least around 90 grams of protein a day :)
  • missbaker89
    Options
    Protein = GOOD.
    Eating a lot of it will help your weight loss - They say try to have at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight, which means you want to be having at least around 90 grams of protein a day :)

my daily goal of protein is 45g??
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein = GOOD.

my daily goal of protein is 45g??

Put it this way, I eat that in single meal. Its not a lot. I would advise aiming for a min of 1g/lb of body weight. Protein is good.

The body has NO storage facility for protein. Carbs and fat are stored as fat. Protein must be consumed as diet.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi honey you should try to aim for at least 70/100 protein a day or your body will be starved of it and turn on you like a zombie and eat itself! :noway:
  • missbaker89
    Options
    hi honey you should try to aim for at least 70/100 protein a day or your body will be starved of it and turn on you like a zombie and eat itself! :noway:

i understand what you mean......... but in my mind i feel that if i have not stuck to my daily goals i have let myself down :ohwell:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

i understand what you mean......... but in my mind i feel that if i have not stuck to my daily goals i have let myself down :ohwell:

Basically its the calories intake you have to watch at the end of the day! but just jiggle your diet around so you get enough protein in and not to much sugar/fat/salt ect!
    try stuff like tuna,cottage cheese/milk! packed with protein and low fat too!
  • athensguy
    Options
    The recommended range of protein is between 10 and 35% of your total calories. Anywhere in there and you should be fine.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

The protein goal that MFP sets for you (I'm assuming that's where the 45g comes from?) is exceptionally low. You can manually set your macros to have a higher protein/lower carbs/higher fats/whatever.

:flowerforyou:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The point of the MPF goals isn't to hit it every day. Think of it more like a guideline. Do what you can, at your own pace. But knowing where you should be will over time help you eat better. Enjoy and good luck!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential for your body to function. The recommended daily amount of protein is 1g per Kg of body weight (weight in lbs. / 2.2 = kg). If you weight train then by all means eat more but for the average person this is enough. And there is such a thing as eating too much protein.
  • missbaker89
    Options
    thank you all for your feed back :smile:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    The point of the MPF goals isn't to hit it every day. Think of it more like a guideline. Do what you can, at your own pace.

I beg to differ. The point of my being on MFP and logging my macros & calories most certainly is for me to "hit" it every day... else, I'm just not doing all I can.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    i have reset my macros on mfp, i aim for about 150-200g carbs, 30-50g fat and 100-120g protein per day as my lean mass is 122lbs.

its my understanding that a well balanced diet should look like this

half veg/fruits, small serving healthy fats/dairy, quarter protein, rest as healthy whole grain high fibre carbs.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The NHS recommendation is for 55g protein for an adult, unless you're an athlete or weight trainer in which case the requirements are higher. There ARE some negatives associated with continued excess protein intake, the strain on the kidneys being the most significant... I've set my daily goal at 75g as I've in the best felt that I do best on higher levels of protein, but I think that's ample.
  • zeuse
    zeuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Protein is the building block of muscles and most all basic functions in the body, they are composed of amino acids... more importantly ALL 23 of them, they can help kill hunger, increase your metabolism and stimulate protein synthesis which helps in every aspect of weight loss and or gain. Despite what you hear, there is no black and white answer for protein - everyone is different and everyone has different macros to hit based on their BMR, body type and goals. Always try to get a lean source of protein in per meal, and if it helps try to get a lean piece that to the size of your palm. There are no "bad wraps" to protein, its essential to the body!
  • mickyjd
    Options
    Glad I found this thread - good advice people!

Thanks.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    The NHS recommendation is for 55g protein for an adult, unless you're an athlete or weight trainer in which case the requirements are higher. There ARE some negatives associated with continued excess protein intake, the strain on the kidneys being the most significant... I've set my daily goal at 75g as I've in the best felt that I do best on higher levels of protein, but I think that's ample.

the NHS also rarely get anyone out of hospital without them contracting a hospital super bug.

think i will take their advice with a pinch of salt at ALL times thankyou!