Too much fibre

Options
Is there such a thing as too much fibre? I eat +- 50g a day.

Replies

• annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ??

I would imagine that it can only be good- keeps your insides working well doesn't it? As long as you keep within your cal allowance then I don't see how it can be harmful.
  • Wampiress
    Options
    It can cause, that you feel like a ball (dont know how to say in english...flatulence )...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I recently started adding high fiber to my diet (about 35-40g total). I set my MFP food diary to track dietary fiber along with the sodium, carbs, etc. etc. It was showing I was getting too much fiber, so I did some research. Basically, the documentation I read said if the bloating doesn't bother you and your BMs weren't so big they cause discomfort, there really isn't a limit. Another thing I saw mentioned was that if you ate like 100g per day, it may replace good nutritional absorption because fiber in itself isn't usually very nutritious. Anyway, I was comfortable with the amount I had chosen and reset MFP fiber to a higher number.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Where are you guys getting all this fiber from? What are you eating that's so high in fiber?
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am pescatarian (a fish eating veggie) and it is rare for my fibre to be anything other than over the amount set by MFP. I dont specifically set out to eat fibre high foods it is just that my diet is naturally full of them, oats, veggies, beans and pulses. I have done the F plan diet before which was a high fibre one, and i found it worked very well for me so as long as i am comfortable and dont have any bowel issues, discomfort etc my Doctor said there was no problem with the levels i get.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Where are you guys getting all this fiber from? What are you eating that's so high in fiber?

Veggies and I also use Benefiber or Safeway has one just like Benefiber only about $3.00 cheaper. You can mix it in anything and sprinkle it on just about anything.. no flavor and it doesn't thicken anything. Works good with cereal or in any beverage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Too much fibre is an oxymoron but a word of caution, if you're boosting fibre in your diet build up gradually to allow your digestive system to adapt. Farts may be funny but cramps and bloating aren't.

In addition to supplementing breakfast cereal and/or yogurt with All Bran Buds (3 tablespoons in a bowl of cereal) I've been doing the Metamucil thing (or generic equivalent) for years (rounded teaspoon in a glass of water in the evening) as a way of controlling cholesterol. A few years ago my doc was suggesting a prescription solution in my future - my latest numbers have been within ideal ranges.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    lol. Your questions made me smile, i dont know why. Im not much of a meat eater. I get mine from brown bread,vegetables and fruits. Every morning i eat all bran. I put it on my shakes as well. Personally i dont like brown rice and wholewheat pasta. I still eat mine white. You can also buy wheat bran and add it on your stews. I dont use it much, it makes me constipated. It works for some.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    It can cause, that you feel like a ball (dont know how to say in english...flatulence )...
    lol
  • kkjjll
    kkjjll Posts: 31
    Options
    instead of looking at numbers, tune into your own body, some ppl need way more fiber than others... :) soooooo good for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Too much fibre is an oxymoron but a word of caution, if you're boosting fibre in your diet build up gradually to allow your digestive system to adapt. Farts may be funny but cramps and bloating aren't.

In addition to supplementing breakfast cereal and/or yogurt with All Bran Buds (3 tablespoons in a bowl of cereal) I've been doing the Metamucil thing (or generic equivalent) for years (rounded teaspoon in a glass of water in the evening) as a way of controlling cholesterol. A few years ago my doc was suggesting a prescription solution in my future - my latest numbers have been within ideal ranges.

Bran buds are the king of fiber... Before I knew how much fiber they had I had a huge bowl of them. I was starving and they were close. I bet I had 3 cups in the bowl with a serving being 2/3 cup. It was an interesting day or two after that....
  • CallmeSbo
    Options

Bran buds are the king of fiber... Before I knew how much fiber they had I had a huge bowl of them. I was starving and they were close. I bet I had 3 cups in the bowl with a serving being 2/3 cup. It was an interesting day or two after that....
    lol. I can relate.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am usually triple of what MFP suggests and get my fiber all naturally mostly from legumes and grains.

There isn't a too much (natural) fiber issue. Only not enough causes problems.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Me too OceanForever. MFP only suggests 24g for me :-( too low
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    3 cups of cooked red beans has 90g + of fibre according to MFP. Is this true?
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I am not sure but it is possible. I don't think I could handle eating 3 cups worth of any food - haha - not to mention what 3 cups of beans would do to my digestive system :laugh:
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    I posted this a while ago and my best advice would be to drink at least 2 litres of water (build the amount up slowly)
  • CallmeSbo
    Options

I am not sure but it is possible. I don't think I could handle eating 3 cups worth of any food - haha - not to mention what 3 cups of beans would do to my digestive system :laugh:
    i dont eat all 3cups in one sitting. Lol. I love beans, i spread them out through out the day.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    [/quote

^^^^ This, bang on. Fiber is not digested (absolutely no nutritional value), it passes through, it is good for you because it gives volume in your stomach/intestines, making you feel less empty, and thereby helping out with your regular #2.

As for too much fiber, realistically there is no such thing, you just want to gradually get there to give your body time to adapt to the increases.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I posted this a while ago and my best advice would be to drink at least 2 litres of water (build the amount up slowly)
    i drink 3L minimum. 4L on workout days.