Intervals and weight lifting - what is a good combination?

Options
Hi, I am after some advice on my work out schedule as I am not sure I am currently being as effective as possible.

At the moment I am going to the gym 5-6 times a week. I will do 20-45 minutes of weights (usually a mix of circuits with squats/presses/core/kettle bell swings then some machines - 3 sets of 12 on 3-4 machines) then 30-50 minutes of cardio (mostly spinning, sometimes rowing/elliptical and occasionally treadmill). Sometimes instead of the gym I go for a 30 -40 minute run and I also walk for 45 - 90 minutes every day with my dog. I am losing weight steadily (11 lbs since January 10th)

My first question is this - should I be lifting heavier weights - i.e. rather than 3 sets of 12 reps at a weight I can manage but I am pushing myself, should I be doing 8 reps at a higher weight to really build muscle?

My second question is around cardio - I am aware that intervals are the best way to maximise weight loss - should I do intervals every single time I do cardio? If I am tired from the previous days workout this can be quite difficult but then I could always work out for less time. Am I better working out at a steady state for 45 minutes or doing 20 minutes of interval training?
Is it safe from an injury point of view to always do intervals?

I appreciate this is getting a bit of a long quesiton (or questions!) but I am keen to get some feedback - I don't want to be doing 'junk' work outs that aren't really doing me much good.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• afrikat
    Options
    Would appreciate any advice! :smile:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My personal advice is yes, lift heavier. If you can do 3 sets of 12 the weights are toooooo light. Challenge yourself!

Secondly, I only do interval training for cardio. I am way too bored sitting there on the treadmill for 45 minutes, but I can manage 20 and I am beat when I get done.
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For the cardio part i would say that if you are too tired from your intervals the day before, take it easy so your body has time to rest. if you don't rest you're only going to get more tired and possibly sick. wake up, evaluate what you feel like you could do for that day, and make a plan before you go to the gym so you don't just go there and wander around. it doesn't have to be the same thing everyday, your body likes the challenge :)
    good luck!