What would you do at 219lbs calories wise?

Hi Im on week 5 weigh in
Im 42 female started at 229lbs
Ive lost
week 1 4lbs
week 2 1.5lbs
week 3 3lbs
week 4 1lbs
week 5 0.5lbs

Im wondering if Im not eating enough as I am very active and I have been eating 1200-1300 calories a day my daughter is studying Health and fitness and they teach her not to go under 1500 calories a day for weightloss ?

i am waking each morning sick with hunger and last 4 days going to bed hungry?
I never lose much on calorie counting think it may always be too low but Im worried I will gain if I up it to 1400 calories?

HELP?

Replies

• Does the site not calculate your daily calorie target for you?
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    What are you eating? I can't see your diary so difficult to comment on this but what you eat can really make a difference to how full you feel. How much exercise are you doing? What I do when i feel hungry and really feel the need to eat more is do the exercise that gives me the calories I need to be able to do this. You should always eat your exercise calories back; are you taking your exercise calories into account and logging them?
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    So you're eating 1200-1300 regardless of what exercise you do?

If so, there's the problem. You need to eat back some (if not all) of your exercise calories.

If you're already eating exercise calories, maybe increase your net to 1400 for a little while and see how you get on with it.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Yes this site does work out your calories mines set at -1.5lbs per week but as you see thats out
    I set my diary at private as people say you shouldnt eat this you should have that etc
    I have always doen weightwatchers and lose every week 1.5-3lbs by now Id have 14lbs off just wondered why I lose slower doing this?
    I eat all fresh veg chicken etc eggs then only thing I have junk is 1 pack of crisp ?
  • sandown12
    Exercise I am renovating a closed guesthouse which is ploads of painting lifting heavy furniture lugging heavy rubbish to the dump walking alot all day I dont drive so walk everywhere,I know lots wont class this as proper exercise but I never ate exercise calories with ww and lost more?
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Exercise I am renovating a closed guesthouse which is ploads of painting lifting heavy furniture lugging heavy rubbish to the dump walking alot all day I dont drive so walk everywhere,I know lots wont class this as proper exercise but I never ate exercise calories with ww and lost more?

Hmmm...yeah I know what you mean, it IS exercise but you'd be afraid to eat the cals, I would be too.

I always lost less with WW, I hated it. Maybe do WW at the same time as MFP. Count points AND calories? Once you have the little folder from WW you don't really need to go to meetings. Was it points you did with WW or propoints? Propoints works out pretty much the same as on here, you get 29 propoints a day (roughly 1200 cals) but you also get 49 weekly propoints so long as you walk 30 mins 3 times a week. It helps if you binge at weekends (like me) or like a few glasses of wine (also like me).

I could never stick WW though, and prefer to log on here.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    do a google search for a BMR calculator, put in your stats and eat about 200 calories a day over what it says....

on your exercise days, eat them back. Adjust your calories in MFP to be what the calculation is from above .
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Sandown

it would help if you open your diary
    and as active as you are you need to eat back your calories
    you should never eat under your BMR

message "helloitsdan" he is very helpful

it sounds like your weightloss has stalled and you need to reboot it

you can also message "heybales" he is good at helping you figure for sure what your BMR is
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    You can, and probably should, eat more calories and continue to lose. There are calculators to calculate your BMR (the amount of calories you burn just being alive) based on height and weight. You can also find calculators to estimate your TDEE (the amount of energy you burn in a day). Estimate your TDEE and make a deficit of 10 - 20%. If you do that, though, don't also eat back your exercise calories.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I think if you're going to bed sick from hunger, you aren't eating enough no matter what.

I'm 215 and I'd be sick from hunger at 1200 even if I spent the whole day staring into my computer. Hell I have it set for 1450 and I still end up slightly over on my rest day due to hunger. (I eat the exercise calories back.)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    NOTE: This is for me only but it might help you too.

I am 5'7" and 219 atm. To lose 1lb a week (at sedentary lifestyle), I am set at 1690 calories a day. This does not include exercise calories.

Now, each person is different, but I wanted to put that there as an example.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    I think if you're going to bed sick from hunger, you aren't eating enough no matter what.

I'm 215 and I'd be sick from hunger at 1200 even if I spent the whole day staring into my computer. Hell I have it set for 1450 and I still end up slightly over on my rest day due to hunger. (I eat the exercise calories back.)

i definitely believe she is not eating enough
    Sandownit would be better to lose the weight slower than to make yourself misrable, no wonder you can't maintain

and this is from me who has lost nothing:bigsmile:
  • sandown12
    Ive opened my diary Please dont shout at me :(

Im am sorry I get really confused on all the bmr tdee etc I just want to learn how much I should be eating to lose 1-2lbs a week ?

Thanks x
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Your BMR is the calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day, just from operating your body. At your age and weight (I'm not sure about your height), it's likely about 1700. So if you eat 1300, you're at a 400 calorie deficit even with NO activity.

Your TDEE is the amount of energy you ACTUALLY spend to maintain. Try the calculator here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I'd guess you're at either moderate or heavy exercise, based on your self-description of what you're doing every day. When I put in moderate, I get that you're spending at least 2600 calories. When I put in heavy, I get that you're spending about 2900.

Either way, you're running at a calorie deficit greater than 1000 calories, which makes you REALLY hungry. I would try increasing it a bit and see how your energy and weightloss respond.

Edited to add: I don't see anything WRONG with your food. It looks like a nice mix of veggies and meats to me. I just think there really isn't enough of it.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Hi again,
    Thanks for opening your diary. Don't worry so much, you are doing great. But you do need to eat back the exercise calories. It doesn't matter how you are burning the cals. From your diary I would say that you are not eating enough. MFP already worked a calorie deficit in for you so any calories remaining each day should be consumed or you will feel hungry. I have lost 49lbs in 7 months and i always eat back my exercise cals. If you are still not sure about eating back the exercise cals , why not try for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference? You have nothing to lose.
  • sandown12
    :) thanks guys I start zumba wii tomorrow or classes on Thursday,I will up my calories this week to 1400 eat the extra 150-200 in healthy foods to help :)