What ways more? Fat vs. Muscle (VISUAL)

Options
I see a lot of comments on MFP that muscle weighs more than fat. This is false, 5 lbs is five pounds. 20 lbs. of feathers weighs exactly the same as 20 lbs. of iron. It's just that the iron is going to take up a lot less space (or mass) than the feathers will. This goes the same with muscles and fat. Lean muscle takes up less space than spongy fat. Below is an excellent example of the difference of fat size vs. muscle size.
210472982555376660_pV4wOHqe_f.jpg
I hope this helps clear things up,
Good luck!
DanOhh

Replies

• shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think that's what people mean, but it's a convenient way of saying it. If you took a grapefruit and one was made of fat and one was muscle...the muscle one would weigh more than the fat one....just that the fat one would be useless. Okay that was a horrible analogy, but you know what I mean. LOL
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The difference is the confusion between weight and density
  • jefarrell
    Options
    I think for some it's more of a excuse to say muscle weighs more than fat..a cop out. I love your example though...I hope more people see it and read it!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of comments on MFP that muscle weighs more than fat. This is false, 5 lbs is five pounds. 20 lbs. of feathers weighs exactly the same as 20 lbs. of iron. It's just that the iron is going to take up a lot less space (or mass) than the feathers will. This goes the same with muscles and fat. Lean muscle takes up less space than spongy fat. Below is an excellent example of the difference of fat size vs. muscle size.
    Good luck!
    DanOhh

But they still weight 5 pounds.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    DanOhh

But they still weight 5 pounds.
    I know they both still weigh 5 pounds. The point is that too many people are worried about the scale as their goal. Losing fat and converting it to muscle is an excellent NSV and they should be taking measurements and enjoy losing the inches.