Any weight maintenance, muscle toning women out there?

Options
Hi! I am 47 years old, have always been athletic, and am looking for friends that are at their goal weight (or maybe a little below) that need to build/tone their muscles. I am a runner that lost a bit too much weight and needs to bring back a little filler. :laugh:

Most of my MFP friends are trying to lose, in some cases lots of weight and I am very excited to cheer them on, but I need actually to put on a few pounds of muscle. Every time I lose weight (bad) everyone is excited for me and congratulating me...

Anyone have the same goals???

I little more about me:
I am very nutrition conscience. I have Master's degree in Exercise Physiology and study nutrition daily. I recently came upon the most amazing video on nutrition I have seen in years. I recommend every human on the planet to view it. http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxIowaCity-Dr-Terry-Wahls-Min. Don't get caught up in the specifics of the vitamin names just get an idea about the foods that should be eaten.

Replies

• Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link! Very interesting!
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It makes you understand the power of the RIGHT foods. When people ask does it matter what I eat as long as I stay under my calorie goal I cringe.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend. I've been in maintenance for about 4-5 months and lost further weight during that phase trying to get the balance right! Like you, my first love is running and I was planning on training up to half marathon level earlier this year before I managed to get a knee injury which has currently scuppered the plans. Being only 29 I didn't want to sustain any lasting damage to the joint so have put this idea on the back burner until I feel I have made a significant recovery. I also realised that with the intense cardio sessions I was getting more of a withered look, rather than the toned and fit I wanted so I have recently been doing a lot of research into lifting, I've joined a gym and have started this week to alternate between cardio and training workouts most days of the week. I've also ordered the New Rules of Lifting for Women book which I have friends completing (who love it and highly recommend it) and once that arrives I will be moving on to that programme to gain some tone and strngth in my limbs and also boost my daily calorie allowance through lean muscle mass as opposed to high number calorie burns.

I'm also interested in nutrition - however I'm not so good at counting macros. I eat as clean and as unprocessed as possible, enjoy the odd glass of red wine and meal out. But some of my friends do mock me for my staple porridge breakfasts and tuna salad lunches! ; ) x
  • kvreeken
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend. I've been in maintenance for about 4-5 months and lost further weight during that phase trying to get the balance right! Like you, my first love is running and I was planning on training up to half marathon level earlier this year before I managed to get a knee injury which has currently scuppered the plans. Being only 29 I didn't want to sustain any lasting damage to the joint so have put this idea on the back burner until I feel I have made a significant recovery. I also realised that with the intense cardio sessions I was getting more of a withered look, rather than the toned and fit I wanted so I have recently been doing a lot of research into lifting, I've joined a gym and have started this week to alternate between cardio and training workouts most days of the week. I've also ordered the New Rules of Lifting for Women book which I have friends completing (who love it and highly recommend it) and once that arrives I will be moving on to that programme to gain some tone and strngth in my limbs and also boost my daily calorie allowance through lean muscle mass as opposed to high number calorie burns.

I'm also interested in nutrition - however I'm not so good at counting macros. I eat as clean and as unprocessed as possible, enjoy the odd glass of red wine and meal out. But some of my friends do mock me for my staple porridge breakfasts and tuna salad lunches! ; ) x

I know how you feel on the knee recovery. I tore my Medial Collateral ligament in my knee 2 years ago. 6 months recovery and Im just registered for my first trail half marathon at the end of April. Take it easy on the knee. You need those later in life....:-) I have recently started yoga at the Yoga Shelter and damn if I do not have more muscle in my backside and shoulders since. I love it.

As far as nutrition goes I have been more constantly eating clean since my start with MFP in October. I would say if you even out my week I'm about 80/20. My husband and I have also been trying to eat gluten and dairy free. It has been a huge help with weight loss and constant bloating after meals. I too enjoy my cabernet and meals out.

I look forward to following your progress.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi. Feel free to add me. I've only been at maintenance for 4 weeks so still trying gradually increasing my daily calorie allowance each week. I'm doing chalean extreme at the moment. I'm trying to keep my diet as clean as possible. Thanks for the link. It was really useful
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi--I think that would be me too. Feel free to add me. I have been maintaining for over a year and a half, and have been learning about health and fitness with like-minded gals on mfp ever since.

I am constantly questioning diet. Am very much into whole/real foods, and try to grown/forage or otherwise source from local people where I can. I am going to be done w/my first round of p90x next week so thinking about what the next challenge will be......it may be more of p90x but I'm open to trying new things.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi that's pretty much me too, I eat cleanish and lift as heavy as I can. Although I wouldn't say I've lost too much weight at the moment I am upping my calories in order to build some more muscle as my strength gains have stopped and I've been feeling tired. I've been lowish carb for a while and that has seemed to work for me, but this last week since I've upped my calories I've gone a bit carb happy and lets not even go there with what's planned for dinner tonight :blushing:. (This weekends diary is an exception honest!)

It would be great to have more maintenance friends, I've got a few great ones, which includes Robin1117, but like you most of my friends are losing, so any requests from like minded people are welcome.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that link to Dr. Terry Wahls' video! I saw that several months ago and it drastically changed my views on modern medicine and nutrition. EVERYONE should see it.

I sent you a "Friend" request already.
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That was a very Interesting video ! Food for thought ~ definately has me thinking... I am on maintainence, and I walk alot, I have been going to curves for 8 yrs. I recently added Leslie Sansone DVDS to my workouts, as it works all my muscles. And feels pretty darn good. I'm pretty toned, but am now thinking about trying to eat more natural and less preserved foods, especially after watching that video. Feel free to add me. MFP has been a life changing thing for me in so many ways. Thanx again for sharing !
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to lose weight- I'm very lean and slim. Just trying to up my fitness level and get my body to the be the best that it can. I lift and do zumba among other classes at my gym. I eat well- moderation in everything, but have some areas that I could improve.Feel free to add me:)
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    First off, I love Ted and Tedx talks, the one in your message is a gem!

Next, I am also not trying to loose weight just shift my composition in favor of muscle over fat. I think overall health and wellness are fabulous goals. I love the community of MFP and the accountability to be mindful with workouts/nutrition. Good luck with your process!
  • kvreeken
    Options
    I have been checking out her website and am seriously considering buying her book. I hope more people on MFP continue to educate themselves about proper nutrition and not just counting calories.
    Here is th URL http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxIowaCity-Dr-Terry-Wahls-Min
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

I recently came upon the most amazing video on nutrition I have seen in years. I recommend every human on the planet to view it. http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxIowaCity-Dr-Terry-Wahls-Min. Don't get caught up in the specifics of the vitamin names just get an idea about the foods that should be eaten.

thanks for posting this video. Wow, wow, wow.....you are right. Everyone should see. I'm happy to know that everything she mentions is already in my diet weekly except organ meat and seaweed. That's too funny as I have a freezer full of organ meat I have been avoiding (from our yearly local beef and lamb supplies). I guess I'll figure out what to do w/them now!

Just wanted to comment and bump the thread so more people see it!