Just signed up today, looking for some friends and encourage

Options
Hi there everyone. My name's Matt. I'm 27 and from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have always been known as the "fat kid" and finally hit a wall to do something about it. Back in high school I was very active with marching band and playing sports, but even then I was a little on the heavy side (200-215 lbs). After graduating HS, I went to school at Ohio State and had spent about a year doing ROTC workouts a couple times a week and got down to 190 lbs. After that, my weight just went up. I started working and going to school and just lost the time and drive to workout and stay in shape. Today, I'm at 289 lbs.

I admit I've had some times here and there where my weight and being out of shape have been an issue. Honestly, nothing really had been enough of a wake up call to do something serious about it. I had a few times where I cut out junk food and ate healthy for a while and dropped a little weight, but it came back. I am ready for a permanent change.

Sadly, the big kick in the face was my 7 yr old son. He is a VERY active little boy. There have been times where he wants me to do certain things with him that I just can't do or am not in shape enough to keep up. I am INCREDIBLY upset with myself that it is difficult for me to be as active with him as he would like. I want it to be that he has to keep up with me. :-)

I work with a guy who has gone through this program and lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a while. He says this program works wonders and the people here are great, so here I am. I hope to meet a bunch of cool people, and maybe a few around me to possibly start a work-out buddy system. Let the change begin!!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt,
    I'm Colie, I'm 22 from Boonville, NY. I'm here because I want to start a healthier lifestyle, and change my bad eating habits! I'm also getting married in August 2013 and I want to be able to look and feel confident in my dress! I'm a great motivator, it's always good to have a great support system. Feel free to add me, together we can do this!!!!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My two sons are also a large part of why I decided to lose weight, so I can relate to that aspect of it. Add me if you would like.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mike. I joined 10 days ago. Feel free to add me!
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt, this is a really great site and you will find a lot of motivation on here and really good tips. My total weight loss goal is 120lbs. So far I'm down 43. Feel free to add me. We're encourage each other. Don't be angry with yourself. The fact that you're doing something about it speaks volumes. Any time you start thinking negatively, shift your thought process to thinking and doing something constructive to lose weight. Best of luck.
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    HI Matt, I have been on here about a month (i think!) and have found this site to be very encouraging! If you want support on your diet, just open up for us to see and we can help...I get some food ideas from others diaries and things I didn't think of. Between this sight, my boot camp I do and AdvoCare, they are three support systems of people just like me with the same goals! I have separated myself out from the people that made fun of my "healthy" life style. You want to be around people that encourage and this is great for that! You just have to be honest with yourself about what you put in your mouth and then you can do something about it! I have changed goals, exercises, etc...until I found what works for me and you will too!
    Good luck and please feel free to add me!
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey Matt! So happy that you joined! I just signed up yesterday...I am a mom to two boys so believe me I know how active they are! You will have SO much furunning around with them when you hit your goal!!! You can do this! Sending you a friend request!
  • xncx2012
    Options
    Hey, I am also new to this only signed up a few days ago feel free to add :)
  • Hi I joined 5 days ago feel free too add me.
  • Kamalalue
    Kamalalue Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here! Feel free to add me!
  • nursestephenie
    nursestephenie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt,

I know what you mean by keep up with your kids before I gained this 58 # I was always wanting to do something or go somewhere and now it like let's have movie night with lots of fun junk food. Additionally my middle son is 9 and 100lbs he is over weight I am not worried or his Dr but I know he is uncomfortable he is active in sports but my poor eating habits and quick unhealthy snacks is the problem! So I am doing this for him as well. 1st EMPTY those cabinets! NO RANCH LOL and but spray butter for your steamed veggies. I bought 90 calorie fiber one brownies for my kids and yogurts and froze bananas. They love sugar free jello and fat free cool whip. I found once I didn't have Doritos and cookies in the house I wasn't walking by grabbing them! and my kids all think they are punished for me wanting to loose weight but they will survive. I also felt the like I had to buy girl scout cookies I went around town and handed the boxes out to pan handlers and felt glad to give them a treat ( my daughter thought I was nuts ) Stick to it don't worry if you fall off the wagon hop back on! Add me as a friend as well if you like!
  • AngelaG2006
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! Here you will definitely find wonderful support and amazing encouragement!! I love the people here that I have met and they help keep my spirits up too! I have two little boys, ages 3 and 1 year and they are so busy! I had them both by c-section and because they were so close together I didn't have much time to drop my weight from the first son. I have a total goal of 50 pounds to lose, so that my BMI is healthy again! Look forward to encouraging each other!! YOU CAN DO THIS! You have taken the first step and that one is THE hardest, so congratulations!!! :D I am sending you a friend invite too.
  • Hey Matt - Good to see you on mfp. I think you'll really enjoy the site and the mounds of support and motivation you'll get from everyone on here. We are all here for the same reasons so feel free to add me if you like.
  • ccfessler
    ccfessler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Matt, Welcome!
    My name is Chelsey, I am 28 and from Nebraska. Feel free to add me. :)
  • Hello Matt and everyone else. 32/M from TN here. Trying to lose at least 50lbs, I have 30 more to reach this first goal. Need all the suuport I can get and will give all that is needed in return! Everyone feel free to add me. Thanks.

Will do! Add me as well if you like.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt!
    Feel free to add me. I joined in early Jan and I've lost 10 lbs since. I'd be happy to help encourage you on your journey to a new lifestyle, new you. You can do it!
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    Add me! Welcome to MFP! :-)
  • bowers23
    bowers23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We can all motivate each other!! Feel free to add me!! I started again in Jan of this year! I have lost 8 pounds so far, still have about 35 left to go!! I have struggled with this for the last 6 year, but this year I am going to make it happen!!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt! Welcome to MFP! There's a lot of support and information here that will help you on your weight loss and fitness journey! Feel free to add me!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I joined about a month ago because my college years and "freshman 15" turned into a staggering "college 60" once I got to graduation. Now that I'm working a 9-5 and taking grad school courses, I decided that I had to make a change.

Feel free to add me, welcome to MFP and good luck on your goals! :happy:
  • HappilyMarried2711
    Options
    I'm fairly new also. Today was my 20th day of logging in! I never miss a day, i swear sometimes i'm on here more than facebook. I'll be 27 the middle of March, from Wisconsin, newly married, and have 2 daughters (aged 7 and 5 months). I'm working at getting back to where i was when i met my husband (10 years ago)..sadly thats almost 90 pounds away. I'd love to be a part of your support system and could use another support/motivation buddy myself. Add me if you'd like. And Good Luck! :smile: