Eating way over my protein

Options
I'm having problems staying within my protein goals. Almost everyday I'm way over. Is this a bad thing? I'm under my calories, fat and carbs.

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what you're eating b/c I'm just the opposite! I'm trying to figure out how to put more protein in my daily consumption!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    eat lots and lots of egg whites :flowerforyou:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    IMO protein is set pretty low. Especially if you're excising.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use the number they give me for protein as a minimum actually, I find it rather low.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing. I'm alway WAY over on my protein but under on my carbs & fats. I'm wondering if this is a bad thing?

I notice that i have more energy when I eat lots of protein. I have only been doing MFP for a few weeks and haven't lost much weight but i can tell i've lost inches. My food diary is open if anyone wants to look at it and give suggestions.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I made the decision to eat more protein. Seems to work for me.
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    A lot of people on MFP would say that if you are using the original settings, then the recommended protein is too low anyways. I changed my percent ratio for Carbs:Fat:Protein to 30:35:35. That puts my protein at around 90g a day.

I'm not a nutritionist, but this ratio works better for me. I'm less hungry and feel stronger. :) As long as you aren't eating obscene amounts of protein, I would say you are okay.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein, it's aways under. I've increased it because it was originally set way too low
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The more protein the better. Throw in some weight training and you might even build some muscle.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use the number they give me for protein as a minimum actually, I find it rather low.
    Yep. Unless you are seriously going to extremes, it's a good thing to be over on protein.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see too, if you can open your diary. I am usually high on carbs and low on protein, and I'm actually going for the opposite of that -___-
  • hesstb15
    Options
    I eat alot of chicken breast, cheese and lean beef. I like to stay low on my carbs. I just didn't know if eating too much would delay weight loss. I'm down 13lbs since I started fitness pal and down 20 total since January. I run 2.5 miles 6 days a week. I figure I need the protein, right? Thanks everyone!!
  • Tflick1
    Options
    I'm usually over on my protein but I don't think it has hurt me.
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    I would love to know what you're eating b/c I'm just the opposite! I'm trying to figure out how to put more protein in my daily consumption!

I'm the same, struggling to reduce carbs and up fat/protein. I've resorted to eating cheese by itself if I have any deficit after dinner in a bid to bring them up.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful that excessive protein can be hard on your liver-perhaps you should consult with a wellness/fitness coach to help determine where you should be at with your protein when factoring in your exercise.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If I'm over on protein I know I've eaten well that day! haha I just see it as a positive thing.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a liver problem it's hard to go 'over' in protein.
    If you are going by MFP's settings and you are always over that's good, from everything I've seen.
    Body builders regularly eat 1g/1lb of body weight.
    I find that a little high myself but aim for 0.8 - 1g/lb of my goal weight (so 100-125g) spread out throughout the day.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with Scott, it is set really low if you're exercising. I go over everyday and i'm losing weight like i should be.Most days I try not to use all my carbs and sugar, but go over my protein and fat. ( I just try not to eat much fat at night.)
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt which is alot of protein. One container is about 14 grams of protein and about 140 calories.
  • hesstb15
    Options
    I've opened my diary if anybody is interested in seeing.