Avg. length to start losing again after adding more calories

Options
I am one of those ones who was eating 1000-1100 calories a day. Of those calories it was clean eating. I stopped losing weight so I thought I would try to add more calories to get out of this "starvation mode" that maybe I was in. So yesterday I ate 1500 calories (all healthy except the chocolate chip cookie I had for my bday). I workout 3-4 times a week either running for 30 mins or an hour of Zumba.

Since beginning of October I had lost 39 pounds (now 37.4)

I was in a month and a half plateau (Dec to mid Jan) where I was eating my exercise calories and I didnt lose so I went to the 1000-1100 Where I added clean eating and my weight started dropping again. Then I got to another standstill so yesterday I decided to add more calories.

So my question is for those who started adding calories how long till you saw the losses begin. I had a 1.6 pound gain from adding calories from Day 1. I leave for vacation in 13 days and this has put me farther from my goal so I am a little freaked out.

So I am just looking to hear from others how long till they started to see losses after adding calories. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Replies

• jude7701
    Options
    Don't get frustrated- 1.6lbs can be water weight! I recently had to do the same thing. I was eating 1200 calories a day, and my weight loss halted. I lost about 22 lbs about 2 years ago, gained some back (about 7), and recently started working hard again. However, I was eating my largest meal at dinner because by then I was starving! Now I try to eat a smaller dinner, and a bigger breakfast and lunch.
    I no longer weigh myself. I can tell if I gain or lose, so I don't even bother. I get weighed when I go to the doctor, and it is normally a pleasant surprise! =) And it took the pressure off in a way-
    But to actually answer your question, I would say it took about a week for my body to adjust. I take in about 1500 calories now, but find I have more energy, so I am working out twice a day on average- 7 days a week! And I feel good. Better than I have in quite a while!
    Hang in there! The weight loss will come! =)
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jude.... I am just in panic mode because I lost a bunch of weight for this vacation and was within 5 pounds of a weight I wanted to get to (not overall goal) and then to see a gain was a bit upsetting. I feel bigger but maybe that is just my head. I appreciate your comment.

Right now I am focusing on the scale because my goal was to be back at the weight I was last march when we went on vacation and I have worked so hard to get there.... Well almost there....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If a 1.6 weight swing in one day freaks you out, don't weigh every day. I used to weigh daily just for my own information to learn my body's natural swings but it isn't for everyone. Stick to once a week.

I got out of a plateau twice by eating more (one 2 month plateau, one 4 month plateau). I saw results within 2 weeks of eating more both times.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago I upped my cals from 1200 to 1350. I know not a major jump, but like you I was very nervous about gainning.
    But I was exercising everyday and the my net calories was dropping so I figured I needed more fuel.
    Well everyone was right and I still lost 4 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks. Don't worry you'll lose if you're eating right and still exercising.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!