Mental illness and weight loss

Options
My weight has gone up and down with my bipolar disorder. I realized this week (I've been manic for about 4 days, gotten about 4 hrs of sleep a Night, cleaned everything in sight, eaten next to nothing, but have not left the house. I feel to anxious to drive to the gym, which sucks because i know i really need to exercise both to bring my weight down and for my overall health. Are there others out there who struggle with mental illness who could offer advise and support?

I also know that when i'm in a downward cycle, i tend to eat more, but I don't have the anxiety and feel more relaxed behind the wheel and in public.

Anyhow, i could really use some help with these issues thanks everyone.

Replies

• unsweets
    Options
    Here is a link that talks about how nutrition affects depression. I understand what you're dealing with is more severe than this, but I've really come to believe that nutrition plays a major role in all health issues no matter how big or small. I also belive that most of the information out there on "healthy eating" is way off target.
    I'm not great at explainng myself, but take a look at this link and explore the website. The nutritionist that it is by is helping so many people find healing through nutrition for many things that doctors say are incurable.

http://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healthtopics/specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-doldrums.html
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    Sorry you are having such a rough time, dealing with mental illness and weight loss makes it such a harder struggle. I too go through depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Are you on medication? if not may help, but of course most times you can battle with out. I found that the main thing is positive thoughts. Keep telling yourself all day, write notes to stick up everywhere, write in a journal or vent to a friend (I am always here by the way when ever you need to get it all out). For anxiety breathing exercises help me through the most. I too have times where i do not want to leave the house. To be honest I have found nothing to help me through that. People will try to push me it makes it worse, I try to be positive and relax sometimes i just have to do it in my own time. But workout at home, get some dvd's or bring the ones out you have. Turn on your music, zone out and walk in place or run or if you have equipment. There are so many exercises you can do at home. You can Google them, plus music and exercise are two really good things to bring anxiety and depression down. When we have these struggles we have to keep the bad foods out of the house. Hope something here helps. You can always message me when you need to! Hope the day gets better for you.