Single parents with multiple children:

Options
When do you find yourself working out?? I mean I am losing weight pretty steadily, but I would like to incorporate some more working out into it, however, with 3 children under 3 vs. me, time to get a decent workout in (yes I know chasing the 3 around is a "workout" in itself) just doesn't seem capable of being regular unless I cut into my already nonexistent sleep time.

And I know SAHM/SAHD's could have some insight, but in the scheme of things I understand having another parent around in the evenings would give time to go work out, so that is why I am targeting those that do not have another helper in the house to care for the kids. :)

Replies

• bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In the winter for me is the hardest I usually just a pop a movie in for them and jump on the elliptical for a little while or go in the other room and do a workout dvd. In the spring and summer we go for walks daily. My oldest bikes along and the two youngest I either pull in the wagon or in the stroller.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am married and only have 1 child so our situation is a bit different. But, if they are all under 3, that means they have a pretty early bedtime. My son is 3 and is in bed no later than 8. When I get home in the afternoons, I change into my workout clothes. I cook, we eat, have some family time then between 7 and 730 bathtime/ bedtime routine starts. As soon as I lay my son down, I get on the treadmill or do 30 DS with my husband. There are tons of videos you can do at home after you put the kids to bed. On the weekend, I will walk/ run in the neighborhood while my son rides his bike or I pull him in his wagon.
  • bellevie23
    Options
    One goes to bed at 830 (my 34 month old), one goes to bed at 730-745 (my 14 month old,any longer he falls asleep on the floor), and my 2 month old, well..he doesn't sleep through the night right now LOL, work in progress, very colicky baby. I am getting about 3 hours of sleep *maybe 4* at night, which is my problem, by the time I get all the kids to sleep, I am exhausted and know I should 'get it in when I can' sleep wise. They do take naps during the day, but seldomly are all 3 asleep at one given time.

WitheredOrchid: That may be it that it is winter and just harder to get outside and run around without a kid catching a cold lol, although it has been a very mild winter.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Wow.......3 under 3.........WOW!!!!!!!!!

I am a single mom of 3, but my kids are older (12,7,3). Thank goodness.

Something I've learned in the past year is to not be afraid to ask for help. If the kids dad is willing, ask for him to watch them a few nights a week for an hour. Or ask a neighbor. Or a friend who could come over. I know I struggled for a long time with simply asking for help, but once I did I found that there were a lot of folks who WANTED to help me out if and when they could.

Heck, maybe you have a kid in the neighborhood who'd babysit for an hour for cheap.
  • bellevie23
    Options
    Well their father isn't even in this same state much less country lol, but yes, I may need to just ask, I know I tend to feel bad asking someone else to watch my kids, but I might have to because yes, 3 under 3 is no joke LOL.
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow. 3 kids under 3 is no joke! I am a single mom of 1 four year old and 1 very hyper dog. I have more problems with the dog getting in my way then my daughter lol. I work out when I get home from work and my 4 year old either does it with me, or plays in her room or watches a movie in my room. Have you tried doing a workout dvd and putting a movie on for the kids? Or have the 2 older kids work out with you to the dvd?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    So you obviously don't want to be doing a late night or early morning workout, since you need to work on getting yourself more sleep - being short on sleep can pack on the pounds. What about taking the stroller or papoose pack and going out for a walk?

One goes to bed at 830 (my 34 month old), one goes to bed at 730-745 (my 14 month old,any longer he falls asleep on the floor), and my 2 month old, well..he doesn't sleep through the night right now LOL, work in progress, very colicky baby. I am getting about 3 hours of sleep *maybe 4* at night, which is my problem, by the time I get all the kids to sleep, I am exhausted and know I should 'get it in when I can' sleep wise. They do take naps during the day, but seldomly are all 3 asleep at one given time.

WitheredOrchid: That may be it that it is winter and just harder to get outside and run around without a kid catching a cold lol, although it has been a very mild winter.