Fruit Sugars!

Options
I'm going crazy here! I'm allowed to have 26g's of sugar a day. In the morning I like to make a green smoothie (I'm vegan and it helps me get in some of that awesome vegetable protein). This morning my breakfast was:

1 Large organic Banana
1 medium organic Kiwi
1/2 cup organic unsweetened soy milk
1/2 cup silk vanilla soy yogurt
2 cups of green vegetables such as spinach, arugula, chard and others...

and this came out to 37g's of sugar! I'm already over my allotted sugar for the day just from fresh, natural foods!

I wish MFP counted fruit sugars different from other sugars. Will they be harmful in the same way? I doubt it.

Replies

• amylynnmitchell
    Options
    I don't think they will be harmful in the same way, and since you are taking them in in the morning, you will have plenty of opportunity to burn them during your day. I was also worried about this, so i asked my dietician, she said that fruit sugars and carbs can be just like regular sugars and carbs as long as you eat them late in the day and don't do anything to burn them off. She also said at ANY rate, sugars from fruit is BETTER than ANY CANDY!!....keep up the good work!...hope this helps.
  • TheBauhausCure
    TheBauhausCure Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is true! I'm just upset that now if I want to have a soy pudding or a newman-o with lunch I can't because I don't want everyone to think I'm some sugar hound!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It's not about what people think of you. It's about what you think of what you're eating. If you think it's okay to go into your body-it's fine. Never be swayed by peer pressure.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't really count them differently... so if mfp did it would be a bit weird. But what you can do is try to stick to fruit that has a low glycemic index (instead of bananas and kiwi as they are examples of fruit with a high GI). If you eat blueberries, strawberries, cherries and apples for example you get more fruit for your sugar kind of thing.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I take the "Sugar" goal to be a limit for added sugars only, like sugar to coffee or tea... if it comes from fruit with all their beneficial micronutrients etc I'll eat those with no prob.

Unless of course you have underlying health issues leading you to watch your sugar intake
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    change that yogurt to plain, unsweetened and i guarantee your sugars will shoot down.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I kind of asked the same question yesterday. Wondering if the body processes fruit, milk sugar differently than sugar from a candy bar or cookie.

Someone suggested this site...pages 17-20. Made sense to me.

http://www.freeworkoutsguide.com/support-files/leanbodykickstart_women.pdf

I also had several people tell me that they removed the sugar column from their food diary as they knew they were not eating refined sugars and junk and didn't want to be stressing over their sugar intake.
  • It's not about what people think of you. It's about what you think of what you're eating. If you think it's okay to go into your body-it's fine. Never be swayed by peer pressure.

LOVE THIS QUOTE. THIS IS WHAT HAS STOPPED ME FROM LOSING POUNDS IN THE PAST. It's about me not them. Fruit sugar is still sugar but it's at least a more complex carb.
  • TheBauhausCure
    Options
    I do, actually. I have PCOS and people with PCOS are prone to diabetes. I was pre-diabetic before I started losing weight.

I don't think I could give up on kiwis with their 100 percent daily vitamin C, but I might exchange the banana for frozen berries next time.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do, actually. I have PCOS and people with PCOS are prone to diabetes. I was pre-diabetic before I started losing weight.

I don't think I could give up on kiwis with their 100 percent daily vitamin C, but I might exchange the banana for frozen berries next time.

I have PCOS too and for me it's been absolutely key to keep track of GI when it comes to fruit and food in general because sugar intake, refined or fructose, is so crucial. I'd definitely say it's a good idea to change it up a bit, and as both kiwi and bananas have a lot of sugar just eating one of them should give you a bit more room in the sugar column for sure. Also, a less ripe banana is better than a ripe one so if you have them a bit more green ish it's healthier.
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow, haven't met many with PCOS, if you look in my profile...I am a childless divorced woman... I am childless because of PCOS and Endometriosis. I was put on the same nutritional guidelines at a diabetic. Even though fruit has great vitamins and minerals, your body processes just like any other sugar and will spike your insulin levels. I would def. watch the bananas, I would go for lower sugared fruits like Green apples, grapefruit and berries. WAtch out for your melons, bananas, etc....

I was my lowest in weight (103) when I followed this way of eating and I am doing ver similar now also. Just remember your end Goal....!!
  • TheBauhausCure
    Options
    but...but...bananas are so delicious....:angry:

Okay, you guys win! I'm going to go to trader joes later and pick up their frozen berry medly!
  • Erik_V
    Options
    My wife is diabetic and her doctor limits her to two fruits per day because of the natural sugar content in fruit.
  • leighanne1941
    leighanne1941 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting back on sugars in my diet and that includes fruit. I limit myself to two pieces of fruit per day and have eliminated about 98% of products with added sugars (including flavored yogurt). The weight is starting to go down but more importantly I don't have mood swings, I'm not tired and don't snap at the kids remotely as much.
  • naz81irani
    naz81irani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am always having trouble with the sugars in my food intake, does anyone have a list of fruits to eat (with low GL levels). it would be super helpful to me when i go grocery shopping next.

Thanks Everyone!
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i am always having trouble with the sugars in my food intake, does anyone have a list of fruits to eat (with low GL levels). it would be super helpful to me when i go grocery shopping next.

Thanks Everyone!

Not sure if you saw my post earlier...but low sugar fruits are green apples, grapefruit and berries and obviously lemons and limes....good luck!