Office Exercise

Options
I work in an office with an average of 800 people.

I can go for a walk round the inside/outside of the building (depending on the weather)
Is there anything else not too obvious that anyone can recommend to do at a desk?

Only work 3 days a week but they are 10 hour shifts and majority is on my bum :laugh:

Replies

• jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Check this out! And don't worry what others think! We spend more time with our coworkers than our families...they are there to support you...no matter how funny we look! http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/10-minute/get-rid-of-job-related-jiggle/?sssdmh=dm17.487734&esrc=nwfitdailytip120210&email=2067938863

I walk and jog with my coworkers. Last year before our office moved, I took 15 to 30 minute out of my day and just walked the hallways up and down the stairs...from one end of the building to another. The other tenants who i didn't know were supportive and it caught on in the building.

Stability ball at your desk works too. I have never tried it but some of my coworkers have them instead of chairs. Works your posture (abs, etc.).

Good luck
  • dimplez711
    Options
    I'm interested to see what others suggest.

When I'm stuck on a project and can't get away, I circle my feet under my desk like I'm pedaling a bike, or I'll work standing up for a few mins every hour. It's not much but at least gets the blood flowing to my legs.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also have a job that keeps me in my seat for more than 6 hours a day. I like to do arm circles, tree pose at the copier, calf raises, lundges or squats. I set an alarm to go off every hour that reminds me to stop and move for 90 seconds. I work in a small building and there isn't a lot of space so most of it happens at my desk.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    I do chair dips, desk push ups, squats, and calf raises DAILY.

chair dips: http://youtu.be/tKjcgfu44sI
    desk push ups: http://youtu.be/Ax_lDzVHgOE

(squats and calf raises are self explanatory)

I do the last two while waiting for things like the copier, the fax, the printer to print, my coffee to be ready, my lunch to warm up, etc.

Also! I have an exercise ball that i swap out for my desk chair a few times per week.
    Also, whenever the weather permits, i go for a walk during my lunch. Outside is best, but we have a mini-gym with a TV so even on bad weather days, i can get SOME walk in.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I also work in an office, and some co-workers and I do walk at least twice a day/sometimes 3 times. I'm not idol all day, but a majority of my time is sitting. I'm also interested in some of the replies on this matter.
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Boring ol desk job here too. I am very interested to see what suggestions you get. I have thought about the stability ball.... but, I have never seen anyone else here do it and am affraid they will think I have lost it. LOL
  • HOWDY11
    Options
    My trainer told me that sitting on the ball and even bouncing or rolling forward till you feel you abs tighten and hold it, is better than nothing. Also my mother had a physical therapist before she passed away and they gave her a peice of equipment that looked like bike peddles that fits under my desk and is at least movement! Hope that helps! Who cares what they think...they may be thinking the same thing and you will start a trend!
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a stability ball that I sit on instead of my chair...I love it, been using it for about 2 months now. You can do lots of things with it at your desk and no one sees me really...I also do squats in the bathroom (do 5 every time you go in there)....

Calf raises are easy to....do 25 at a time maybe 3-4 times a day....it shouldn't take longer than a minute each time....

Anything to keep you moving!
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that sitting on the ball and even bouncing or rolling forward till you feel you abs tighten and hold it, is better than nothing. Also my mother had a physical therapist before she passed away and they gave her a peice of equipment that looked like bike peddles that fits under my desk and is at least movement! Hope that helps! Who cares what they think...they may be thinking the same thing and you will start a trend!

I have a set of the floor bike pedals. They're advertised as a physical therapy device, but I use them at my desk to keep my legs moving (and no one can really tell I'm doing it). I've thought about a stability ball, but I'm not sure how that would go over with the higher-ups.

Another thing I try is tracing the letters of the alphabet with my toes on the floor. I think this is also a physical therapy technique, but it keeps me moving and no one can see me doing it (plus no equipment needed).
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'll do some squats, stretching...you could even run in place if you wanted!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I have a set of the floor bike pedals. They're advertised as a physical therapy device, but I use them at my desk to keep my legs moving (and no one can really tell I'm doing it). I've thought about a stability ball, but I'm not sure how that would go over with the higher-ups.

Another thing I try is tracing the letters of the alphabet with my toes on the floor. I think this is also a physical therapy technique, but it keeps me moving and no one can see me doing it (plus no equipment needed).

You'd be surprised about what the "higher ups" might say. I know a few people around my office have used the stability ball. I'm sure they paid for it themselves though.
  • NuttyK
    NuttyK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    like the idea of floor pedals :smile:
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I do chair dips, desk push ups, squats, and calf raises DAILY.

chair dips: http://youtu.be/tKjcgfu44sI
    desk push ups: http://youtu.be/Ax_lDzVHgOE

(squats and calf raises are self explanatory)

I do the last two while waiting for things like the copier, the fax, the printer to print, my coffee to be ready, my lunch to warm up, etc.

Also! I have an exercise ball that i swap out for my desk chair a few times per week.
    Also, whenever the weather permits, i go for a walk during my lunch. Outside is best, but we have a mini-gym with a TV so even on bad weather days, i can get SOME walk in.

We do this at my work! It really helps to get up and move throughout the day
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job where I am on my butt for 8-9 a day... I have reconfigured my workspace so I am standing up instead of sitting... I wore a HRM on a day where I sat all day and then again when I stood all day... and doing the latter raised my heart rate and allowed me to burn an extra 40 calories an hour. Not to mention that I can also do a myraid of exercises at my desk while I'm standing...
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    we used to drop everyhour and do pushups and situps, (mornings are situps, afternoons pushups) break from 1100 -1300.. start at 10 and work up every week increasing.. we had the whole office doing them.. adds up quick, we were doing 30 every hour, ends up being 120 of each every day!