Diet Downers

Options
Does anyone else have this issue? The diet downers? Basically what I mean by this would be people who are typically bigger than you put you down for being on a diet.....I'm not sure if it is that they don't understand why you are doing it...or if they are jealous...or whatever!? Not too sure about the reasoning. However, I have a few people in my life who seem to make fun of me if they see me counting out tablespoons of salad dressing for my salad. Or who will mock me and say things like, "Oh no! That's a white carb. put it down!"

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Although....these are the same people that will be the first to complain about their own weight, diet, work out habits, etc.... It is confussing.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i get this all the time...i try not to let it discourage me...but i wanna tell them off
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If I encounter these people, I tell them I am not on a diet (and I'm not!) I am eating mindfully and monitoring what I put into my body. It only makes sense. You have to take care of your body - it's the only one you'll have, your whole life. Why would you put crap food into it every day, and let it get flabby and out of shape? I think being smart about what you eat and exercising on a regular basis should be the norm...then we wouldn't have such a problem with obesity and the illnesses caused by it.
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    Yeah. That's good. I've never thought of watching what I eat as being mindful vs. being on a diet. I like that. I think I will use that! It def. gets frustrating though. But.. that's just how some people are.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If you don't talk about it or bring attention to it, they will stop.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have the same sort of issue, but just a little different. My problem is the skinny girl who constantly says that I am doing the wrong exercises and that the ones that I am doing are not helping. I am burning about 500-700 cals a day and eating 1200. I have been doing this for 6 weeks and have lost 12lbs. I lost 13, but gained a lb back this week??!!!! I have lost almost 2 pant sizes and am 10 inches smaller all around. Clearly I am doing something right even though I haven't moved much on the scale these past 2 weeks.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    @broox80,

First of all, good job on exercising and eating healthy! Remind skinny girl that you are moving, and not sitting on the couch and eating bon-bon's like many Americans. Any effort is a good effort! Secondly, the scale does not matter (much). I would tell you to focus on how your clothes fit, what your energy level is, how well you are sleeping, and your overall health. I've noticed since I started tracking what I eat and when I exercise (and making adjustments accordingly), all of these improve. I can't remember the last time I was sick. If you take care of your body, it will take care of you! Again, awesome job to you, and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    Yeah. I do not bring it to anyone's attention at all. They just see me measure out everything.

12 lbs. lost is such a success! Way to go. People love to tell other what they think about everything I've come to realize so you skinny friend is just another on the list. That's funny though. Maybe the one pound that you gained back is muscle!!! You may weigh more because of it, but you will be smaller in size with it. So the scale is good to check, but sometimes you have to focus on your body. You know it best, and will see the changes for sure! Great job though!
  • Babybirdganz
    Babybirdganz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What you have to do is just brush it off your shoulders!
    I have lost 32lbs by being mindful of what I put in my body, I exercise, and I am always trying to make the healthier choice.
    I have friends that will watch me scan a barcode into my MFP app and make comments like
    "oh you're still doing that? I gave that up ages ago!!" With that tone in their voice... (you know the one I'm talking about)
    At the end of the day YOU know what is best for your body better than anyone else.
    Keep it up!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm basically at goal weight, I get criticized all the time with my food choices. People will say "you're skinny, why are you eating that?" or if I turn down fattening stuff at work people will be like "you can eat this, you don't need to lose anymore weight!" I'm like, yes I know but I busted my *kitten* to get to this size, it doesn't mean I can automatically start shoving 4000 calories down my throat. Plus, I'm concentrating on getting more fit so I eat as clean as I can. My macros and other nutrients are still important to me even when I up my calories. Sheesh!