Impossible Potassium DV

Options
Anyone have any recommendations or success with hitting the daily value of potassium? It seems ridiculously high and I can hardly scratch it, even with multi-vitamins. I looked up foods with high potassium, but it seems like unless I eat 7 bananas a day (or 30 dried apricots) I won't hit it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• emilynova
    emilynova Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Will be interesting to see what kind of suggestions there will be
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble but here is a good list of food high in potassium.... looks like we all need to go buy some swiss chard.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/foodfun/p/potassium_foods.htm

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Eat a potato. They are magically delicious and obscenely high in potassium.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    US labeling laws don't require listing potassium, so the vast majority of items in the database have 0 or NA, even if the foods themselves are loaded with potassium. That means that you simply can't believe whatever MFP is telling you about your potassium daily total. Garbage in, garbage out.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think another part of the problem is that many foods in the database on here do not contain the potassium values for the item, so it appears heavily understated. Coconut water is another good one :bigsmile:
  • tblmt
    tblmt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Avacado's are really good for potassium as well as coconut water...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    You probably get plenty. Supplementing Potassium isn't a good idea, unless it is in a multivitamin.

Since labelling doesn't require Potassium to be included, there are not many entries in this database that include Potassium, so it is harder to get an idea of your intake.

I tracked Potassium for a year, and found that as long as I ate 3-5 servings of colorful veggies or fruits I was getting plenty. Lots of Potassium in potatoes, tomatoes, beans, any squash or pumpkin, melons, spinach, dark green leafy veggies, any fresh fruit.
  • Chimeramonster
    Options
    Thank you! I have been freaked out about how much potassium I'm not getting, so I'm glad the answer is this.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I can't hit 3500 on here either....The best I have gotten to is about 3000 mg's and eat a lot of potassium rich foods. This used to bother me to but from what I have read, it is very rare to have low potassium levels if you are eating a healthy diet....not all potassium is accounted for in MFP either. Spinach has a lot but some of the food entrees here show n/a for potassium. If you have low potassium, you will be having muscle cramps and other issues like urinating a lot....I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having symptoms. You can also have your doctor check your blood levels if you are very concerned.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was fighting a water retention issue recently and was trying very hard to keep my potassium at least twice as high as my sodium while hitting the 3500 mg goal and staying under 1400 calories. It's not easy! I really had to work at what I was eating each day.

The poster above me who mentioned the lack of labeling is right, too. I was specifically looking for high potassium snacks and was disturbed to find items which I know are high in potassium that do not include it in the nutrition information. Pistachios were one item I specifically remember. If I was in charge of their marketing, I'd include it as a part of their package labeling!

ETA: I had my sodium and potassium levels checked before I started this and found out a week later that I'm getting enough potassium with the way I normally eat. I'm not sure where the 3500 mg recommendation comes in....

Also vitamin manufacturers can't make a potassium supplement with more than 99 mg which is less than 1/35th of the recommendation. It's pretty worthless to try to take a supplement for that reason. In addition, the higher dosage prescription pills the doctor gave me literally go right through me without being absorbed at all. Probably TMI, but I once saw one after a BM and you could still see the numbers on the pill. Seriously. Not absorbed at all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    US labeling laws don't require listing potassium, so the vast majority of items in the database have 0 or NA, even if the foods themselves are loaded with potassium. That means that you simply can't believe whatever MFP is telling you about your potassium daily total. Garbage in, garbage out.

This is true in Canada. Potassium listing on nutrition labels is optional, thus the number here is useless.
  • hollyjeanw
    Options
    I have a greeen smoothie every morning for breakfast, which always has kale and usually has a banana. It always has at least two and sometimes three kinds of fruit. I also eat carrots and potatoes in some form or fashion on several days of the week. Between these items I'm always waaay over on my potassium, and I'm not even trying. I just noticed it when I ran some reports a few weeks back. It's very easy to get the potassium you need if you choose the right foods.
  • billarasgr
    Options
    Most of the above comments regarding K are correct. Another thing you need to remember is that K is not lost at the same rate as Na from sweat as is found inside the cells. The body has homeostatic mechanisms to preserve K during regular exercise. Unless you are marathon runner, triathlete or have severe diarrhoea K that is found in a balanced diet is usually enough to cover your needs. Another note is that the DI of K is 4.7 g/day instead of 3.5 g/d. I hope that this helped.
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Didn't realize about the not labeling potassium on foods. I'm big on veggies and especially potatoes (I grew up in Idaho, it's practically against the law not to love potatoes, lol), so it sounds like I'm probably on target for potassium. The community knowledge and support is another reason I love MFP (even if they aren't accurate on potassium, lol). Thanks again!
  • kraftj
    kraftj Posts: 1
    Options
    You can also try Low Sodium V8 it has almost 1200mg of potassium in a 11.5 OZ can and only 200mg of sodium. One in the morning and one at night goes a long way to closing the gap for me.
  • jamesfit99
    Options

Well said. In order to find your actual potassium intake you must do independent research (outside of labels and MSP) to find out how much postassium you're really taking in each day. Not really very hard, just google the food in question and "nutrition" and you should come up with the numbers.
  • pedro_v2003
    pedro_v2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also try Low Sodium V8 it has almost 1200mg of potassium in a 11.5 OZ can and only 200mg of sodium. One in the morning and one at night goes a long way to closing the gap for me.
    Ditto on the V8 Low Sodium. Various types of tomato soups are great as well.

If you go the potato route, it's the skins that are especially important. Red potatoes are a bit better than typical bakers.

It's also worth noting that your potassium needs are strongly related to how much sodium you get in your diet, which is kind of a drag because I swear sodium is in everything. Basically, things with a "positive" potassium to sodium balance are good choices.

I've noticed the N/A and 0mg listings on labels, and I can't help but wonder if at least some of the foods that are usually high in potassium lose the bulk of it in the production process... K is highly susceptible to leaching out when in contact with water (e.g., blanching). I think a lot of it is lack of labeling, but processing/cooking does matter.
  • chunckey
    Options
    The Mayo clinic site lists 1600 to 200g of potassium as adequate for "average" person. One person in this thread was trying to hit their 3500 mg and was corrected by a response saying they should hit 4700. I think the 3500 was based on a 1400 cal/day diet. The 4700 is based on 2000 cal/day. I find it funny that so many sites say most people have no trouble hitting the required potassium and still say 4700 is needed. I don't think that many people are eating a half pound of leaves per day. Look at ratio of potassium to calories and you have to really try to hit 4700 and not exceed recommended calories.

Some fundamental issues: Is the daily allowance really a recommended amount, upper limit, or lower limit? In general, probably none of the above. Also, is it correct to change the amount as a ratio of calorie intake? I don't think there is a one answer fits all to either question. Without knowing how somebody arrived at the numbers for RDA, I find it hard to believe any of it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i focus on this,,,,, all natural foods....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Generally fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy. Potatoes are a better source than bananas. I usually get at least over 3,000, often over 4,000 and looking at my diary for the past few days, potassium has mostly come from tomatoes, mushrooms, turkey, salmon, milk, yoghurt, coffee, potatoes, chicken, mackerel, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, pork, leeks, oats, beetroot, broccoli... as well as dribs and drabs from other items. I often make homemade soups, which are always a good source of potassium and other micronutrients.

You're probably getting more than you think you are.