Embarrassment at the Gym

Options
Had a bit of an embarrassment at the gym this morning. Was working on a machine with my trainer, I think a glute extension (I call it donkeykick). She was having me put my heel on the bar to push and my heel slipped off. The bar crashed down and smacked my other knee. Another trainer came up and said, "Well that was a graceful one" loudly and in a sarcastic tone. It really bothered me and I hate that it did. I don't know this guy and maybe that's his sense of humor, but it didn't seem like the right time. Nothing draws more stares in our gym than weights crashing down. I know it's not a good thing, but it was an accident. I finished up the session but was still burning with embarrassment. I kept my cool but kind've lost it like a wuss when I left the gym. My trainer was a professional and asked if I was okay, then corrected me and we went on. I guess that's why I don't train with the sarcastic guy. :embarassed:

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would complain to the management. That type of behavior for staff is unacceptable.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd consider talking to management about him. That's entirely uncalled for! Unprofessional! Everyone makes mistakes and making a snarky comment is beyond ok. I'm glad you were ok physically and that your trainer was kind, but what an *kitten*!
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, trainers are a mixed bag for sure. You just never know what you'll get, and so many of them are meat headed bro-dogs, its a real turn-off to using one. If the guy was serious about health as he should be, his first reaction should have been to ask if you were ok.
    In my personal life i am a very sarcastic, and dry person, and my friends know im being funny, but at work i am professional because thats what is expected of me. If you're really bothered i would bring it up to your trainer. If she's a professional you should be able to talk to her about it.
    but first take stock and make sure you werent just being super sensitive. It may look less serious tomorrow :)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I busted my *kitten* doing box jumps the other day , too tired after lifting , I fell and I fell hard ..the woman next to me was dying laughing, and rightfully so, Im sure it was funny and id be laughing too, Life is too short to take seriously , and you didnt seriously hurt yourself so maybe the guy has an odd sense of humor, just be confident in what your doing and not take some trainer's comment personally..
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd consider talking to management about him. That's entirely uncalled for! Unprofessional! Everyone makes mistakes and making a snarky comment is beyond ok. I'm glad you were ok physically and that your trainer was kind, but what an *kitten*!

Yep, I'd be pointing out that part if his job is Marketing, not Making Fun of Paying Customers.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If the comment was from another customer, I'd say suck it up. It's gonna happen. Another trainer, though, shouldn't make comments like that. How's that encouraging you to come back. Maybe a simple comment to your trainer or the manager that you didn't appreciate his comment could be passed along. It's worth letting them know that that trainer rubs folks the wrong way so they can gently let him know to take his humor down a notch.

Me, when I hear weights crash down at the gym I tend to ignore it. Unless it's accompanied by a scream of pain, of course. Generally, if there's no indication of someone being injured I just ignore and mind my own business. Most of the time in our gym I guess it's guys putting on more weight than they can put down. hehe
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    OGH THAT STINKS. I would complain too. Onc when I was pregnant, I was being weighed by the nurse and she said "Oh MY" when she saw my weight gain and I was mortified! I left that practice to find another one after that.

Don't let that jack@$$'s comment keep you from going back.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You finished the session, that's all that really matters. Next time you go, I can pretty much guarantee that nobody will remember, so don't let it get to you.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a blunt person. If I dont like something I usually tell people to mind their own business or a more popular choice of words of mine "GO F**K YOURSELF".

Edit: Congratulations on not letting the jerk get to you and finishing your workout! Accidents happen, cant let those little things get the best of you
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    burn the gym down... only way to get them back :)

you finished the session... dont worry.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Iif I say things to the clients of my boss that can be perceived wrong, I'd like to know it. Tell the management youi did not appreciate this guy's sense of humor. At the same time, be sure to compliment your own trainer. The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice. Proverbs 12:15. The gym needs to know if this trainer is a fool or not.
  • tovornca
    Options
    I was working out with my trainer a few days ago and passed gas . . . thank goodness she is a professional and just said "it happens" and moved on. I was mortified of course, but she let it go and this helped me continue on too. I agree that you need to talk to management about this person; he/she is having an effect on your workout and mood which could contribute to failure (or quitting). Good luck, stay focused, and don't worry about what other people think.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would have replied, "So is your face!"
    To be completely honest, I thought you were going to say you let one slip out in the middle of your workout. I think falling/slipping is waaaaay better than cutting the cheese.
    What a meathead-jerkface.
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I passed out cold on the gym floor...no reason just did. It was sooo embarassing that i didnt go back for 7 months!! Now that im back people are always asking me if im ok...drives me crazy and makes me embarassed all over. I have noticed i dont push myself really anymore when im there for the fear of passing out. Lucky for you, no one will remember your mistake. I would def complain though...that comment sarcastic or not isnt appropriate!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I would too. Customer service is part of their job. I had to complain about in instructor at Bally's once who shamed me in front of the whole class because she didn't like the way I did push ups.
    I would complain to the management. That type of behavior for staff is unacceptable.
  • eternalflame30
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened to you, you have every right to be bothered by it. I would complain to the management. If anything they are going to want you to keep coming back so they will want you to feel comfortable. That was out of place for that guy, sense of humor or not.

Good luck!
    Lisa
  • jose615
    Options
    Just ignore it and keep focused in your progress
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    On your way out of the gym tomorrow (you're going back, no arguments) throw your sweaty towel in his face and tell him to do a good job washing it.

You pay to go there, he is an employee there. You pay his salary. He has as much right to harass you as a Burger King employee does when you're getting a Whopper.
  • StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Yup. This. I want it in his file with a copy of the apology he gives me.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My response: "Oh yeah, and let's see how graceful I can be when I kick you in the teeth." Then smirk, hair-flip and walk away. Don't let him get to you!