What is all the hype about Hummus?

Options
I just bought some roasted red pepper and garlic lovers flavors and they are sooooooooo great. Is hummus really good for you or something? How much of it do you all eat? Thanks for getting me hooked :tongue:

Replies

• melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    I just bought some roasted red pepper and garlic lovers flavors and they are sooooooooo great. Is hummus really good for you or something? How much of it do you all eat? Thanks for getting me hooked :tongue:
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    I only tried it once and mabey it wasnt a good brand but i didnt like it at all, i guess its supposed to be a healthy snack dip for veggies and pita a better alternative to say ranch :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat it in spurts of utter addiction then i stay away from it for 1-2 weeks lol....its good for you made from chick-peas..I can eat a container in 1-2 days ha-ha please say im not the only one..I eat on triscuits....I do buy the more expensive brand by the deli..its seems to taste better and have a good texture
  • PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    I would check the serving size on the package. My guess would be about 2 tablespoons. It's high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. By the way, it's way easy to make and way cheaper than buying it already packaged.

-Pixie
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hype? HYPE?

bite your tongue!!!

hummus is a great food

olive oil
    protein
    many uses

learn to love it

good stuff
    have a lovely day:smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hummus!! :love: :love:

it's just good stuff. Adds a ton of flavor to any sandwich with just a little bit. Is a great source of protein and is DELICIOUS!!!! :laugh:

How can that be bad????:wink:
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    I put it on everything!! Last night I spread some on my pork chop. I dont know how I ever lived without it!! I have given up cheese, mayo, and ketchup since trying it!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    All you need to make it is chickpeas, lemon juice, some garlic, and some tahini. Not sure about the ratios since its usually the housemate who makes it :)

But yeah, its yummy, and good for you. Buy dried chickpeas instead of canned if you want it to be even better.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I got some myself yesterday and just tried it. Ok SO not for me. I don't know how you all eat it, but good for you guys. :drinker: I'll be sticking with something else.
  • eammarx
    eammarx Posts: 56
    Options
    I have loved hummus for years. My only issue is that I want a cup of it rather than a TBS. I like to make my own though so that I can omit oil, or greatly limit how much goes in.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried making my own, but my two favorite ways to use it are :

1) in boiled eggs, by taking the yolk out of the boiled egg and replaicing it w/hummus--any flavor you wish; and

2) roasted red pepper hummus as a vegetable dip, especially w/baby carrots.

YUM!!!

(Item one is from the book by Dr. Barry Sears about his Zone Diet, used in conjunction w/pharmeceutical grade fish oil supplementation.)
  • thincindi
    Options
    I'm allergic to tahini. Anyone ever tried making it without?
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i make mine with the garbanzo beans, roasted red peppers, lemon juice, garlic, and other spices - i don't use tahini or oil! it's delish!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I put it on everything!! Last night I spread some on my pork chop. I dont know how I ever lived without it!! I have given up cheese, mayo, and ketchup since trying it!!

Wow, how was it on pork chops? (in lieu of applesauce, I suspose:happy: )
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    2) roasted red pepper hummus as a vegetable dip, especially w/baby carrots.

I've been able to replace veggie dip (like Ranch or worse!) with hummus.
    Basically eating veggies on veggies. Much healthier.