At a stand still! Advice Needed!

Options
Well January was off to a great start, I lost eight pounds and very motivated! February hasn't been the same. I am doing the same things and working out probably more than I did in January and the scale didn't move, not one pound! Has this happened to anyone else? I was consistenly losing 1-2 lbs a week and then in Feb nothing, no budging. I have been trying to stay around the 1200 calorie mark and I usually eat back half of my workout calories. But again, this is what I was doing in Jan and lost 8 lbs. I don't know what I should change or keep the same...Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Your body builds up a tolerance to what you do to it- you gotta level up! (or at least change it up!)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i hope someone else has a thought too, i myself have been going through the same thing. i was loosing .5 lbs a week and then Jan came and i stopped. I lost 1 lb about 1.5 weeks ago but this week it's back on plus more... i upped my calories at that time and i thought ,wow it's working.. but now with the gain, i don't know what to do? do i put them back to 1200? do i add 30min cardio daily back into my routine? now sure what to do? all i know is i gave myself a goal of 10-15 lbs in 5 months and i have only lost 7-8... the 5 month gal date is march 20th.
  • yoovie
    Options
    you figure it out by trial and error- this is not a short term diet- youre going to be with this body for the rest of your life... if something isnt working... try something else! dont wait and just wonder why it isnt working.
  • jrecmcallister
    Options
    I know, I don't know whether to up the calories. I started doing more workouts as opposed to walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I don't know if I am getting enough calories or too much? It is so confusing. Your body works one way one month and then the next it is completely different.
  • yoovie
    Options
    got it, I must be on ignore.
  • jrecmcallister
    Options
    I was typing my message at the same time as yours. I just saw that you put something. I am doing trial and error and it is a lifestyle change for me, no dieting here. Just looking to see if anyone else has had something similar and what worked for them.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I started running and doing th 30day shred, I gained weight at first too....everyone said that my body would start losing again and that I was building a fluid around my muscle likely causing the gain. But I was so frustrated that I no longer work out like that. I walk, that's about it.
  • amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue and decided to start adding short sprints into my walks. I've also heard that calorie cycling helps some people get out of a plateau. Here's an article about it and some other ideas that I found helpful. http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-break-a-weight-loss-plateau.aspx
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, most people lose quite a lot faster the first few weeks just because of a drastic change in the way they eat. It can never hurt to try changing things up.
  • CorinneMeister
    Options
    You need to eat back all of your exercise calories...you need to eat your goal calories as a MINIMUM...if you consume less your body will hang on to everything. Also, increase your protein intake with dairy (2% Plain Greek Yogurt, 1% Cottage cheese) and walnuts and almonds...your body will burn fat to digest these proteins plus you increase your calcium and lower your cholesterol.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    This is so going to sound cliched, but plateaus happen! Happened to me for almost two months!! Stay on track, eat smart and healthy, oh, and re-evaluate your activity level...going thru a winter slump? I was!
  • lin7604
    Options
    I know, I don't know whether to up the calories. I started doing more workouts as opposed to walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I don't know if I am getting enough calories or too much? It is so confusing. Your body works one way one month and then the next it is completely different.

that is exactly how i feel. what i did for 2 months worked, i got a .5 lbs a week loss. then Jan came and i was at a stand still for 1 month, so i upped my calories to see if that would work. I thought it did as after 2 weeks i dropped 1 lbs but then that only lasted for a week and this week i am up 1.5 ??? so not sure what to do? do i keep it where i am or lower it back... this is so hard not knowing what to do...
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you calorie burns are accurate. I would suggest upping your calories a bit, or at least try eating back all your exercise calories since you're at 1200, try not to net under that. Also, have you taken measurements?? That is really more important than weight.
  • MichelleMcClung
    Options
    I would suggest upping your calories to 1500 or 1700 and see how that goes. It sounds like your body has gotten used to the calorie intake and if you have built up strength and muscle which I'm assuming you have with your workouts your body needs more calories to feed your muscles and if you don't give it more it will go into starvation mode type scenario and you won't lose weight. I know it sounds crazy eating more calories but it sounds like you need it. Like someone above here said its all trial and error you just have to try different things to see what will work for you. And you need to give it time. Hope that helps! ;o)
  • lin7604
    Options
    I've had the same issue and decided to start adding short sprints into my walks. I've also heard that calorie cycling helps some people get out of a plateau. Here's an article about it and some other ideas that I found helpful. http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-break-a-weight-loss-plateau.aspx

that was a good article. thanks! i might just try it.