33.8 % of adult Americans are OBESE.

Options

Replies

• thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Truth. It especially bothers me when people use the "average american woman's" size/weight/what have you as the comparison for what is realistic for people to reach in terms of size and fitness. The "average" is too effing fat these days, not the gold standard of health.

Do you know what else bothers me about that? The photos showing the average size women - size 12-14 is what I often see cited. In nearly everyone of those photos, those women do NOT look like they wear a size 10. They look far smaller.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    THIS sums it up for me ......

tumblr_luq8l6eeto1qz5q5lo1_500.jpg
  • xo_morgan
    Options
    Exactly. Someone I ran into the other day asked me if I was "ok" because I lost weight. WTF? If I asked an obese person if they were "ok" I'd get ripped a new one!

Completely agree with this! Its so double standard, ive never heard that i was too skinny or too fat. but i do have some very small friends. & it even irks me when someone says "oh my gosh youre so TINY! Are you OKAY?!"

She eats more than i do..her metabolism is just very high & Shes 5' tall.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    With so many obese folks, overweight is the new "normal"

This guys on fire today.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'll give you a leg around ;-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A lot of celebrities are not healthy. A lot of people just can't be healthy and be a size 0 or 2. I know some people can but a lot of people's frames are not meant to be that small. When I was a 4/6 (and perfectly happy) some people told me I was too thin. I couldn't have disagreed more; however, I certainly didn't want to lose weight and I definitely think it would have been unhealthy for me to be smaller. However, if I was in Hollywood I would be described as a "big" actress. My profile pic is me as a 4/6 (my inspiration) do I look big? Seriously, if that is described as big it's a recipe for encouraging body dysmorphia and eating disorders.

I'll never be a size 2 either. I'm 5'9" and 160lbs.

But really, why do we care about Hollywood? How does it make sense to look at a size 0 star and say "she's too skinny so it's okay to be obese"? We need to focus on ourselves. Most of us can tell what is healthy and most of us here know a healthy way to get there. Yes, eating disorders are real, scary and a huge concern. But in all honestly they are much less common than obesity. I looked it up. Only 1% of teenage girls have eating disorders. 15% of them are obese. Not just "overweight". Obese.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    One person's take on fat acceptance, be warned he is quite harsh

http://beastmodaldomains.com/2011/11/09/fat-acceptance-is-unacceptable/

Yep, epic brutal honesty. Some things have to be said, with a side of wake the eff up. 1st world problems people bring onto themselves, make me frustrated to put it lightly.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic plaguing our pets is what I'm really worried about. The obesity rates for cats and dogs is at 54%! Stay away from kibble and friskies, people! Canned food kills!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Slightly OT, but still trying to get my head around the concept of "deep-fried butter"...
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
    I wanna read this all later when I'm not at work :P
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have been told I'm "too skinny" and that I need to "eat something" all my life...that's probably how I ended up being the definition of skinny fat. Fat belly, flabby arms and just yuck! I used to eat as much crap as I could to try and gain weight bc people would talk about how skinny I was.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have a girl crush on you :blushing:

I get the same. I go home and ALL of my family tells me I need to eat more, gain weight, too thin, blah blah blah. I love them to death, but they are all obese-morbidly obese and I just find it wrong.

Don't EVER call anyone fat though. Call anyone skinny, rail thin, gross, disgusting, manly, but NEVER fat :noway:

You are gorgeous and don't let them get you down. I am obese, but I used to be severly morbidly obese. I do agree that too many people in the world are obese...I'm just doing something about it. :flowerforyou:

Aww ty!!

And look at how much progress you are making! You are doing great and becoming more and more healthy. Which is a great attitude!

Comments like "she could really use a sandwich" make me sad D: I couldn't say the opposite to someone on the boards ya know?? That would be mean!

SAD-CA1.jpg

OMG I love this... especially since you added a kitty pic. And not just any kitty - a british shorthair!!!!!! I have the same cat and I love love love love him, like crazy-person love him.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Truth. It especially bothers me when people use the "average american woman's" size/weight/what have you as the comparison for what is realistic for people to reach in terms of size and fitness. The "average" is too effing fat these days, not the gold standard of health.

AMEN SISTER!! I can't tell you how many times I've been told "but you're like the average woman's size, you don't need to lose weight." UM when the average woman's size is this (I'm about 30 lbs overweight at the moment), we have a problem!! I don't want to be "the norm" if the norm is unhealthy and overweight. While I think body shaming is wrong (no matter what size you are) this whole "embrace your womanly body" bullshiz makes me crazy. Why should we tell women who are unhealthy to embrace their size and stay that way on either end of the weight spectrum??
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    ... 1st world problems people bring onto themselves, make me frustrated to put it lightly.
    Agreed.

I was thinking the same thing. It's only been recently in all of human history that having an abundance of food is a problem.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

This is great!
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am also from a family where everyone 18+ (besides myself now & my husband) are overweight or obese. Whenever we visit I'm told that I need to "Eat more! Take some home!" And I"m constanty being asked, "Have you eaten anything today? Are you okay?"

...and yes, I've even been accused of not feeding my husband properly!!! (He's 180 lbs at 5'11")

Ugh.

BUT on the bright side, my dad just joined weight watchers and told me that I inspried him; so I guess if you can make it through the harrassment stage, you might be able to make it to the making a difference stage!!!
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    A lot of celebrities are not healthy. A lot of people just can't be healthy and be a size 0 or 2. I know some people can but a lot of people's frames are not meant to be that small. When I was a 4/6 (and perfectly happy) some people told me I was too thin. I couldn't have disagreed more; however, I certainly didn't want to lose weight and I definitely think it would have been unhealthy for me to be smaller. However, if I was in Hollywood I would be described as a "big" actress. My profile pic is me as a 4/6 (my inspiration) do I look big? Seriously, if that is described as big it's a recipe for encouraging body dysmorphia and eating disorders.

I'll never be a size 2 either. I'm 5'9" and 160lbs.

But really, why do we care about Hollywood? How does it make sense to look at a size 0 star and say "she's too skinny so it's okay to be obese"? We need to focus on ourselves. Most of us can tell what is healthy and most of us here know a healthy way to get there. Yes, eating disorders are real, scary and a huge concern. But in all honestly they are much less common than obesity. I looked it up. Only 1% of teenage girls have eating disorders. 15% of them are obese. Not just "overweight". Obese.

Good point.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

whoa! that picture of the woman "giving birth to herself" WOOF!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I believe if people acknowledged that you're healthy and fit, they would also have to acknowledge that they're not. So for them it's much more comforting--and safer--to move the goalposts of normalcy and declare that you're too skinny and need to eat more.

i agree. it makes them feel bad when people are "normal" sized so they have to label us. but it's ok, they can say it if they want. i'd rather be "too skinny" (their mislabeling of normal) than "too fat"
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed a little bit of a frosty attitude from my coworkers lately. They all went a diet around the same time I did but they hopped back off the wagon after a week and I have lost 12 pounds. It always reminds me of an article I read once. The author asked, "Why is it socially acceptable to call someone out for smoking but rude to call someone out for eating unhealthy foods. In the end, they are just as harmful to the body." Being fit is worth the cold shoulder. I know there are people out there who appreciate the same things I do, thank goodness for MFP.