Serving Sizes

Options
Hi, I was curious if anyone who has successfully lost weight by followed serving sizes word for word, or did you just kind of eye-ball it?

(For an example Cheerios 1 serving = 1 cup)

Replies

• sthomse5
    sthomse5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I measure just about everything! You can definitely eye the measurements if you think you have a realistic view. But higher calorie foods like pasta, chips and candy I would definitely measure. You can buy tiny baggies and make your own servings!
  • deliak2010
    Options
    I used to just "eyeball it" in the beginning but a few weeks into it I decided to start measuring everything (and I mean EVERYTHING.. cereal, milk, peanut butter, berries, cheese, etc.) and it has helped me lose almost 30 lbs so far! It takes a little getting used to at first, especially when you're hungry and just wanna sit down and eat lol, but I promise it is definitely worth it! Also, you should look into investing in a food scale because that helps w/measuring meats, fruits, grains, etc. since they vary so much in size. When I'm unable to measure something like if I'm at a restaurant/party/etc. I just estimate via the MFP database or look up nutritional values on restaurant websites BEFORE I go out so I can plan what I'm eating and stay under my cals :).

Good luck and feel free to add me for support!! :)
  • TheBauhausCure
    TheBauhausCure Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing can be dangerous! An extra 10 calories here, an extra 30 there...they can really add up! I've gotten so used to measuring that I won't even eat food if I can't measure it anymore.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eyeball something. Now take it and put it on a scale. You'll be amazed at how wrong you are when you eyeball things. Weigh it if you want accuracy. Eyeball everything if you want to be one of those people coming to the message boards wondering why they can't lose any weight even though they track every bite they eat!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I measure everything. Nothing goes in my mouth anymore without being measured.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

That's what she said...
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    this! I've been called neurotic!
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    its a rough aim for me,,,,1 fist size amount of meat same with veg,
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options

I measure everything too. Guessing at calories is not an option for me. I use this site to be accountable to myself and I want to make sure I am as accurate as possible. Good luck!!
  • Swest01
    Swest01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Food scale!
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I measure everything now. I think it's really helped me and gave me a good wake up call on what servings look like and he much I was really consuming.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I measure because I need glasses when it comes to portion size I have bad vision.
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I measure everything, it's a habit i picked up from weight watchers years ago it helps as you will be surprised just how much you get for the weight portion recommended !! and you could end up eating more than you intend to
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eyeball something. Now take it and put it on a scale. You'll be amazed at how wrong you are when you eyeball things. Weigh it if you want accuracy. Eyeball everything if you want to be one of those people coming to the message boards wondering why they can't lose any weight even though they track every bite they eat!

This^^^ Eyeballing can be very dangerous and very misleading. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The question doesn't make much sense. The serving size printed on the box is for informational purposes, to give you an idea of what a particular amount of something contains. Eating exactly and only the serving size won't do anything for you in and of itself. It's about your total food intake versus your energy expenditure...

For example, I typically aim for about 500 calories per meal, give or take, with 2400ish for the day, so for breakfast today I had a serving of granola, a serving of fiber cereal, a half-serving of kamut puffs, a serving of almond milk, and a serving of blueberries. I've done OK with losing weight...

That being said, I measure everything unless I'm at someone else's place or a restaurant, then I try hard to estimate as close as possible.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's always good to weigh/measure what you eat for the most accurate calorie count..especially high calorie food that yu can overeat without realising. I found that was one of the key's to success when I previously lost 18kg along with eating more healthily especially almost no junk food and plenty or fruit and veg.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING. I use the same bowl/cup and find markers in the design to know where to stop
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Serving size is usually larger then you need. I have a food scale and even cut most serving sizes in half. It's worked for me.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i guesstimate all my food lol i never measure or weigh it. this may not work for everyone, but it works for me:) x
  • Pashen4fit
    Options
    I struggle with this as well so I got some measurement cups and I use lil bags to portion my snacks out if they not already in a bag