Is there a healthy way- Chips and Salsa

Options

Replies

• AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Also try adding some lean ground turkey w/ your chips and salsa. It's low fat, high protein, relatively low sodium and will fill you up faster while you're snacking. :flowerforyou:
  • capabledesire
    Options
    La Favorita yellow corn chips...not sure if they sell them all over but you can find them in CO everwhere from King Soopers to Sams and they are only $1.99 a bag. 20 chips is 60 cals.
  • OtakuEngineer
    Options
    I don't know if they sell them nationwide but La Favorita Yellow Corn Stone Ground chips are pretty good. 60 calories for 10 chips, very low in sodium, fat, etc. I love pairing those chips with some fresh salsa.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    make Kale chips and dip them in the salsa.
  • llee1024
    Options
    I use the special K chips with sea salt for guacamole, haven't tried it with salsa. 110 calories for 30 chips.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What in the world is a "negative" calorie.??

It means that your body burns more calories digesting it than it actually has :)
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The best choice I've found (and they are really good) -Snyders of Hanover, white corn tortilla chips. About 13 chips has 140 calories and 4 fat grams. Not too bad compared to other chips and they are fairly priced. Not paying extra like the baked chips.

These are my choice as well. I have found some blue corn chips that are better also but I can't give any brand names off hand. Kale chips sounds interesting- mine have never turned out well.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    who cares. eat less the next day. it's about a deficit, one day or the other.... no need to gnash teeth....
  • blackberrypie
    Options
    I use the Good Food Should Taste Good brand items. The multigrain and blue corn chips are my fave and taste awesome with cheese and my homemade salsa! :)
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    When me & my boyfriend used to have chips & dips we'd buy two large share bags of chips, pile them on a plate & layer them with a whole block of cheese, ping them in the microwave & eat full tubs of sour cream, salsa & guacamole, way over 2500cals each. I can't believe I ever did that.
  • littleaprilina
    Options
    Not really a chip but I use Wheat Thins! They're salty enough to have that tortilla chipish salty taste & give you that crunch!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think we got these at Sam's club: Boulder Canyon Natural Foods - Garden Select Vegetable Crisps Hearty Cheddar--15 chips is like 120 calories...and they're delicious!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think the healthy way would be to eat a portion size that is within your nutritional/calorie needs for the day. Enjoying your food is as important as regulating it.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's flax seed "tortilla" chips are the best!!!! If you are having trouble not eating the whole bag of something, try individual portion bags.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Take a pita and cut it into 8 triangles (I use a pizza cutter for this). Then split the two layers so you end up with 16 triangles. Lay them on a cookie sheet and spray lightly with oil (flip over and pray the other side a bit if you like, not necessary)... then sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like ( or just a bit of salt, which is all I do). Pop it in the oven for just a few minutes (maybe 8, it depends on your oven) at 325 F or about 175C. Remove from oven and prepare to defend yourself and your pita-chips from anyone who smells them or happens by! These are fantastic, and NOT fried, like regular chips. Now dip to your heart's content!
    If you don't want to use a pita or tortilla for this you can try Wonton wrappers (just read that recipe in my daughter's "after-school" recipe book she checked out of the libray and wanted to give it a try!)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Veggies Straws taste great!!!!
  • SheilaParker
    SheilaParker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with making your own! I love homemade chips way better than the store bought now. And you can only make a pan full so you don't tempt yourself in overeating.

Wondering what your recipe is to make your own??

Would like to know as well!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What in the world is a "negative" calorie.??

It's a myth. Supposedly ..... it takes more calories to digest than the food contains. Eat celery & the pounds will come flying off!

Baked chips are super easy. Cut corn tortillas (or high fiber/low carb ... experiment) into triangles. Use an oil mister (or Pam spray). Spray each side with oil, sprinkle with salt, chili powder (whatever) layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes.
  • jtyack
    jtyack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Join the club, I am a chips and salsa fiend, too! I could eat an entire jar of salsa in one sitting, but I've discovered that if I eat some protein WITH my chips and salsa (like a 1/4 cup of black beans), I feel more satisfied, and therefore I don't gorge on the carbs. It helps me stop at 1 oz. of chips instead of devouring 1/2 a bag.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For me it's the salty crunch of a tostito chip that I miss. I could eat a whole bag of them. The best substitute I can find for my taste is Popchips. 22 per serving and 120 calories. I love the Salt and Pepper flavor. I sometimes only need a 1/2 a serving to kill my craving too but it's nice to know I can eat a whole serving and not kill the diet.

I dipped tostitos more in cheese than salsa. I do like a low fat cheese omelet with a little salsa and sour cream on top. Doesn't have the chip crunch but works for me.

I did recently see a recipe for a potato chip omelet. Sounds crazy but I could see where salty kettle chips would be good with eggs. It made me wonder if popchips would be good with eggs.