Lifting Questions

Options
My exercise routine is usually cardio for 30-40 mins and then at least 20 mins of strength. I rotate what I do for cardio and use Self strength workouts so my body doesnt get use to my workouts.
My question is more on the weight I should lift. I really want to tone my arms, back, and shoulders. I only use 8-10 dumbbells and I am not exactly sure the weight on the machines. Ive heard many different opinions like light weight high reps or heavy weight and max reps. Does it depend on the person? How do I know I am lifting the correct amount?
I do have quite a bit of fat that I also want to lose so I know I may not see the results right away.

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you lift low weight/high reps or high weight/low reps. The key is to work your muscles. And don't worry about getting "huge", women cannot get big unless they are taking steriods or have lost of testosterone in their system naturally.

I tend to lift "heavy" by some standards. For example, for bicep curls, I use 25 pound dumbells for a set of 6 to 10 reps. However I have gone up to 30 pounds for fewer reps. It depends on how I want to workout for the day.

My sister uses the "New Lifting Rules for Women" and loves it. It gives you great examples on how to lift and also offers a plan to push your body. Here is the link:

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

Good luck!!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You are wonderful! Thank you.
  • careyharv
    Options
    You are welcome. I hope it helps you reach your goal!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you lift low weight/high reps or high weight/low reps. The key is to work your muscles. And don't worry about getting "huge", women cannot get big unless they are taking steriods or have lost of testosterone in their system naturally.

I tend to lift "heavy" by some standards. For example, for bicep curls, I use 25 pound dumbells for a set of 6 to 10 reps. However I have gone up to 30 pounds for fewer reps. It depends on how I want to workout for the day.

My sister uses the "New Lifting Rules for Women" and loves it. It gives you great examples on how to lift and also offers a plan to push your body. Here is the link:

Good luck!!

disagree, if you want to increase muscle mass then you need to lift heavy, enough that you can't make it to the 9th rep with good form.

Try do ” heavy lifting” on it's own or at least before cardio. You need 100% energy and concentration to lift correctly and avoid injury.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, you should aim for heavy weights/low reps, like muscle failure in 8-12 reps. If you're working on muscular endurance then lower weights and high reps. I personally feel a combination of these would be best. Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

disagree, if you want to increase muscle mass then you need to lift heavy, enough that you can't make it to the 9th rep with good form.

Try do ” heavy lifting” on it's own or at least before cardio. You need 100% energy and concentration to lift correctly and avoid injury.

Not just increase muscle mass, if you want to limit the amount of muscle you lose while dieting you need to lift heavy. Heavy is relative. Pick a weight where you can do 6-10 reps or so, the last couple in each set should be difficult to complete with good form. If you can get 10or so reps with a certain weight, then move up to a heavier weight.

and I agree 100% with lifting before cardio, if you are tired from cardio it is much easier to use bad form, which can lead to injury.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you have 2 types of muscle fibers twitch 1 and twitch 2 do both heavy and light, start with heavy's this will give rip both fibers and give better results than working on a singular
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Agreed I have a personal trainer friend and since I have been gaining weight and we cant figure out why she advised me to start lifting heavy. She thinks that I am losing muscle by doing so much cardio and that I need to build muscle mass to get rid of the body fat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, you should aim for heavy weights/low reps, like muscle failure in 8-12 reps. If you're working on muscular endurance then lower weights and high reps. I personally feel a combination of these would be best. Hope this helps.

No reason to lift more the 12 reps (ever), Use cardio for endurance, not weights. You will see much faster results doing the heavier weights lower rep ranges, even as low as 5-6 reps (I prefer 6-10 though)
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Such a wonderful responses. Yes!

Lift max 9-10 reps, if you can do 10rep , increase weight by 10%

Do lifting in proper form!!!!!!! Do not take shortcuts. It is hard, but you gotta learn to love and enjoy it:D Mp3 music helps alot to pump you up before workout!
  • careyharv
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative to the person. What I consider heavy or light is not the same as the original poster. The number of reps is also relative as I consider anything over 12 reps to be high.

That is why I linked the book to her. It can provide her with great information on how to lift - which does include weights, form and reps. I think it is a good start to someone who is still learning about lifting.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym i'm sure plenty of guys will show you the Stronglifts 5x5 routines.
    Its easy and only requires 3 days a week.

Search complete!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative to the person. What I consider heavy or light is not the same as the original poster. The number of reps is also relative as I consider anything over 12 reps to be high.

That is why I linked the book to her. It can provide her with great information on how to lift - which does include weights, form and reps. I think it is a good start to someone who is still learning about lifting.

Have a great day everyone.

Comparing weight to weight yes, not when comparing volume
  • careyharv
    Options
    [
    Comparing weight to weight yes, not when comparing volume

I was referring weight to weight.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym i'm sure plenty of guys will show you the Stronglifts 5x5 routines.

Search complete!
    i go to an all women gym :/
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Search complete!
    i go to an all women gym :/

squat.jpg

CarrieBeforeAfterLeangainsDiet.jpg

Both these women use compound lifts only.
    Its all you need as outlined in Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting strength.
    Both lift almost double their body weight.

Equal opportunity is exactly what it is!
    Train like a human and dont think of it as a mans part of the gym or womens!
    Just lift and lift heavy!