The Torture of the Food Addiction

Options
starteam144
starteam144 Posts: 22 Member
I have overcome one of the biggest challenges I have personally ever faced... Food Addiction. Just like a drug I used food to comfort my self. I needed to constantly be around food and the mental compulsion to over eat was ruining my life.

I am grateful to God, my church family, my wonderful co workers, the staff at lifeskills 411 and of course the fellows and sponsors of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous for my life changing transformation from 335 lbs... to 223... YEP 112 weight loss...

When you cant control what you eat... when you cant say no to a particular food, when you eat more than you should you very well may have a problem with food.

For me Ioved to eat. I loved to sit in front of the TV and binge on everything I can... first a big dinner full of comfort food, pot roast, potatoes, of course some veggies so its healthy... then some dessert... cake or ice cream, add some candy, chips, crackers, popcorn, a starbucks and on and on and on I go. Over eating to the point of feeling absolutely stuffed.

I never wanted to get out of my chair... I just wanted to eat and be alone. Its a common coping mechanism and many people eat when they are stressed or lonely and need some comfort but over eating makes you fat and being fat can ruin your life... with relationships and your career.

Any way...

I know I ate because that is what I was taught to do by my parents. When they would get in a fight and make up they took us out for a treat, candy, pizza, ice cream or some drive through fast food items.

I always ordered 4 tacos... 2 burgers... shakes and wanted more and more... now I know when I have an emotional issue going on or I need some attention... ask for it... "I need a hug", "I need some attention". Its ok to ask for love and attention. We all need it...Dogs beg like crazy for a pat or some attention yet we are embarassed... why? Conditioning...pride...shame.

I say get rid of that.

We all have a right to be loved...

Food addiction is a silent torture for many lonely women and they may be alone because of their weight and also because of self esteem or other emotional issues. Food Addicts in Recovery was a big help for me in dealing with the compulsion with food and in my weight loss. CODA Co Dependents ....helped me deal with not being co dependent in a relationship and smother who I am or what I need...

Lifeskills 411 helped me learn the skills to live life...

And my wonderful church, co workers, family and friends helped me learn to accept their love and accept myself.

To the many who have loved and cared about me... both men and women... I love you.

And Thank you so much for caring.

Julie

Replies

• starteam144
    Options
    I have overcome one of the biggest challenges I have personally ever faced... Food Addiction. Just like a drug I used food to comfort my self. I needed to constantly be around food and the mental compulsion to over eat was ruining my life.

I am grateful to God, my church family, my wonderful co workers, the staff at lifeskills 411 and of course the fellows and sponsors of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous for my life changing transformation from 335 lbs... to 223... YEP 112 weight loss...

When you cant control what you eat... when you cant say no to a particular food, when you eat more than you should you very well may have a problem with food.

For me Ioved to eat. I loved to sit in front of the TV and binge on everything I can... first a big dinner full of comfort food, pot roast, potatoes, of course some veggies so its healthy... then some dessert... cake or ice cream, add some candy, chips, crackers, popcorn, a starbucks and on and on and on I go. Over eating to the point of feeling absolutely stuffed.

I never wanted to get out of my chair... I just wanted to eat and be alone. Its a common coping mechanism and many people eat when they are stressed or lonely and need some comfort but over eating makes you fat and being fat can ruin your life... with relationships and your career.

Any way...

I know I ate because that is what I was taught to do by my parents. When they would get in a fight and make up they took us out for a treat, candy, pizza, ice cream or some drive through fast food items.

I always ordered 4 tacos... 2 burgers... shakes and wanted more and more... now I know when I have an emotional issue going on or I need some attention... ask for it... "I need a hug", "I need some attention". Its ok to ask for love and attention. We all need it...Dogs beg like crazy for a pat or some attention yet we are embarassed... why? Conditioning...pride...shame.

I say get rid of that.

We all have a right to be loved...

Food addiction is a silent torture for many lonely women and they may be alone because of their weight and also because of self esteem or other emotional issues. Food Addicts in Recovery was a big help for me in dealing with the compulsion with food and in my weight loss. CODA Co Dependents ....helped me deal with not being co dependent in a relationship and smother who I am or what I need...

Lifeskills 411 helped me learn the skills to live life...

And my wonderful church, co workers, family and friends helped me learn to accept their love and accept myself.

To the many who have loved and cared about me... both men and women... I love you.

And Thank you so much for caring.

Julie
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story! Its very inspiring!
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    This was definitely an inspiring and eye-opening story. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Great Story. Keep going, congrats on the weight loss.:drinker:
  • starteam144
    Options
    Thanks I am so glad my story helped... It is so wonderful to actually have power to say no to food cravings...

I used to spend so much time and money chasing my next food fix.

Drive thru's... pizza... donut binges and now I don't have that money on my back.

Its there but not controlling me.

Julie
  • starteam144
    Options
    Oh Thanks

I am glad you enjoyed it.

It looks like you are doing very well with your weight as well.

I am so sore from working out yesterday...abs, arms...ahhh

But its worth it.

Julie
  • starteam144
    Options
    Oh Thanks...I appreciate everyone's feedback:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. It is very inspiring. I used to go to Mcdonalds and get a Large big mac meal, double quarter pounder with cheese, and chicken nuggets, large Dr. Pepper. I don't do this anymore and I no longer overeat.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. It is very hard to find out what lies beneath in conquering our overeating and/or food addiction. But you are a testament that it can be done!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!