what kind of exercise equiptment is good?

Options
is a gazelle good to have? or is a treadmill better? I am thinking about buying one can't decide what i want can any body help?

Replies

• slimbemerjm
    Options
    is a gazelle good to have? or is a treadmill better? I am thinking about buying one can't decide what i want can any body help?
  • KristiM
    KristiM Posts: 3
    Options
    I own a tortuni ellipitical trainer. Much better than running on the treadmill - i can actually read while I train and I burn 100 cal per 10 mins. You can adjust the resistance and my husband does the bike trainer programs which is really hard - i stay with the manual.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We have an elliptical trainer at home too. I used to have a treadmill but it eventually died. I wish I had room for another one. I feel like I get a better workout on the treadmill but I do love that I am able to work out and read at the same time on the elliptical.
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    I like the cross-trainer, it targets arms and legs as well as tummy... I definitely sweat a lot more on it and burn a lot more calories than I do on a treadmill.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I would say a treadmill because you can walk on it, run on it, walk sideways or backwards, move your arms and legs, add weights... it just seems more versatile. But it really boils down to: What will you actually use on a regular basis?
  • tjblue2
    tjblue2 Posts: 15
    Options
    The best investment I have made was not equipment per say but a Polar Heart Rate Monitor.
    You customize the settings to your height, weight, sex ,age and resting heart beat. As you preform activity , it monitors your heart rate and calculates your calories burned. An alarm will sound if you are exceeding your target heart rate. This feature is designed to keep you from starting strong and finishing weak. On the flip side, if you hare not working hard enough, the alarm will sound again.
    Best of all, you can wear it any time so if you want to know how many calories you burn while washing the car, sweeping the floor or chasing after kids and pets, you can!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't buy a treadmill. You get a better workout walking outside. I walked on the treadmill at school for most of the semester and didn't really feel anything afterwards, but now that its warm out i walk outside and i actually feel like i worked out some muscles.

i would recommend buying an elliptical. i bought one during the new years half off sale back in 08 and i lost 50 lbs using that alone. go to a store and try them out. some machines have a short stride, and some don't have a ramp. i'm only 5'1 and alot of the machines had even a short stride for me.

i bought the reebok 1000x. i can increase the resistance and change the incline.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    running shoes and a skipping rope, run, walk, skip, play squash, tennis, ride a bike, run up and down your stairs, save the money for a new wardrobe, you don't need special equipment to lose weight.
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a Gazelle and a $800.00 treadmill I bought the Gazelle used for $50.00 and I use it all the time, the treadmill has dust on it. I love the workout of the elliptical but don't want to spend a lot when I can use one at the fitness center. I have bad knees and the Gazelle is smooth and folds up and out of the way when not in use. I can make the work out as hard as I want too, and I get a good workout on my arms too. Bye one used, don't waste your money on new.

146785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You're getting lots of good advice here.
    Hubby & I like the recumbent bike because when the weather is too hot or wet for walking outside, we can ride the bike.
  • cryt11
    cryt11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Where do I get one of these HR monitors?:wink:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new Polar F4 off of eBay. You can also get it off of Amazon. I don't have mine yet, but I'm super excited! I don't need a lot of other equipment...I just need time outside by myself to walk. :smile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    running shoes and a skipping rope, run, walk, skip, play squash, tennis, ride a bike, run up and down your stairs, save the money for a new wardrobe, you don't need special equipment to lose weight.

And there it is!
  • tjblue2
    tjblue2 Posts: 15
    Options
    Regarding the HR Monitor, local sporting good stores retail for the same price as eBay if you don't want to wait.

The Polar website www.polarusa.com is a great place to visit before you purchase, as they offer a variety of models at different price points.

I bought the Polar F11 and am very happy with it.

Polar F11:
    For personal guidance this intelligent monitor gives you more than just your heart rate. It includes a personal training program, that tells you how hard, how long and how often to train. Now you don’t need to guess, you can be sure that you are getting the most out of your training. There’s nothing better to get you well on the road to a fitter you.
    Improve fitness with a personal training program, that gives you clear targets based on your personal condition and goals see your progress and get motivated by doing an intelligent but simple fitness test see how many calories you have burned