What kind of pots and pans should I buy?

Options
UponThisRock
UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
I need a new set of pots and pans. Right now, I have a set of nonstick stuff that's about 10 years old, it's long past time for a replacement. I don't want the most expensive stuff, but I don't want the cheap stuff either. I don't mind paying a little more, but it has to be something that's going to last and cooks food well without uneven cooking, sticking, etc.

Help, please.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    Options
    LOL, I just got an ad at the top for "Orgreenic Cookware." No thanks.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i personally love my le creuset cookware. i highly recommend it. but it's quite pricey! if you have an outlet near by, that's the way to go.
  • CAKEDOC
    CAKEDOC Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Macy's near you? Try the Calphalon set. We have one that we got for our wedding, little expensive but well worth the money. Long lasting, non-stick, good quality product. Make sure to get the non-stick ones
    Check out macys.com.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Buy the Better Homes and Garden (BHG) stuff. It's not the cheapest, but it's not the expensive All-clad either.
    They make some great Le Creuset knockoff stuff, (enameled cast iron) which we use for about 80% of our cooking.
    Their bakeware is awesome.
    For little saute pans, cheap is best. ought a pair at Sam's Club for about $9.
    Pasta cooker pot? Cheap, who cares..
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    i personally love my le creuset cookware. i highly recommend it. but it's quite pricey! if you have an outlet near by, that's the way to go.

It doesn't look like they really sell a set like I'm looking for, they try to make you buy all those individual pieces, lol.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is pricey, but I love our Ameriware cookware http://www.ameriwareprofessional.com/cookware/pages/main.html
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Do you have a Macy's near you? Try the Calphalon set. We have one that we got for our wedding, little expensive but well worth the money. Long lasting, non-stick, good quality product. Make sure to get the non-stick ones
    Check out macys.com.

I see a wide price range, and different types of materials. What kind of material is the best/most durable?
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i use it because it's excellent quality. goes from stove, to oven, to fridge, etc. and it's does haven't the toxic nonstick coating.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just bought a set at Costco. Kirkland brand. About $150 for the set. I'm really happy with them... I'd have loved Calphalon that just ain't in my budget! LOL
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have Pampered Chef that I've used for 11 years and still love it. Paid a bit more than I should have but it's non stick, cooks evenly and very easy to clean.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I like my Calphalon Hard-Anodized Non-stick Pots & Pans. If you're not much of a cook, they absolutely fit the bill without being extremely pricey nor cheap.

IMO, you wouldn't want to do something like copper or cast iron unless you really know what you're doing and how to treat them.

A non-stick set like the Calphalon will be more easy to maintain and get the results you want for every-day cooking.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I recently picked up 2 Calphalon hard anodized pans. I beat the crap out of them and can really neglect your cooking and things still work out ok.

I have Le Crueset and Revere Copper, but you do actually need to pay attention to what you're doing.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    Go to Roxx/TJ Maxx and get them there, you will save so much money (they even have Le Cruset pieces) Copper conducts heat the best but hard anodized aluminum is a good cheaper material. I find that they are not very "nonstick" so I got a real nonstick 8 in pan for cooking eggs in.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of Cooks, hard anodized pots and pans. about 100 bucks. I love them! no pealing or flaking. but you can't use metal only plastic spoons and spatuals. Oh i bought them at JC Penny's.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Look for 'clad' cookware, 3-ply or higher. Bi-clad is also a popular choice.

In fact, I just bought a set of clad cookware from Lagostina today. The set is 999$ but it was on sale for $400.

You might want to read this:

http://theinductionsite.com/induction-cookware.shtml

Yes, it's a little long but it gives you a great low down on cookware.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I want new pots and pans SO badly! I am always torn on what to buy though, so I am looking forward to reading the responses. That said, regardless of the set you buy you should absolutely get a cast iron skillet if you don't have one. Love mine!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I love my All-Clad. LOVE.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Go to Roxx/TJ Maxx and get them there, you will save so much money (they even have Le Cruset pieces) Copper conducts heat the best but hard anodized aluminum is a good cheaper material. I find that they are not very "nonstick" so I got a real nonstick 8 in pan for cooking eggs in.

I second going to Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I got all my Le Cruset cookware there for VERY cheap!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was bought a set of Martha Stewert nonstick for Christmas. They're fabulous.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*