I need to kick the frozen meal habit.

Options
My mom stopped cooking regular meals when I was in my teens, so we got TV dinners a lot (stouffers, lean cuisine, smart ones, and even banquet, etc. -_-). I got so used to them that it's been the hardest thing to quit since starting my new lifestyle, but I know it's not helping me. Any advice on what should I do?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Make up batch meals of your own. Do slow cooker meals that you can take for lunch/dinner. Once you stop eating frozen meals and start eating unprocessed foods you will only taste salt if you eat the frozen ones. WAY high in sodium.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree...cook once or twice a week and then you can eat the same thing for several days at a time so you won't feel like you're always in the kitchen. You can even make your plate in the morning and stick it in the refrigerator so you still feel like you're having a frozen dinner if it helps you! :D If you want I can give you a few easy recipes. Message me if you do.
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also ate a lot of frozen meals in the past. It was a great cheap way of eating fast in College.

So this is what I have been doing: I have a couple meals that are super easy to cook, which are my go-to when I get home and only have myself to feed. One is pasta with veggies (I just nix the meat because it's takes longer to cook), another one is a salad with chicken/shrimp, and I love love this peanut soba stir fry meal ( http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/04/peanut-soba-stir-fry-857-recipe-143.html ). If you have time to browse the internet, check out different blogs for recipes that sound easy to you. I am a big fan of Budget Bytes and Poor Girl Eats Well.
    And the frozen meals from WholeFoods Market are nice to have around. There's Organic Bistro, Amy's, Evol and others. All of these have no preservatives, lower in sodium, but offer great nutrition. I usually stock up when it's on sale, since Wholefoods prices are not cheap. I know you said you want to kick the habit, but these are better options than Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice/Smart Ones. (I used to eat all of those)

Good luck!