Artificial Sweeteners...

Options
A friend of mine sent me a link from CBS on a study done on artificial sweeteners actually causing weight gain... I thought I'd pass it along. I'm a diet coke drinker but have been cutting it back to a can or two a week because of the aspartame.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main2330142.shtml

Doing a bit more research on my own, this link seems a little more uptodate

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

Replies

• tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine sent me a link from CBS on a study done on artificial sweeteners actually causing weight gain... I thought I'd pass it along. I'm a diet coke drinker but have been cutting it back to a can or two a week because of the aspartame.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main2330142.shtml

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

thank you
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, darn it. Fine, I'll eat real sugar and take responsibility for what I put in my body... :mad:

Just kidding. Great link! I really should cut down on the diet coke. I'll start substituting seltzer and use REAL sugar in my coffee. That sure will limit the intake though!!!
  • brandnewsummerb
    Options
    yeah... i dont think anything will make me give up diet soda, lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

if you ever got free of it and started feeling the beneifts you would wonder why you ever drank it

I guarantee it without any doubt in my mind
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

if you ever got free of it and started feeling the beneifts you would wonder why you ever drank it

Now Dave, I know you're going to freak out when I tell you this but I have almost completely stopped drinking Diet Coke. I never thought it would happen but it is true. :happy:

I've become addicted to the Iced Green Tea I make in my tea maker machine. :bigsmile: Diet Coke doesn't even taste as good as it used to. I used to drink like 2-3 a day and now I'm down to like 2 or 3 a week!

BUT....I haven't really noticed any big change that would make me hoot and holler over new benefits. I'm just sayin.........
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Now Dave, I know you're going to freak out when I tell you this but I have almost completely stopped drinking Diet Coke. I never thought it would happen but it is true. :happy:

I've become addicted to the Iced Green Tea I make in my tea maker machine. :bigsmile: Diet Coke doesn't even taste as good as it used to. I used to drink like 2-3 a day and now I'm down to like 2 or 3 a week!

BUT....I haven't really noticed any big change that would make me hoot and holler over new benefits. I'm just sayin.........

you are a special case
    for you
    it may take longer
    as the song goes
    "That's the way it is":laugh:
  • annaslater
    annaslater Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new here as of today thanks to my chiro in Seattle. Has anyone heard of Tevia the stevia sweetend soft drink? Cola, lemon lime, orange and rootbeer, all calorie free. I know we should only be drinking water, but at least it's not that dreadful aspartame! Plus they taste AWESOME!!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

you are a special case
    for you
    it may take longer
    as the song goes
    "That's the way it is":laugh:

Awwwww.....Dave thinks I'm special!!! :drinker:
  • Loma
    Loma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Where do you find Tevia? That sounds like a good alternative while weening off diet sodas....I make my own iced tea with stevia powder and it is the BEST! I hate the aftertaste you can get from sugar sweetened drinks. :drinker: :drinker:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Where do you find Tevia? That sounds like a good alternative while weening off diet sodas....I make my own iced tea with stevia powder and it is the BEST! I hate the aftertaste you can get from sugar sweetened drinks. :drinker: :drinker:

I just bought stevia powder today and I threw away the box before I got the conversions. How much do you put in your own iced tea?
  • Loma
    Loma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the NOW brand white powdered stevia and i use 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. per half gallon pitcher brewed with 4 regular tea bags.. If you like Southern sweet tea sweet you may need to use more but I like mine sweet but not TOO sweet, hope that makes sense....
    Different brands of stevia sweeten differently so you just have to play with it if you have a different kind.HTH.:drinker:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Agreed... since I started drinking less diet coke, I feel a LOT better. Mind you, I cut back on the diet coke around the same time I started dieting and exercising, so that had a lot to do with it as well.

I just thought it was interesting that diet coke may actually make you gain weight. I just like the taste better than sugar.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I wound up with a free coke zero the other day...after not having diet soda in FOREVER. Wow, I could feel it expanding in my stomach, and it tasted metallic...despite being in a bottle.

I confess though, I haven't been able to give up my Powerade Zero when I work out. I've cut back on the crystal light though. If I have lemon wedges, all is good in the world. But for some reason lime wedges taste horrendous in water to me.
  • annaslater
    annaslater Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's ZEVIA!!! I'm sorry!!! It is a Seattle based company so I am lucky. If you can, order it online. It is way worth it! Zevia.com. Obviously, it is just there for something special that isn't water every once and a while. It is soooo much better for you than aspartame, but anything in excess is always bad for you! Even wine... that's been hard for me to not have what I want of it! :)