Ladies. Want to work your thighs, hips and butt?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to do heavy squats as deep as you can go.

if you are new to weight lifitng , take this advice very very cautiously

So true. Sometimes I get a little excited. This is probably the best way to do it:
    Squats are the best thing you could do. Make sure you can do a squat with just your body properly. Then start adding a bar then weights.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Thank you, I read the article and I was aware of some of the problems with half squatting. However, the dude in the article is writing about power squatting with heavy weights, which is something that I don't do.

If I were to squat deep (with or without weight), I would be in that same position until my knees completing give up or a cute paramedic comes to my rescue.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I did some weighted squats this morning in the gym, and I have felt it all day at work!

Will definitely carry on now I've plucked up the courage lol
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Love it, and you are one of my mfp idols, rae! Love my squats, alas, I'm painfully unflexible and my big ol belly gets in the way of going atg. I try and get lower every time I do them!
  • EmmaGFree
    EmmaGFree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Squatters....

After a year with no exercise except walking (my baby is now 4 months) I went to a circuit training group two days ago. I did all the lowest reps and lowest intensity options, obivously was totally exhausted... but the next day my thighs ACHED (think it was the squats), it is now 48 hours and my thighs are sore to the touch (well gentle squeeze). I have thigh wobble decending stairs and am clutching the bannisters like an eighty year old.

I'm stretching and stretching, I did warm up beforehand too.

Now, is this normal healthy pain, I should suck it up, exercise again and work through wobbles? Or should I allow my shocked thighs to recover before slugging them again?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. There is NOTHING that burns quite like a great set of squats and lunges.
  • ninkira1
    ninkira1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes m'am! Squatts it will be!! :D
  • ninkira1
    ninkira1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Emma- I've read in a lot of muscle building/toning articles that you should wait anywhere between a full 24 hours to 48 hours before giving that same muscle grouping another thrashing- enough time for the muscle to recover and start to build up so it isn't in 'recovery' mode all of the time.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Emma:

That sounds pretty normal. First time I got back under a barbell in a long time, the same thing happened to me. I gave myself a couple of days of light work (I think I ran 5 k one or two of them) until my quads felt mostly recovered, then got back into it.

The good thing is, if you keep it up, the post-workout soreness goes away pretty quickly.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How many sets/reps to you guys suggest???
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I dont do *kitten* to grass yet too much *kitten* to haul back up, but I do parallel squats not half squats as long as that knee is not sticking out you are preventing knee injury.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Love it, and you are one of my mfp idols, rae! Love my squats, alas, I'm painfully unflexible and my big ol belly gets in the way of going atg. I try and get lower every time I do them!

lol this - now that I'm pregnant I can only do wider legged squats low or it's too much pressure on the ol' uterus. Didn't think of that before it happened to me...
  • EmmaGFree
    EmmaGFree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your help guys, It's been over 48 hours now so I'll get back into it tomorrow..... but OUCH, it must be doing some good!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    When I first got back into weight lifting I was sore for a LONG time after each workout. REALLY sore.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem - when I try to do a proper squat I fall over backwards. Any advice?
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Here's my problem - when I try to do a proper squat I fall over backwards. Any advice?

Keep your chest up, weight in your heels, and stick your butt out like you're looking for a chair. If you need to practice holding onto something then do that. Make sure you squeeze your glutes on the way back up to keep your knees in place.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Keep your chest up, weight in your heels, and stick your butt out like you're looking for a chair. If you need to practice holding onto something then do that. Make sure you squeeze your glutes on the way back up to keep your knees in place.

In addition to this, look straight ahead. Do not look up, down, around, etc. Keeping your eyes straight ahead will (generally) keep the rest of you in line.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position

^ Awesome video of squat technique. Allowed me to get lower in my squats and feel more natural doing so. Also, foam roll the hell out of your legs.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_the_squat_bar_position

^ Awesome video of squat technique. Allowed me to get lower in my squats and feel more natural doing so. Also, foam roll the hell out of your legs.

Low-bar squats are the way to go. I actually get the bar down a bit lower myself, but this is a good start for most people.

Do not do squats with the bar up above your shoulders and against your spine. You will grind your vertebrae and generally hurt yourself.