too much exercise?

Options
Hi guys

i have been doing 2 hours of gym work everyday that is broken down too 1 hour of cardio and then followed by an hour or weight training.

i want to make sure that i am not doing anything or doing too much?

i would love peoples opinions and comments please

Replies

• cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing awesome! I really wish that I had the time to workout that much. My family already gives me a hard time with 1 - 1 1/2 hours per day and I do it at home. I really don't think you can work out too much, but I would eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Do you take a day off of the weights to let your muscles heal?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

i have been doing 2 hours of gym work everyday that is broken down too 1 hour of cardio and then followed by an hour or weight training.

i want to make sure that i am not doing anything or doing too much?

i would love peoples opinions and comments please

what do your workouts consist of? I see too many people at the gym who do an hour on the treadmill at a nice walking pace. Yes, they're burning some calories but overall, they're just wasting time. Cardio needs to be more intense and you should be worn out a the end of it. Hopefully you're doing useful cardio and useful weight training. Post some details......
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You can be over training if you're working the same set of muscles in the same way every day. This is mainly true for strength training and high intensity cardio. Lower intensity cardio, like walking, can and should be an everyday exercise. Switch up muscle groups for strength training, as in work legs and back 3 days a week, arms, chest and abs another 3 days a week. For cardio, switch up between running, elliptical, stairs, cycling and swimming if you can. Try pairing a hard cardio, leg based work out (elliptical, spinning class, stairs) with the day you weight lift your upper body. Swimming or walking paired with lower body weight lifting days.

And give yourself a day off to rest and recover. Recover time is essential.