Processed food.....

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
Ok so I was listening to Jillian's radio show and she was talking about processed foods and it got me thinking. A friend and I would love to cut as much of this out of our diets as possible. How do we know what has been processed? How do we find out?? Is there like a link or commen information to find out?? Thank you in advance for answers.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    Options
    Ok so I was listening to Jillian's radio show and she was talking about processed foods and it got me thinking. A friend and I would love to cut as much of this out of our diets as possible. How do we know what has been processed? How do we find out?? Is there like a link or commen information to find out?? Thank you in advance for answers.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are those in packages, cans or boxes, ready to heat & serve.
    Try to fill up with fresh fruits & veggies, lean meats, stuff like that.
    Shop around the outside edges of the grocery store - the produce section, meats, dairy. Stay out of those center aisles for food as much as you can.
  • erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    The Clean Eat-Clean Diet book, Tosca Reno. She also has a workbook and recipe book.
    You might do a search for her. There is also lots of information on the Oxygen Magazine website.
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You know it is a processed food when you read the ingredients and you either, don't know what it is, or you can 't pronounce it.

141041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    Also, there is plenty you can eat that comes in a can/box.
    Like:
    slow-cook oatmeal, yogurt, unsweetend applesauce, canned pumpkin, oatbran, cottage cheese, raisins, almonds, just to name a few.
    Be sure to CHECK labels to be certain there is no added sugar, etc.
    Like Libby's canned pumpkin says: "pumpkin"
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's processed if it went through a lot of machinery and chemical finagling to get to your tummy. For example, Cheetos. You will not find a Cheetos plant in the wild, nor will you find an animal that people prize for its elegant Cheetos.

Sometimes, the same food can be processed or not processed. For example, Skippy Peanut Butter is very processed, whereas a natural peanut butter (like Maranatha) is not.

Processed foods contain chemicals and artificial ingredients that make your body go "what the fvck?!" They'll digest, but the emerging thought is that they do not digest well, and in the end will leave you running on junky fuel.

So it's good to eat as little processed food as possible. Read the ingredients label--if you can pronounce everything and the list isn't long, then chances are it has minimal processing. Also look into natural additives (such as xantham gum) which are ok, as opposed to godawful stuff that will hurt you (hydrogenated oil).

Jillian is right on the money in emphasizing whole, unprocessed food. I don't care about those Weight Watchers chicks and their 1 point frankenbrownies--that stuff isn't food! I firmly believe that one is much healthier with as few unnatural foods as possible.
  • Rottiemama
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the store and stay out of the isles.....that is where most of the processed foods lie in wait!!!!:tongue:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's processed if it went through a lot of machinery and chemical finagling to get to your tummy. For example, Cheetos. You will not find a Cheetos plant in the wild, nor will you find an animal that people prize for its elegant Cheetos.

Sometimes, the same food can be processed or not processed. For example, Skippy Peanut Butter is very processed, whereas a natural peanut butter (like Maranatha) is not.

Processed foods contain chemicals and artificial ingredients that make your body go "what the fvck?!" They'll digest, but the emerging thought is that they do not digest well, and in the end will leave you running on junky fuel.

So it's good to eat as little processed food as possible. Read the ingredients label--if you can pronounce everything and the list isn't long, then chances are it has minimal processing. Also look into natural additives (such as xantham gum) which are ok, as opposed to godawful stuff that will hurt you (hydrogenated oil).

Jillian is right on the money in emphasizing whole, unprocessed food. I don't care about those Weight Watchers chicks and their 1 point frankenbrownies--that stuff isn't food! I firmly believe that one is much healthier with as few unnatural foods as possible.
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    another question on top of the one I already asked. I'm going to start making my own spagettii sauce. So I don't have to buy that anymore. I buy whole wheat noddles would that be processed??
  • Rottiemama
    Options
    whole wheat noodles are processed but far, far better than white pasta....If you can find Golden Grain brand that is a good one. Some of the store brands taste like cardboard while the Golden Grain brand is very , very nice!! I am sure some of you wonder how can someone that hasn't lost weight on this MFP board know anything but I have been battleing weight for awhile and I can give great advice and even stick to it at times:bigsmile: I just have emotional issues that keep me off task...liek right now I have been great all day, lots of good foods & plenty of water....yet all I can think about is a Dairy Queen Blizzard....that is where I lose the battle. I just can't seem to stay on track, or I lose the weight but gain it back + a few extra..... any suggestions there??
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    the thinner the noodle, the less the grainy feel is.

I make a mean tomato sauce. I have learned to add veggies to make it thicker, and so I dont need as much pasta with my meal.

Big salad prior, and it is all good!

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    BTW JG you are looking GREAT!!:glasses: