Steel Cut Oats in Rice Cooker

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
A long time ago Msarro wrote that he eats steel cut oats for breakfast, and uses a rice cooker to make them.

I have no time to stand and stir something for 30 minutes in the morning. Now I take my rice cooker, 1/2 cut oats, 1.5 cups water and put it in the rice cooker with the lid on. As I am making my coffee it is getting to the boiling point. I stir, and REMOVE the lid (very important-still cleaning up the mess!)

I boil it while I am getting ready, and the rice cooker automatically shuts off after 15 min or so.

I take it with me to work, add a packet of Raw Sugar. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Some people put peanut butter or fresh fruit in. I put some blueberries in the cup, and they cooked a bit on my way to work.

I wanted to pass this one, as someone did for me!!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    A long time ago Msarro wrote that he eats steel cut oats for breakfast, and uses a rice cooker to make them.

I have no time to stand and stir something for 30 minutes in the morning. Now I take my rice cooker, 1/2 cut oats, 1.5 cups water and put it in the rice cooker with the lid on. As I am making my coffee it is getting to the boiling point. I stir, and REMOVE the lid (very important-still cleaning up the mess!)

I boil it while I am getting ready, and the rice cooker automatically shuts off after 15 min or so.

I take it with me to work, add a packet of Raw Sugar. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Some people put peanut butter or fresh fruit in. I put some blueberries in the cup, and they cooked a bit on my way to work.

I wanted to pass this one, as someone did for me!!
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Using a pot is such a pain. A few months ago when I was looking for a rice cooker for my steel cut oats, I stumbled across a review where someone had used a food steamer instead. Since its multifunctional, I bought an Oster food steamer that comes with a 'rice' bowl. I put the water and oats in - set it and forget it for 30 minutes. It will even keep it warm for another 30 minutes I think. I love using the steamer and it is so much easier to clean that little bowl.

I have mine with a little agave and ground flaxseed. Sometimes I add a little milk. I love my steel-cut oats!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Is flaxseed good for you? Maybe I should get some.

I like a bit of sugar.........but with the real oats, I actually love the taste and texture. Never knew what I was missing!

Hmm, steamer. Then I could do my veggies in there too. Good idea.

:flowerforyou:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What are Steel Cut Oats? Who makes them, where can I get them, how much better are they than my Quaker Oats that I cook on the stove for a couple minutes ?(I put Schillings Maple Flavoring from the spice section & Splenda w/ a dash of morton's sea salt in mine)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    What are Steel Cut Oats? Who makes them, where can I get them, how much better are they than my Quaker Oats that I cook on the stove for a couple minutes ?(I put Schillings Maple Flavoring from the spice section & Splenda w/ a dash of morton's sea salt in mine)

That sounds good!

I get McCanns Steel Cut Irish Oats. They come in a can that you have to open with a church key (paint can opener) I they are whole grain without the hull removed. The doctor told me if I was going to eat oats to lower my cholesterol, then eat these. They take longer to cook, thus the new rice cooker

I make up 2 cups sometimes and split it into 4 servings in the fridge.

I love em!:flowerforyou:
  • Rottiemama
    Options
    OMG!!! Steel Cut oats are the best. You can usually find them in the bulk bins in stores or the ORganic section...it is raw oats before they are processed down to Slow cooking oatmeal...(meal being the key word) then processed further to instant oats...and further yet for the yucky flavored packets of maple & brown sugar and the like!! They have substance and much higher in fiber which will keep you fuller longer!!! Check them out!! Yummo!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    OMG!!! Steel Cut oats are the best. You can usually find them in the bulk bins in stores or the ORganic section...it is raw oats before they are processed down to Slow cooking oatmeal...(meal being the key word) then processed further to instant oats...and further yet for the yucky flavored packets of maple & brown sugar and the like!! They have substance and much higher in fiber which will keep you fuller longer!!! Check them out!! Yummo!!:flowerforyou:

Is it cheaper to buy in the bulk bin? Can I bring a bowl or do I have to use their plastic bags?
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    I make mine the night before. 20 minutes on the stove-low low heat. 2 cups is 8 servings. I use my food scale to measure 6 ounces which usually ends up being 1/8 of the total (140calories) and then add 1/2 cup light soy milk, 0.5 ounces sliced almonds, 1/2 cup strawberries and some truvia sweetener. it's about 280 calories and ooohhh sooo delicious.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I make mine the night before. 20 minutes on the stove-low low heat. 2 cups is 8 servings. I use my food scale to measure 6 ounces which usually ends up being 1/8 of the total (140calories) and then add 1/2 cup light soy milk, 0.5 ounces sliced almonds, 1/2 cup strawberries and some truvia sweetener. it's about 280 calories and ooohhh sooo delicious.

ooh almonds, hadnt thought of those. :drinker:
  • Lynn661
    Lynn661 Posts: 28
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you

You are very welcome!!:drinker:
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I just read the post about using a rice cooker and I'm giving it a go now. I never noticed this before on the package but I think it says to store the uncooked oats in the fridge!?? I've had them in my cupboard for a while in a plastic container and I wonder if they should have been in the fridge this whole time?
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm confused about how much a person can have for 140 calories? On my package it says 1/4 cup is 140 calories. I took that to mean 1/4 cups of the finished product. When I enter it in my food, most of the entries say 1/4 c. dry? I think I'm correct in saying that 1/4 cup dry (when cooked) would be more than 1/4 cups of the cooked oats.
  • emmie110
    Options
    I'm confused about how much a person can have for 140 calories? On my package it says 1/4 cup is 140 calories. I took that to mean 1/4 cups of the finished product. When I enter it in my food, most of the entries say 1/4 c. dry? I think I'm correct in saying that 1/4 cup dry (when cooked) would be more than 1/4 cups of the cooked oats.

Yes, 1/4 cup dry is going to have more volume cooked. They soak up all that water and expand. The serving size is for the oats uncooked. I usually make a double batch and just divide into 2 separate containers. Just make sure you record the precooked measurement in your food log.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Do the steel cut oats have a different texture than the basic oatmeal that comes in the packages??
  • emmie110
    Options
    Is flaxseed good for you? Maybe I should get some.

I like a bit of sugar.........but with the real oats, I actually love the taste and texture. Never knew what I was missing!

Hmm, steamer. Then I could do my veggies in there too. Good idea.

:flowerforyou:

Flaxseed is very good for you. It is very high in omega-3 fatty acids, good for the heart, among other things. It is important to get the ground version. The whole flaxseed will do you no good - our bodies cannot digest it whole so we wouldn't get any benefits. I buy the Bob's Red Mill version.

Oh and I also buy my oats in the bulk food bin for about 85 cents/pound. So much cheaper than the ones in the tin and even cheaper than Bob's Red Mill.

My steamer is great - it has 2 tiers though I only use the bottom one for doing the oats. I have steamed fish, veggies, and brown rice in there. You could do them all at once if you don't mind the food juices from the top tier dripping into your rice bowl. It has a 12 hour delay settling. I wasn't sure what it would do to the oats sitting in the water for 12 hours, so I haven't tried it yet.
  • emmie110
    Options
    Do the steel cut oats have a different texture than the basic oatmeal that comes in the packages??

Yes!! I find those rolled oats bland now. It's hard to describe the texture though - kind of chewy I guess. The flavor is even different - kind of nutty. But you can add so many things to change the flavor if you don't like them plain.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Now if I wanted to take the time to make them the night before they would keep okay in the fridge for the next morning? Do you just re-heat in the microwave??

Also, what's the difference between Frozen steel cut, quick cook steel cut and irish steel cut? Those are the kind listed for trader joe's.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    BUMP!

what's the difference between Frozen steel cut, quick cook steel cut and irish steel cut? Those are the kind listed for trader joe's.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Now if I wanted to take the time to make them the night before they would keep okay in the fridge for the next morning? Do you just re-heat in the microwave??

Also, what's the difference between Frozen steel cut, quick cook steel cut and irish steel cut? Those are the kind listed for trader joe's.

I made some yesterday, heated em up this morning and YUM! They are good about 3-4 days in the fridge.

I have never bought the frozen, but guess they are just as good for you (check for sugar and sodium) I am not so sure about 'quick' the hull is prob removed so check that.

I dont have a TJ's so :cry:

:drinker: