Shave Off A Few?

Options
I'm wondering...Does anyone ever get recommended caloric intake below 1200? I'm barely 5'1' tall and I'm very small-boned. I've been sticking with the recommended calories (1200) or less, but my scale has barely budged.
And then I did my BMI, and it suggested 1137 calories.
Suggestions? Should I try to keep my calories around 1100 or less?

Replies

• cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering...Does anyone ever get recommended caloric intake below 1200? I'm barely 5'1' tall and I'm very small-boned. I've been sticking with the recommended calories (1200) or less, but my scale has barely budged.
    And then I did my BMI, and it suggested 1137 calories.
    Suggestions? Should I try to keep my calories around 1100 or less?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 and more on the days you exercise.

BMI is what you need to keep your organs functioning if you did nothing but rest all day. You do more than rest so you need to eat.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and have never had to eat 1200 calories per day. Even with less muscle mass a couple years back I ate 1500 cal/day to lose. When my scale stops moving, I eat maintenance calories (around 2000) for a few weeks to allow a hormonal adjustment that is more supportive of fat loss. It's not recommended to eat less than 1200 calories/day without the assistance of a doctor.
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    :smile: *lurking here*
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about *cough* maintaining the beaver for swimsuit season....booooooo!:laugh:
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm 4'11.5
    ..;yes, 0.5 D: its important.

I vary how much I eat usually. It can go anywhere between 900-1400 depending on what I'm doing that day.. my probably ineffective version of zigzagging :3

I'm still losing weight so I'm assuming its all good and if you feel alright with eating less and you're still dropping weight I'd go for it. You can't assume 1200 is the magic number for everyone. It's just whats safe for the average person.
    And when they calculated the number I'm guessing the average person wasn't 5"0 and less : P

But its usually when I eat the big meals the day before and have a nice good workout that I see any significant weight loss the next day. Correlation? Maybe.