Drop 5 pounds in 24 hours

Options
I've seen lots of threads with weight loss "plans" that claim to be able to give large losses in a short period of time. I figured I'd toss out the one my high school wrestling coach advocated in the 48 hours before weigh ins. As a wrestler, you always wanted to be in the lowest weight class you could get down to. So losing 3-5 pounds could make a big difference. My goal was to be at 130 pounds at weigh in. If I was 130, I could end up wrestling somebody who weighed as little as 118 pounds. If I was 131, I got to go up against guys who might weigh up to 145. And believe me, wrestling somebody 10 pounds heavier makes a big difference.

So the quick 5 pound weight loss? Spitting. Yes, spit. The coach's method was to get a large pack of gum, pop one piece in your mouth. Start spitting. And keep spitting. Over and over and over. Replace gum as needed. From my own experience, it worked to drop a little weight. I don't know the max you could lose that way. And obviously, you gain it back as soon as you start drinking. But with wrestling, that was OK as you usually did weigh in during the morning or even the day before. so then you ran out and ate big meal and drank a lot of water before your match.

Yep, there are lots of crazy ideas out there on how to quickly lose a few pounds.......

EDIT TO ADD-- AS SOME PEOPLE CAN'T FIGURE OUT FROM THAT LINE JUST ABOVE THIS ONE THAT MY POINT IS THIS IS A STUPID IDEA AND IS NOT A REAL WAY TO LOSE POUNDS, I'm ADDING THIS LINE WHICH SAYS "THIS IS A STUPID IDEA AND IS NOT A REAL WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN A FEW HOURS. YOU ARE DEHYDRATING YOURSELF AND WILL JUST GAIN IT BACK WHEN YOU DRINK SOME WATER AGAIN. THAT IS, IF YOU HAVEN'T KILLED YOURSELF FROM SEVERE DEHDRATION AND ASSOCIATED ISSUES.

Does that work for those of you who only read part of posts?

Replies

• HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I normally try to stay very positive on here but that is a ridiculous and disgusting idea. Silly wrestling coach!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    How about jumping rope in the showers, wearing a rubber suit, with all the showers pouring out hot water?
    Don't eat or drink anything for 24 hours?
    Eat nothing but celery and a few ounces of water for a week?

How about this one? Chop off an arm! (end snark)

My BF used to be a wrestler. Now he can gain weight sucking on a wet rock. Not a healthy lifestyle at all! I heard a lot of these same stories from my friends who did crew. But they were expected to keep that weight off for the season! Bleh!

There ARE some crazy diet plans out there, indeed! :wink:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    yep, it was pretty disgusting. One of my teammates would carry a plastic cup with him to classes and try to quietly spit into the cup during class. That was simply nasty.

Good coach but had some weird ideas about many things.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You know that's just dehydration, don't you?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why exactly are you telling everyone this?

ATTENTION PEOPLE OF MFP: This is not a valid or safe 'weight loss method'.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    lol my husband used to be a wrestling coach hes always telling me crazy stuff like this, but you are cery right there are all kinds of crazy ideas on how to drop a few quik pounds!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    That's an idiotic method that only dehydrates you to drain your body of WATER and "lose" WATER weight.
  • malibukaty11
    malibukaty11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ::::sits back and waits for new posts about the "Spitting Diet" craze:::::
  • rjt1000
    Options
    How about jumping rope in the showers, wearing a rubber suit, with all the showers pouring out hot water?
    Don't eat or drink anything for 24 hours?
    Eat nothing but celery and a few ounces of water for a week?

How about this one? Chop off an arm! (end snark)

My BF used to be a wrestler. Now he can gain weight sucking on a wet rock. Not a healthy lifestyle at all! I heard a lot of these same stories from my friends who did crew. But they were expected to keep that weight off for the season! Bleh!

There ARE some crazy diet plans out there, indeed! :wink:

horse racing jockeys are the craziest. One British jockey was known for a diet of a cup of tea and smoking multiple cigars.
  • rjt1000
    Options

OF COURSE IT'S NOT SAFE. Did I in any way indicate it was a smart way to do anything? Seriously.

Why did I post this? To try and highlight the stupidity of all of the "quick weight loss" ideas and plans that get thrown around.

ATTENTION PEOPLE OF MFP-- DUH-- don't try this at home.....
  • rjt1000
    Options
    You know that's just dehydration, don't you?

Yes, I think that's pretty clear in my post where I said "And obviously, you gain it back as soon as you start drinking"
  • rjt1000
    Options
    That's an idiotic method that only dehydrates you to drain your body of WATER and "lose" WATER weight.

Yes, I think that was my point and I tried to emphasize it with the last line which read "Yep, there are lots of crazy ideas out there on how to quickly lose a few pounds....... "
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've seen lots of threads with weight loss "plans" that claim to be able to give large losses in a short period of time. I figured I'd toss out the one my high school wrestling coach advocated in the 48 hours before weigh ins. As a wrestler, you always wanted to be in the lowest weight class you could get down to. So losing 3-5 pounds could make a big difference. My goal was to be at 130 pounds at weigh in. If I was 130, I could end up wrestling somebody who weighed as little as 118 pounds. If I was 131, I got to go up against guys who might weigh up to 145. And believe me, wrestling somebody 10 pounds heavier makes a big difference.

So the quick 5 pound weight loss? Spitting. Yes, spit. The coach's method was to get a large pack of gum, pop one piece in your mouth. Start spitting. And keep spitting. Over and over and over. Replace gum as needed. From my own experience, it worked to drop a little weight. I don't know the max you could lose that way. And obviously, you gain it back as soon as you start drinking. But with wrestling, that was OK as you usually did weigh in during the morning or even the day before. so then you ran out and ate big meal and drank a lot of water before your match.

Yep, there are lots of crazy ideas out there on how to quickly lose a few pounds.......
    we wore plastic suites and ran for hours, practiced in a 120 degree room for 1.5 hours.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    ::::sits back and waits for new posts about the "Spitting Diet" craze:::::

LMAO! Ah, the crazy things athletes do to "make weight"!

I do think that this post was to shed light on the fact that these quick loss claims are usually crazy or dangerous!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

OF COURSE IT'S NOT SAFE. Did I in any way indicate it was a smart way to do anything? Seriously.

Why did I post this? To try and highlight the stupidity of all of the "quick weight loss" ideas and plans that get thrown around.

ATTENTION PEOPLE OF MFP-- DUH-- don't try this at home.....

Sorry OP - I totally jumped your *kitten* without reading very closely. But there are a lot of threads like this that end up being misinterpreted and someone will actually ask about it like it's a good idea. I'll take my "save the idiots" cape off for now and politely bow out of the thread.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    "we wore plastic suites and ran for hours, practiced in a 120 degree room for 1.5 hours. "

absolutely hated that. And vomiting just helped the whole dehydration process, didn't it?
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Alright, no one (including myself) could tell you were being sarcastic :/