spinach in food

Options
mugsisme
mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
Several people here make green smoothies and swear up and down that you can't taste the spinach you added to it.

I want to make a green meal, and I found some recipes that have pureed spinach added to it. Does it really and truly add no flavor, or does it depend on the food? For instance, I am making green mashed potatoes.
http://globworld.com/blog/2010/12/29/green-mashed-potatoes/

I would rather use pureed spinach than cooked, for the health benefits. Do you think the kids will taste it? (I plan to tell them I am using green color ... they don't have to know that the green color was not dye and spinach, right?)

I also have a side dish called couscous from scratch and use spinach to color that as well. What do you think? Can I pull this off?

Replies

• Willpowerofsteel
    Options
    I make green smoothies all the time and you really cannot taste it! My kids (ages 8, 6, and 2) watch me put the spinach, kale, or collard greens into the blender but they still drink it up with gusto. If you use orange and yellow fruit, the smoothie will be a beautiful green color - if you add anything red or purple to it, like berries, it will turn a gross brown. My favorite combo is orange juice, frozen mango chunks, frozen pineapple, a banana, and some raw leafy greens. If you're unsure about the taste of the greens, just start with a small handful, blend, and taste - if you can't taste it, add some more, bit by bit, until you find the right amount.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love my smoothies with spinach! It's become so much of a habit now that I honestly don't like them as much if they aren't green :P
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump...would love to hear some ideas
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Love spinach in smoothies - can't taste it at all.

Never tried it in mashed potatoes - I think I would try it and if there was any flavor from the spinach you could add Garlic or some parmesan cheese so you could call them Garlic or Cheesy potatoes.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I add spinach to just about everything. I dont puree it tho, but I also dont have kids so no need too.

I add it to:
    burgers (I make my own with ground beef, I hate the pre-made patties)
    spaghetti sauce
    alfredo sauce
    any type of egg bake I make (I make lots of egg bakes since its a great grab an go breakfast in the mornings!)
    stuffed bell peppers
    lasagna
    most casseroles I make...

you really can add it to everything. My BF loves spinach which is why I add it to anything I can think of. Plus is gets me my veggies! =P
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is there any advantage to hiding vegetables in the foods? I got a book on it, Liking hiding butternut squash in mac and cheese. I didn't see much nutritional benefit and it bumped up the carbs. (Not that the kids care; I thought it was a good idea for them to get their vegetables in secret.) Any thoughts on that?

I like the idea of hiding spinach in meat! That would work here. I personally love spinach. I don't find kale very pleasing. Wonder if I can hide it for myself????
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Is there any advantage to hiding vegetables in the foods? I got a book on it, Liking hiding butternut squash in mac and cheese. I didn't see much nutritional benefit and it bumped up the carbs. (Not that the kids care; I thought it was a good idea for them to get their vegetables in secret.) Any thoughts on that?

I like the idea of hiding spinach in meat! That would work here. I personally love spinach. I don't find kale very pleasing. Wonder if I can hide it for myself????

I add veggies into thing simply because I don't ever just cook a piece of chicken or steak or whatever and then have sides to go with it. All my food has to be mixed in someway. I don't like my veggies plain and there are days when I dont like eating meat =P So its like I'm hiding the meat too.. Wow this makes me sound so picky!

I add butternut squash to my lasagna and stuffed bell peppers. I haven't tried it in mac and cheese but now I want too!!
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i cant stand pureed spinach, especially canned.

but i do love fresh spinach.

i even will put it in a stir fry right at the end and just blanch it basically.
  • nikkijay25
    nikkijay25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do 2 cups of Spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 pear, 1 cup almond milk blend up and drink up.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I take an immersion blender and puree fresh baby spinach in Asparagus/Leek soup. It's a great reminder of the change in seasons, the perfect spring time soup. Can be served hot (broth) or cold (cream-based).

I do think that baby spinach tastes a little sweeter than plain large-leaf spinach (which I think is bitter).