annoying things people say...

edith_t
edith_t Posts: 109 Member
...to make themselves feel better about food

eg. 'oo i really shouldn't' or 'it's ok, i didn't have breakfast' when presented with dessert.

i eat the things i like because i budget them into my daily allowance. so when i eat them, i hope to be able to enjoy them. it drives me crazy when the people around me are justifying eating a piece of cake to us all whilst we are eating it. what's the point in eating it if you're going to send everyone around you on a massive guilt trip?

anyone agree or am i on my own with this one? :)

Replies

• BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    OK that was a totally unnecessary response...
  • edith_t
    you make yourself feel above everyone else...awesome for you.

Your statement of "'it's ok, i didn't have breakfast' when presented with dessert. "...this is, in a sense, tracking food, just as you do. Rather than post in the General Diet & Weight Loss area, or better post this at all...keep your opinions of how others see their possible challenge of a healthy lifestyle to yourself...that is, unless you can give them assistance on bringing the realizations of their choices and actions to the forefront.

yikes. would that be the same way in which you clearly feel above me?
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member

Your statement of "'it's ok, i didn't have breakfast' when presented with dessert. "...this is, in a sense, tracking food, just as you do. Rather than post in the General Diet & Weight Loss area, or better post this at all...keep your opinions of how others see their possible challenge of a healthy lifestyle to yourself...that is, unless you can give them assistance on bringing the realizations of their choices and actions to the forefront.

Go take a hike. Exercise improves one's mood, I've heard.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Im with you on this one but i usually notice the people that arent really on a diet are the ones that say stuff like that. maybe its because they are self concious about what the people around them are thinking about them eating the cake.
    I used to feel like that everytime i ate in public when i was at my heaviest. i assumed that everyone around me was thinking "theres fat-*kitten* eating AGAIN"
  • Although I don't feel nearly as harsh as the other person, I don't feel as you do about the food issues. If someone wants a piece of cake, they owe no one an explanation. There's no reason for you to be on a guilt trip over her choices, or for her to be on one over your choices. Live and let live.

There are far worse things in this world than someone who feels she must explain her food choices while eating cake. This is part of our society that looks down on fat people for eating desserts, etc. that cause people to feel they have to explain. Not that you made her feel that way, but that our society's attitude toward dieting made her feel that way. She really should just be able to enjoy it without apology or explanation.

And you and anyone else it bothers probably should find a distraction and don't let it bother you. Believe me, as you go through this life, you are going to face much bigger challenges than that person eating a dessert and talking about it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Your comments are entertaining, the least. Dont be hurt that I put out there a mirror effect in for a post that is based purely on interpretation in the Diet and Weight Loss Help section rather than the attention whoring Fun and Games realm.

My interpretation is of the OP attacking people that make excuses yet she provided a statement showing tracking of food. Get over yourselves thinking you are greater than another.

And nowhere do I say that I am better than another...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Doesnt really annoy me but then again, I rarely give a damn about anything. But something like this shouldnt really bother anyone else since its not really directed at you, its just them telling themselves out loud the reason (or excuse, w/e the case maybe) for eating that cake. Now if they were to tell me "I thought you were trying to lose weight" or "should you really eat that" I would just tell them "Go f**k yourself" and continue eating the cake but thats just me.
  • edith_t
    Although I don't feel nearly as harsh as the other person, I don't feel as you do about the food issues. If someone wants a piece of cake, they owe no one an explanation. There's no reason for you to be on a guilt trip over her choices, or for her to be on one over your choices. Live and let live.

There are far worse things in this world than someone who feels she must explain her food choices while eating cake. This is part of our society that looks down on fat people for eating desserts, etc. that cause people to feel they have to explain. Not that you made her feel that way, but that our society's attitude toward dieting made her feel that way. She really should just be able to enjoy it without apology or explanation.

And you and anyone else it bothers probably should find a distraction and don't let it bother you. Believe me, as you go through this life, you are going to face much bigger challenges than that person eating a dessert and talking about it.

No doubt. A little patronising, but yes you are right that it is symptomatic of a society that does make people for guilty for indulging but then throws adverts, cookery shows and restaurants at them left right and centre.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Actually I don't see a problem with either of those statements. Maybe the person really shouldn't have it. Maybe they can fit it in since they skipped breakfast. Seems reasonable. And not directed at you, so why would it make you feel guilty or keep you from enjoying your food? Maybe you have some underlying guilt you need to deal with.
  • I am above you all.

/thread
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member

*kitten*!

lol :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    I am above you all.

/thread
    No, you're below us all.

Except now that I've replied to you, I'm below you. Curses!
  • edith_t
    Actually I don't see a problem with either of those statements. Maybe the person really shouldn't have it. Maybe they can fit it in since they skipped breakfast. Seems reasonable. And not directed at you, so why would it make you feel guilty or keep you from enjoying your food? Maybe you have some underlying guilt you need to deal with.

Because it's negative. That's why. It's hard to enjoy something if the person next to you is going on about why you shouldn't
  • ElizabethRoad
    I honestly don't see anything negative about the examples you gave. I think it's your perception.

And in neither example did the person say anything about why you shouldn't have it.
  • edith_t
    I honestly don't see anything negative about the examples you gave. I think it's your perception.

And in neither example did the person say anything about why you shouldn't have it.

they're not the best examples. it more the general negative attitude of people towards good food that should be enjoyed properly
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Nope. C:
    I am above you all.

/thread
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Let them eat cake!
  • ElizabethRoad

they're not the best examples. it more the general negative attitude of people towards good food that should be enjoyed properly
    So first you give specific examples and then when people disagree, you say those examples aren't what you were talking about, but rather some nebulous idea. I see. Have fun with your complaining.
  • Honestly, you eat what you want. How others see what your eating or their reactions to it should mean little. If someone disapproves of what you are eating, then they can go float a boat. It is up to each individual person to regulate their own menu and really, who cares if you eat cake. If you feel guilty afterwards, then don't do it in the first place. Seems pretty simple to me.
  • edith_t

So first you give specific examples and then when people disagree, you say those examples aren't what you were talking about, but rather some nebulous idea. I see. Have fun with your complaining.

no those examples were what i was talking about, but they were examples. the original post (and subsequent ones) goes on to explain the idea more fully.