Burnt Calories in Public Bus?

Options
I can not find anything but I wonder,, if the bus is full and you are forced to stand up, holding to pole or whatever,, and rode for a while (in my case, express bus, no stop for 40 minutes),, dealing with all kind of motions which takes muscles in both legs and arms to keep yourself in balance,,, Is this something you can count as burnt calories?

I was not able to find anything supporting my theory. :frown:

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. It's just a part of daily activities.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options

that
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I can not find anything but I wonder,, if the bus is full and you are forced to stand up, holding to pole or whatever,, and rode for a while (in my case, express bus, no stop for 40 minutes),, dealing with all kind of motions which takes muscles in both legs and arms to keep yourself in balance,,, Is this something you can count as burnt calories?

If you don't rely too much on your arms, it will engage your abs more.

I don't think it think it burns enough to log, though... but I'm far from a pro at this
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    How fast was it going?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

that

yep
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

No, the calories you burnt would only be a fraction more than what you would have burned during that time anyway.

It is not aerobic nor is it a specific workout session.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Try a more aggressive form of holding onto the pole, you'll burn more calories in 40 minutes if you can stick with it

7453.jpg
  • spottedlee
    Options
    How fast was it going?
    60 miles a hour on freeway,, our freeways around Seattle are both curvy and hilly and it was during rush hour, with many sudden stops...

As for "daily",, I ride the bus twice a month, so it's not daily.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Try a more aggressive form of holding onto the pole, you'll burn more calories in 40 minutes if you can stick with it

7453.jpg

maybe doing pullups while hanging on the bar?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Pulling the bus is best.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options

7453.jpg

hahahah this<33
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

that

yep
    nod
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't count it either. It's just a little (not sure how big, or small) bonus for the days you have to do it :)
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    happened to me once when i was holding on for dear life on a crowded highway bus. so my guess is you probably got some nice upper-body strength workout, but as the HR dint elevate much, not much of calories burned to log.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options

7453.jpg

This made me laugh out loud :)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't count it either. It's just a little (not sure how big, or small) bonus for the days you have to do it :)
    I agree with this. I take a 20 minute ride, 40 round trip, by boat about 2-3 times a week and stand up as well. I honestly don't think the 'calories burned' are anything worth logging. But to each their own I guess.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is precisely the type of daily activities that is going to draw it's energy mainly from fat stores, exactly the type that should not be fed.

Now, if you could pace on the bus while it's moving, that would be even better. 40 min slow walk while engaging muscles to not end up in people laps.

And hey, if you do a hit a lap or two, perhaps get some money for it too! Especially if that pole is involved!
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options

7453.jpg

made my night lol
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to log the activity I would compare it to something like standing. People log Housekeeping; Breast feeding and sex, why should the OP not be allowed to log their bus ride?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to log the activity I would compare it to something like standing. People log Housekeeping; Breast feeding and sex, why should the OP not be allowed to log their bus ride?

Why would anybody want to log standing anyway? How many calories do you think standing burns?