HIIT with elliptical

Options

Replies

• Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I want to try this. Love the elliptical. So 2 minutes of 2-4 resistance
    then 30 sec at 8. Repeat for 20u minutes.
    Is this right.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    so how can you figure out how many calories you are burning? i do have a hrm but if i'm going up and down like that i can't constantly be touching the button on my hrm to get a reading...

You throw away that HRM and get one with a strap :)

But, regardless of that, calories during HIIT are somewhat irrelevant. The exercise time is short and as you said, the heart is going from steady to high beats in short periods of time, I doubt that even the best HRM will be able to calculate calories burned accurately.

The theory of HIIT is that your post exercise time is where your body will burn calories trying to recover.
    Totally agree with this. You get increased EPOC (Excess Post Exercise Energy Consumption). This in and of itself is not the only reason to do HIIT. If fat burning only is your goal, steady state cardio comes out better but as part of an overall training regimen, HIIT increaases your overall fitness and endurance for other types of activity or training. There are some excellent articles on HIIT here.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/methods-of-endurance-training-part-5-interval-training-part-1.html

ok so i want to focus of burning fat, so steady state is the way i should go then? once i get that fat off me then i can do hiit?

I am not an expert, but I have done some reading. In the Tabata study, participants who did aerobics burned twice as many calories during their exercise time, but the ones who did HIIT burned 9 times as much fat. Look it up, talk to a trainer also. One of the other things I keep on reading is that not everyone is ready for HIIT when they first start exercising. I talked to my trainer at the Y about it and he said there were lots of ways to start working intervals in, and that it would be best for me to start slow and work my way up. I have no idea what your conditioning is, and I wouldn't dream of telling you how to start. I would stress that maybe you should talk to someone who is actually a trainer to see what is right for you and how you want to work up to that 20 minute interval training everyone is talking about.

BTW, I have 100 pounds to lose, and my trainer told me aerobics were essential, and HIIT was good too. So there is that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Is this right.

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    90 seconds rest at low rate.
    repeat 8X

That is the Peak 8. You can also get more info by doing a search on it. Hope that helps!
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump...great info! Thanks!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Is this right.

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

That is the Peak 8. You can also get more info by doing a search on it. Hope that helps!

too much rest ;)
  • mmapags
    Options
    Is this right.

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

too much rest ;)

The shortest 90 seconds in history!! :tongue:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do it on the Arc trainer. I do a 5 min warm up, then for the next 5 mins I do 45 secs at max then 75 sec rest and repeat. Then I 5 mins of stead high pace. Afterwards I return to HIIT for 7 mins but I increase to 60 secs for max and rest. Next 5 mins are stead pace and then a cool down.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Won't quote all the great info already posted. HIIT is AWESOME and your metabolic rate stays elevated for up to 48 hours after you're done, from what I've heard. Great thread!!
  • pauljsolie
    Options

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

too much rest ;)
    [/quote]

SERIOUSLY???? Crap, that is the exact routine I've been doing. Should I just reverse the two?
  • simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    If anyone is interested in a interval training program for the elliptical trainer I've just printed this one to take with me to the gym...

http://exercise.about.com/library/blellipticalinterval.htm
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

too much rest ;)

SERIOUSLY???? Crap, that is the exact routine I've been doing. Should I just reverse the two?
    [/quote]

Kinda serious :) No, that is ok, if the 30 seconds is very hard then 90 seconds rest is doable..as long as you aren't fully recovered...

aim for lower and lower rest...once you get to 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off you'll be feeling the burn :)
  • cookie60five
    Options
    I watched a programme that was recently on the BBC in the UK, where they did HIT for 3 x 20 second bursts at maximum intensity, so a total of a 1 minute workout with recovery time between each 20 burst, 3 times per week, so basically 3 minutes per week, it was really interesting and also had a segment about NEAT non exercise activity training where you move every hour. I've copied the link to the BBC website which gives information about the programme. The doctor that took part was very sceptical about it working but he intends continuing with it. :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251
  • pauljsolie
    Options

too much rest ;)
    Kinda serious :) No, that is ok, if the 30 seconds is very hard then 90 seconds rest is doable..as long as you aren't fully recovered...

aim for lower and lower rest...once you get to 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off you'll be feeling the burn :)

Ok, thanks. I know in the Insanity workouts, it is like 3 minutes intense then 30 seconds rest. I guess I should have known to do that on the elliptical too.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes I do intervals on the elliptical. I do the Walk off weight 20 min program (so far, it's new). It's only been 2 weeks so no noticible results yet except that I CAN DO IT. I don't dread it so much - kind of like it, actually.
    I AM stronger and my undies are baggy enough that I need new so something's working
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. The great part of HIIT training is you can do it on virtually any cardio machine.

I warmed up for 2 minutes
    I picked a midhigh resistance - S0, a 7 out of 10.
    I pushed at a slow to moderate pace for 30 seconds
    I pushed as hard as I could for 1 minute.

Keep switching back and forth until you hit 25 minutes.

You should be drenched when your done. Your hard push segment should be very difficult. This workout is all about PUSHING yourself.

HIIT training is AMAZING.
    Thanks for posting. I'll have to try this. :D
  • shanshyne18
    shanshyne18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    what is HIIT with elliptical?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Is this right.

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

too much rest ;)

Much Agreed with all your statements. You cannot really do HIIT on a treadmill or elliptical correctly. The best HIIT workouts are usually with 45 seconds on 15 sec rest or 30 seconds on 10 sec rest. Use weights in it as well. Everyone seems to be describing straight interval training rather than HIIT. There are known as Tabata Method.

I have a few workouts in my exercise diary that I do that are HIIT workouts. It is open to anyone so please view under group training and if you want to lift some weights check out the Crossfit exercises.
  • mmapags
    Options

3 minute warm up
    30 seconds all out
    repeat 8X

too much rest ;)

[/quote]

This is true. After my first interval, I recover fairly quickly, by the 5th, I am at 100% of max heart rate during, and never drop more than 10 points for the rest of the way out. The key is going all out. Or you can go 85% to 90% and shorten the rest. There are more than one way to skin the cat. I've never done a max heart rate teat but using the quick and dirty calculation of 220 minus your age, I'm 60. So max is 160. I'm pushing mid to high 160s during ans right after as my body tries to play catch up, drop down to about 155, 154 during rest. I go totally anaerobic at between 15 and 20 seconds. So zafferFL is right about how hard you go and not getting fully recovered. Maybe someday, I'll be able to work it down and be as cool as him ;) but right now it ain't happening! Those 30 seconds feel like forever and the 90 seconds go by in a flash!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the responses so apologies if something similar has been suggested but I do HIIT on the elliptical by squatting down a bit (hold on to lower bars if available) and going as fast as I can for 30-60 seconds. Then go back to normal pace for 90 seconds, reverse direction, continue at normal speed for 30 seconds, then squat and go fast backwards for 30-60 seconds. I did this for 12 minutes the other day and the sweat was pouring off me. Settings depend on the type of machine you have but I usually set both resistance and incline at 10.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I'm definitely gonna try some of these ideas!