Am I in for a rude awakening? *Running*

Options
13»

Replies

• memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Running outside is easier for me. Running on a treadmill KILLs my shins.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    i think running on treadmeal is harder IMO.. I mean it is so boring, and you can go outdoors, and run i guess the view makes it more pleasent so to me i feel it is easier and i run faster outside.. I Dont know it may be just me i guess. But this is what works for me. It is different so maybe take that in mind and when you go try it give your self a couple of weeks to get used to it. I think you are gonna love it..
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    With that incline, I seriously think you will be fine. I actually run slower on the treadmill. :)
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think you will do fine on the 10K. I run back and forth, treadmill and outside. the incline will help mimic the outdoors. when i trained for my 10k i only did 3 miles every other day cuz i didnt have time to train more. i was nervous on race day so i had a preworkout drink. The adrenaline of being outside with a group will keep you going. i had so much fun when i did my 10k.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner as well and have been taking a Learn to Run clinic for the last few months. This topic was discussed by one of the professionals that was brought in. Some of the things that I remember learning were.....

--the treadmill belt helps by pulling our feet a little underneath us. We are exerting less energy then if we were running outdoors. So, it may be a bit more challenging in the start...and even our running stride may change....

--the elements such as wind, cold air, hot air, rain, snow, sand, hard concrete may require more use of energy and be a bit more challenging...

That being said, the fact that you are using an incline & changing your speeds will be beneficial. You are training yourself to use more energy on the treadmill so then when you go running outside you will be able to keep your stamina up.

Don't worry too much! And way to go on the running!
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just started running this year. When I run on the mill, I do a cross country program which varies in the inclines. It starts at 6.5 and goes up to 12.5. I run at about 3.5 speed. I do run faster and farther when I'm outside. I can get about 5.5 miles in an hour. I'll be doing my first 5K on April 1.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Watch out for injuries!!!!!! Seriously, I did exactly what you did when I was training for my first half marathon. I trained exclusively on a treadmill and on a soft trail in the woods. When race day came, I didn't realize how unprepared my feet were for concrete. It wasn't until we hit a section that was downhill. Crashing down on concrete left me with a stress fracture in my left foot at mile 3. Because I was favoring that foot, I developed a stress fracture in my right foot at mile 7! I couldn't run again for 3 months after that.

YMMV! But do take caution. If you are not used to running on concrete, make sure to take it easy for your race. This is hard to do because race-day adrenaline is always high and it is tempting to keep pace with other runners. Try to get out on the road at least once or twice before you go if you can! xo
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors as well, but just for the boredom factor. Because of weather constraints I actually run more on the TM and then on the weekends take it outside. I can always go further when I'm outside.

If you're interested in tracking yourself outside to see how far you are running, and to check your pace, I recommend using the "Endomondo" app. It's awesome. It maps out where you run, and tells you your average speed and mile pace. It's available for both iphone and Android...
  • jsmeltzer
    Options
    I use the treadmill for intervals twice a week. Being able to measure out a quarter mile and pump the speed up to exactly what I want is easier for me than landmarking and sprinting between them.

The two running styles, for me, are completely different, but equally challenging. The backward force that the treadmill produces makes it hard on the hamstrings and shins. You don't realize it at first, but trying to stop your feet from whipping backwards takes a lot of energy. Try getting on the treadmill from a stop and the MPH at 9 and see what I mean.

Outside is much more work on the thighs and the focus on pace. Environmental variables like hills can be planned out if you do a quick survey of your path. If you do find some hills, take them and take them hard if you want your times to drop.

Finally, my answer to the question is that they are both equally challenging in their own right. I agree with most posters that I seems to "float" more outside just due to the scenery changes. I don't think you will be shocked when you move outdoors, but you will have an adjustment period, probably just a few runs. Then you wont want to use the mill anymore.

Thanks
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. Since you've been practicing using an incline you should be better prepared.

I personally love running outside much better than the treadmill. There are sites to see, it isn't as tedious. True, you have those hills that can be dreadful, but for every uphill, there is a downhill. When I'm running downhill I feel like I could run forever.

Wind can sometimes be a difference too, especially when its blowing at you (gets in my mouth and can take my breath away) but again, it can make it feel so good if you're hot.

Overall, I tend to run about the same pace outside as I do on the treadmill.

Best of luck! :)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I actually run faster outside than on the treadmill...also, you do not necessarily have to wait for it to warm, running outside at 35-40 degrees F is not that cold...I actually end up taking off my top layer after the first mile!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's different. Your body will feel outdoor runs a little bit more. It's a little harder on your body, but you are doing a good job simulated it with the incline.
    You have done well. You have plenty of time ebfore the 10k in May. Difference between running on a treadmill and outside is the physical impact on your legs, usually the quads. If you ran the 10k without eevr running outside, you would hurt for a few days. Sicne you have plenty of time till May, just gradually build up to it. First time outside, just do a mile and build up from there. You go girl!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It will take you a while to adjust but you'll be fine in a few weeks. Although once I got used to running outside I find the treadmill next to impossible. I hate it. Now I run outside no matter how cold it is.

I love running outside too! It's a huge difference for me. I used to refuse to run if I had to run on a treadmill but it's just not convenient right now, and now I’m starting to like the treadmill (but never like outside).
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I realized today how important it is to dress appropriately when running outside. I didn't realize how warm it was and I overdressed, I tired out way to early, barely got in 3 miles when 3.5 is normal on weekdays at lunch in the cold.
  • willismack2
    Options
    Make the transition to running outside gradually. Try a short easy run once or twice a week. After you can handle that a few weeks then add in some longer runs. Build slowly over a 5 or 6 week period and you should be able to then handle the additional stress that outside running requires. You will adapt, but if you want to avoid chance of injury - be wise.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I find running on the treadmill near to impossible. I don't do it.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My general rule is that it will feel 20 degrees warmer than the air temperature when running (a coach told me that), so I dress that way every time I go out for a run.
    I realized today how important it is to dress appropriately when running outside. I didn't realize how warm it was and I overdressed, I tired out way to early, barely got in 3 miles when 3.5 is normal on weekdays at lunch in the cold.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was harder to run on a treadmill because I get sooooo bored. If you run on grass after a treadmill, you will want to pay attention to how your feet hit the ground so they don't roll. You should also wear layers when you run so you can lose some as you run. Wind and rain make running outside much more fun!
  • Glact
    Glact Posts: 9
    Options
    i did this and i found that running on a treadmill was completely different than running outside. i would increase my incline to 3 and run at about 7 i was doing great on a treadmill, but when i did actaully hit the pavement i started getting shin splints and I found it signifcantly more difficult running outside. most of this is due to the fact that treadmill is basically running for you, all you have to do is move your legs, also with the treadmill it almost bounces when you run it is forgiving on your legs and back , but when you hit the ground the earth is not going to move when you take a step to cushion your steps. Be careful when you do transition try to get out and try one mile at a time, build up from there and see how it goes. if it seems fine for you then that is great but definately dont expect to be able to run 5-6 miles the first time your out there, it will feel different.
  • GraceOrr
    GraceOrr Posts: 44
    Options
    I only run outside and if I had to go back to running on the tm I might give it up. I find it harder to run on the tm and boring as hell. It sounds to me like someone is trying to scare you. If you are running that much on the tm, you are going to be just fine on race day. Once you run outside, WARNING, you may be hooked for life. Your going to love it and you are gonna do great. You should be very proud of yourself that you have come so far in so little time. Plus on race day, since its your first, you wil most likely get race day jitters which you will be riding on for the whole run. You are gonna have so much fun.....
    Im running a half marathon this sunday.....:D
    Happy running!!